SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pressure Cooker
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pressure Cooker Login/Join 
posted
I didn’t want to hijack the other thread, but I was considering one of these recently but there seem to be a lot of choices. I recently had a pot roast that was made in one that was phenomenal.

So really I have a few questions.

1 - What brands do you like? Brands to stay away from? Any must have features?
2 - what size do I need? Just a family of 3, our daughter is only 4. I would want to do pot roast for sure, no idea what else I can do with it. We do have company often.
3 - What all do you cook in it? I currently have a cheap rice maker from Costco I use weekly. I am assuming this would replace that? Cook rice better, or do I need to keep my Aroma?

Thanks for the insights. My wife and I both usually work until 6 or later, so speeding up the cooking process or automating it would be great.

Thanks!

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have a Fagor. I think it's a 6 quart. I think Fagor and Rapida are the same company.

Use your rice cooker for rice. Pressure cooking rice will likely result in porridge.

I use my pressure cooker for braising what would otherwise be inedibly tough cuts of beef for stew.

I'll also use it to speed up production of oxtail soup.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mom made baked beans in the pressure cooker.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I like heavy duty stuff, and I mostly use a pressure cooker for canning. Therefore, I like the All American cookers. They are awesome.

They have a Chef's line for smaller cookers as well.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I think it's overkill to use a pressure cooker to cook rice. As I understand it, pressure cooker is so that the food will cook at a higher temperature and you get more tender meat.

If you look at your rice cooker, it just vents to the atmosphere and it just automates cooking rice so you don't have to hover over it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i have had Presto 01370 8-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker the since 2011 https://www.amazon.com/Presto-...XXZJ6QK1DYBZKDM39FK9

i use it mostly for potatoes for mashed and it makes the best corn on the cob and a corned beef dinner is excellent

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Please forgive the thread drift. We’ve used a regular pressure cooker for nearly 50 years and will hardly use one any more. Here is why...
Fagor works, but the Instant Pot works much better. We bought an 8qt. Fagor a few months ago and haven’t used it as much as we thought we would. We recently bought a 6qt. Instant Pot and we are using the heck out of it. It is much easier to use and will do so much more. Check out a few YouTube videos. Plus you don’t have to monitor it like a regular pressure cooker. The keep warm mode is a really nice feature. It will keep the food warm for up to 10 hours. Your dinner can be done and waiting for you when you get home.
Costco has the 6qt. Size for a tad over $100. BTW, if you decide to get an I-Pot, order the glass lid for the inner pot. You won’t have to transfer the food into another container to store it in the fridge.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Instant Pot is all the rage right now.

We have a 6qt instant pot that is a couple of years old. It works really well and you can make a wide variety of dishes in it.

6Qt is enough food for 3 people including a 25 year old male but there are times I wish it was bigger. I would suggest the 8qt.

The newest instant pots have all the bells and whistles including automated pressure valve and set a start time.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We have a Nesco. All digital and it came from Amazon for not that much money. We use it all the time and it works great.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I think an electric pressure cooker like an InstaPot would be best if you want to do actual cooking. If you’re looking at food preservation, get whatever size AllAmerican will work for you. Made in USA, near indestructible, with no rubber seals - you’ll pass it down to your grandkids.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Standard pressure cookers are not recommended for canning as they don't generally have pressure gauges. Otherwise you can't tell if it's been held at the correct pressure for the needed time. Electric units are never recommended for canning.

I have a smaller cooker, and a 22 quart T-Fal canner.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
It was a rare day in my mother’s kitchen when her 4-qt Mirro Matic pressure cooker (the one with the jiggling weight) wasn’t in use. Usually several times a day. Soups, dry beans, potatoes, roasts, on and on.

When I started life as a single guy, I got one too, and used it until I could no longer buy gaskets for it. Then I reluctantly bought a 4-qt Fagor as the best available alternative. But I soon realized that the Fagor was a better utensil – stainless steel, so easier to maintain. I’ve used it several times a week, for several years. And I’m still on the original gasket.

The Instant Pot is popular these days, but I don’t think that it would fit in my cupboards, and counter space is too valuable to leave it out. And I don’t want to have to relearn the timings that I’ve developed for the Fagor.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Pipesmoker, I felt the same way, but ours is so handy and has taken over so many cooking duties we MADE room for it.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a forty year old Italian Stainless Steel... AETERNUM. Works great every time, simple design, timeless classic.

Posts: 1312 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys! I won’t be canning, so that is not a concern.

I do see recipes for different items that show cook time, but then other reviews show that the cook time doesn’t include the 20 minutes to get to temperature or the 10+ min to release the pressure. Seems everyone is calculating these things differently, might take some trial and error.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm a bit out of touch. Smile Never have used a pressure cooker and don't can food.

I have a couple year old Aroma ARC-616SB Rice cooker / steamer / slow cooker which has proved bullet proof for rice, oatmeal, etc. at a much cheaper price than the Zojirushi models.

Also on hand is an antique Dazey Chef's Pot which after probably 30 years continues to deliver the goods. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
This applies to instant pot.

There is a spin up time to come to pressure.

After cook time there is what is called:
Quick Release - manually release the steam pressure

Natural Release - let it sit until the pressure comes down naturally to release the valve

Sometimes a mix. 10 minutes NR then a QR.

Hunks of meat benefit from a NR. Most other foods use a period of time then a QR.

Certain shorter recipes can be accomplished in the same time on a regular stove.

You can make fall off the bone baby back ribs in less than an hour in a pressure cooker.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
The closest I got to a pressure cooker was a trip to KFC.

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
An Instant Pot is the pressure cooker you want these days. You won't be sorry.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
3 - What all do you cook in it? I currently have a cheap rice maker from Costco I use weekly. I am assuming this would replace that? Cook rice better, or do I need to keep my Aroma

I would keep the rice cooker. That way you can simultaneously cook rice and your entree.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16353 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post