SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A story about my dad...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A story about my dad... Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that incredible story with the group. So many people in this, the greatest country in the world, complain about how tough they have it. They don't have a clue - not a clue. God Bless.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incredible story!!! A hero to his family that allowed his son to fulfill the dream…can’t get any better than that!

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Very glad your dad got your family through safe. And that he has kept his sense of humor.

Best wishes for his successful treatment and speedy recovery.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your story and you are obviously proud of your father as you should be.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Great story David! Thanks for sharing!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Dave, thanks for sharing that story. Your dad is a badass of the highest order, and the rest of your family as well. We in this country are fortunate that people with the grit and determination of your family chose to make it your home.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Mr. Nen, my friend with the chicken farm that I go rat hunting with told me how he escaped Vietnam after a night of heavy drinking and rat killing. He NEVER talks about it.

He was 12 when Saigon fell and the soldiers came.

The NVA murdered his family in front of the village for owning the small farm.

Nen was soon captured after he ran away and sent to re-education and put into a NVA regiment. He and several others shot their way across to Cambodia and swapped uniforms until they reached the coast to hijack a boat. Nen said he killed many men on his way to freedom.

The boat ran out of fuel trying to get to Thailand and was adrift for days. There was no food or water. The other men died from exposure, dehydration and they were already malnourished.

A patrol boat found him and took him to a refugee camp Malaysia.

There, the Catholic Church sponsored his trip to America. He had NOTHING. No money, no skills, didn't speak English and no family. Nothing. However, he had his wits and incredible ability to adapt.

His sponsor gave him a job washing dishes and worked his way up to cooking hamburgers, glorious American hamburgers, the thing of legends back home. He slowly learned English from his sponsor's restaurant's staff. He had earned his citizenship along the way, but hel felt something was missing. He saved his money and bought himself a Camaro. He was NOW an American!

He set out across the country to see what America was all about.

He got lost in Atlanta and stopped to ask for directions when a Vietnam vet Marine Major where he stopped, now businessman asked him if he could help him out for some days to get a project finished. His problem solving ability and now extremely valuable translating ability landed him a position that he's been at for over 35 years. Just some random chance encounter or fate perhaps. The story of how he was hired is told by the Marine Vet owner often.

Nen still is the manager of fabrication/assembly, has the chicken farm, over two million dollars in the bank and two nail salons that his kids run.

Of all the people here he chose to call friend, I was the one he chose. I don't even feel worthy of his friendship. He said he likes that I grew up in "the jungle" like he did and we have so much in common. He likes my positive attitude. I often come to him for advice because he as this zen about him. He likes when in a meeting that I will just blurt out what everyone else is thinking and will stand up for doing something the right way. He values my honesty.

Whenever we shoot the rats, I can see the boy killing VC but can't save his family rattling about in his head.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I suspect that there is a whole generation of missing stories of heroism like your father's.

My parents speak very little of their escape from Vietnam. My grandmother even less so. Both my grandfathers passed long before I understood the concept of grandfathers.

Perhaps one day my Dad will recount his story to us. All I know was that he and my mom/brother were separated when they escaped, my mom heading to Thailand and my Dad to the Philippines, and that gunfire and fatalities were involved on the beach in the Philippines.

This is so true, so many untold stories of pain. We were one of the very lucky ones.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Mr. Nen, my friend with the chicken farm that I go rat hunting with told me how he escaped Vietnam after a night of heavy drinking and rat killing. He NEVER talks about it.

He was 12 when Saigon fell and the soldiers came.

The NVA murdered his family in front of the village for owning the small farm.

Nen was soon captured after he ran away and sent to re-education and put into a NVA regiment. He and several others shot their way across to Cambodia and swapped uniforms until they reached the coast to hijack a boat. Nen said he killed many men on his way to freedom.

The boat ran out of fuel trying to get to Thailand and was adrift for days. There was no food or water. The other men died from exposure, dehydration and they were already malnourished.

A patrol boat found him and took him to a refugee camp Malaysia.

There, the Catholic Church sponsored his trip to America. He had NOTHING. No money, no skills, didn't speak English and no family. Nothing. However, he had his wits and incredible ability to adapt.

His sponsor gave him a job washing dishes and worked his way up to cooking hamburgers, glorious American hamburgers, the thing of legends back home. He slowly learned English from his sponsor's restaurant's staff. He had earned his citizenship along the way, but hel felt something was missing. He saved his money and bought himself a Camaro. He was NOW an American!

He set out across the country to see what America was all about.

He got lost in Atlanta and stopped to ask for directions when a Vietnam vet Marine Major where he stopped, now businessman asked him if he could help him out for some days to get a project finished. His problem solving ability and now extremely valuable translating ability landed him a position that he's been at for over 35 years. Just some random chance encounter or fate perhaps. The story of how he was hired is told by the Marine Vet owner often.

Nen still is the manager of fabrication/assembly, has the chicken farm, over two million dollars in the bank and two nail salons that his kids run.

Of all the people here he chose to call friend, I was the one he chose. I don't even feel worthy of his friendship. He said he likes that I grew up in "the jungle" like he did and we have so much in common. He likes my positive attitude. I often come to him for advice because he as this zen about him. He likes when in a meeting that I will just blurt out what everyone else is thinking and will stand up for doing something the right way. He values my honesty.

Whenever we shoot the rats, I can see the boy killing VC but can't save his family rattling about in his head.

That is quite the story. Wow.

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for sharing. It helps us longtime
Citizens to remember why most of our families came here.
It helps to keep it fresh and green so to speak !

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing the heroism that you, your Dad and the rest of your family showed on that amazing trip.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Inspirational stories! Thanks for sharing.

"Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power. We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose. - Sir Adrian Paul Ghislain Carton de Wiart, VC, KBE, CB, CMG, DSO.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ireland | Registered: December 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When I went to Biloxi after Katrina, I found the Vietnamese community devastated by the hurricane, which took their homes and their shrimp boats.
Many ended up refugees for the third time in their lives, the first having been the escape from North to South Vietnam.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Wonderful story. I can tell you are quite proud of your Dad, and for good reason.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Incredible story Dave. Give our very best to your dad for us.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patriot:
A great story...very inspiring...

Reminded me on this scene...LOL

Classic movie with a fantastic story about your Dad, David!

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5297 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great story and an even greater legacy that your Dad has given you and your family!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Wow, I was just sitting here feeling sorry for myself for a second covid diagnosis today and I realize my challenges are nothing.

I will never look at the jewelry you have made for my wife quite the same Wink .

Thanks for sharing Dave.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I sent your story to my son and his wife. You designed an engagement ring for him three years ago.

Jake is a infantry training company XO at Ft Benning.

He asked me to again express their gratitude.

Ken M.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your life amazes me, not hard to see where the great guy came from. Tell your Dad thanks for the trials, you were worth it!!!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post