SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A story about my dad...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A story about my dad... Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
To be able to exhibit some humor about such a traumatic experience is yet another testament to your character and that of your family. We are fortunate to have you as fellow US citizens. God bless!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Great story Dave. So glad your family was able to persevere and finally make it out.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
What a great story of perseverance and strength, mind and body

Thank you for sharing

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine has a similar escape story, dad placed in reeducation camp does time hijacks a boat for family out to US air craft carrier.
His dad was an officer in the South Vietnam Army and has stories of the time when their base was under siege and a dud grenade thrown by a young NVA being the reason my friend is here today.

Dave my dad was a Hispanic kid, a recent Catholic High School graduate, drafted and served in Army 196th LIB till he was blown up (grenade wounds while their position was under siege) and medevac'd out. His service in the Army for this country is one of his proudest achievements, though he battles the war every night in his sleep still today.

He and many others did their part for your family's old country and your new life here, glad to hear that your dad is well today.

One of my favorite things to see during the Houston Veterans day parade at the Houston National Cemetery is the Vietnam flag flown by proud South Vietnamese immigrants next to their US flag.

This country is great for its unity not its diversity.

Thanks for sharing

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Ha. Great story. Your dad sounds like my kinda guy.

And I'll bet he is insanely proud of you and the mensch you've become.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Tough to top that story!
Glad your dad is doing well.
Welcome to America, your the family that we need here.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I am going to have to amend all of my previous posts about you Dave. I always have responded to any thread about you that you are "The Man"....

You will now be The Man II because your father is THE FREAKING MAN.

That is a great story.Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m glad he got out. He seems like a great guy.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
What a precious gem is freedom that we are willing to give up all of the rest for it. I wish I could meet your dad and acknowledge his bravery and sacrifice. This patriot who raised patriots has earned his citizenship.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
What an awesome story. Thank you for sharing with us Dave.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Epic story and glad to hear your Dad is doing well. God Bless.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I suspect that there is a whole generation of missing stories of heroism like your father's.

My parents speak very little of their escape from Vietnam. My grandmother even less so. Both my grandfathers passed long before I understood the concept of grandfathers.

Perhaps one day my Dad will recount his story to us. All I know was that he and my mom/brother were separated when they escaped, my mom heading to Thailand and my Dad to the Philippines, and that gunfire and fatalities were involved on the beach in the Philippines.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Awesome story, thanks Dave!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am impressed!

Posts: 102 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: September 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Wow. Great story of your family's experience. What courage your Dad showed. Glad he's doing well. Give him my best and thank him for being such a courageous man and showing you what it is to be a man. All the best DT.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
WOW!

Posts: 9153 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incredible story.
Thank you for sharing.
Myron

Posts: 138 | Location: NoVA | Registered: November 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This country is truly blessed to have your father as a citizen. You’re probably alright too Wink

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
What's that line? "Calm waters run deep.." very understated, and so respectful of an outstanding father and man.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post