SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Done with Windows 10.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Done with Windows 10. Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
LBTRS, my experience, re: MS-Windows vs. Unix/Linux, has been precisely the opposite of yours.

I specified, purchased, installed and maintained Unix, Xenix, Linux and BSD servers, Unix and Linux desktops, and MS-Windows desktops (Win3.x through 7) in a corporate environment from sometime around 1986 or so until mid-2017. Full-time starting sometime around 1992 or so. (There had been one MS-Windows NT server in that time period, as well.)

My experience with *nix installations was they were almost invariably as reliable and trouble-free as one could ask for. Not that they never gave me any grief. And not that they couldn't sometimes be a PITA. But, generally speaking: I set 'em up, configured 'em, updated them as-necessary, and otherwise they just ran. And ran and ran. Day-in, day-out.

The MS-Windows machines, regardless of vintage, including the high-ish-end H-P MS-WinNT server I managed for a while, were a nearly constant PITA.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My experience is the exact opposite of 0-0 and Ensigmatic. I'm running 4 Surface Pros with W10 at home and I never have to dick with them. Those machines are used for driver development and web API development. The only time they are rebooted is when they receive an update or when I travel. (Rarely in the last year) They've never been hosed by an update. My work office is all W10 desktops. Issues are minimal. (I don't maintain the desk tops but my golfing friend does and he loves the OS). Maybe the reason I don't have problems with my Surface Pros is due to the fact that a MS OS is running on MS hardware?

Good luck with your Linux distro 0-0. Let us know how you like it.

Posts: 7561 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience there is a big difference in performance between W10 Home and the Pro or Enterprise versions. My home laptop runs W10 Pro and my work laptop runs W10 Enterprise. Before upgrading from Home to Pro, I had all kinds of performance issues on the home laptop, which is an HP. My work laptop is a Dell 7390 and it flies with W10 Enterprise. My conclusion is that W10 Home is just not for me.

One a side note, since 2012 I run most of by generic work on iPads with a keyboard. Using Office 365 on the iPad, I can do 99% of what I need a computer for. Large PPTs and complicated spreadsheet modeling still have to be done on a laptop, but the iPad version of 365 is getting better and better.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I gave windows and microsoft the finger 12 years ago and it’s been great. Get a Mac. It’s well worth the initial cost. Buy a used one if you have to.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7947 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Maybe the reason I don't have problems with my Surface Pros is due to the fact that a MS OS is running on MS hardware?

Interesting to see how what has always been seen by the PC crowd as an Apple weakness (walled garden, non-upgradeable) is now being presented as a strength. Welcome aboard!

There does come a time in your life where you don’t want to assemble a box of parts in your basement, but instead just want to use a computer without all the fuss. You’ve got other crap to do.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post