SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Entomologists: What is this thing on my kitchen window ??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Entomologists: What is this thing on my kitchen window ?? Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted
Here in Lower Alabama, expected high today is 90 with a slight chance of rain. It's the insect time of year and the next good rain will likely bring an explosion of insects.

Enjoying a morning cup of coffee, I looked up to see this thing on the outside of my kitchen window. So the view is of the underside of the insect. My guess is the body is about an inch and a half long.

Any ideas what this thing might be ?? ... Thanks !!!

Posts: 4731 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Looks like a leaf-footed bug.

Q

Posts: 26547 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Looks like a leaf-footed bug.

NAILED it ... I think ... THANKS !!!
EDIT: But if that's it, this is a BIG one

Posts: 4731 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Posts: 26547 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
OK youse guys are good, went out to move the front water sprinkler and this thing was on the wall, big SOB too, 4 wings, and pincers that it closed aggressively when I picked it up by the wings, body was about 1 and Half inch long, total about three

Posts: 23611 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank YOU !!! Smile

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
OK youse guys are good, went out to move the front water sprinkler and this thing was on the wall, big SOB too, 4 wings, and pincers that it closed aggressively when I picked it up by the wings, body was about 1 and Half inch long, total about three

This thing is still a mystery though ...

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I believe the answer is an ant, sir.
Carpenter ant queen?

Do Florida trapjaw ants have wings?

Based on size though, South American Dinoponera.

Posts: 11035 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Looks like a target for a thermonuclear weapon.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31490 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Looks like a target for a thermonuclear weapon.

From orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Q

posted Hide Post
"It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater"

Well, maybe not - I think them critters went extent in the late 1950's.....and some of us 1950's teenagers aren't too far behind. Confused

Posts: 1630 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:...

Dobson fly

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43930 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:...

Dobson fly

That appears to be a winner..

Posts: 23611 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Stick bug.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Interesting, the dobsonfly’s larvae are hellgrammites, but not the ones we used to fish with. Do not search for images of them on the internet.

Posts: 11035 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
HRK,

Whatever the hell that thing is, you keep it there in Orlando. We don't need it here in St. Pete. Eek

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Although many despise Google, it does have a very simple search engine that will look at your picture and return the object name and other example pictures.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5090 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post