SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you put a security certificate on a website that works?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you put a security certificate on a website that works? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I just have some webspace for my own needs but it's becoming less usable due to not having a really good security certificate. I'm not sure how to get one or install it.

I see this on my photo links now: "The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed."

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
What are you using for a web host? Do you have Cpanel access?

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The issue isn't the cert., it is that you haven't told your device/browser that the cert. is to be trusted.

More specifically, there is nothing inherently insecure about self-signed certificates. It is the trust that you put in the signer that matters.

Certificates from well-known Certificate Authorities are trusted by default in most browsers, but adding your own Authority to the trusted signers database is usually pretty simple.

Posts: 6789 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You have email, Oz.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know how to do this as well. Have a netsol cert, don't know how to apply it in IIS.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post