SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Let’s talk toilets - which do you recommend?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let’s talk toilets - which do you recommend? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My newest is the elevated Gerber, and it seems to be doing just fine so far.

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Have had Toto,Kohler and American standard in one house,Never had an issue with any of them... Have some Sterling toilets in my house in Fla,They suck. Next thing I will replace

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Toto
Are they still in Kansas?

Toto website: In fact, our Morrow, Ga. factory currently produces one-piece porcelain toilets at a lower cost

https://www.totousa.com/about-...ericas-sold-americas

Posts: 12695 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which is better 1 piece or 2 piece toilets?

Posts: 12695 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Toilets have names?
Smile

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Cadet 3 at Home Depot is the cheap option that includes the seat. You can get more than 1.28 g by holding down the handle when you need it but it works fine.

Posts: 17892 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Which is better 1 piece or 2 piece toilets?

Depends on you situation....my kid has some old toilets and trying to replace them would mean destroying the old one and maneuvering a new one-piece toilet is a no-go do to the sink and radiator in the bathroom....

Two piece can be brought in in one piece after assembly outside or in two for smaller bathrooms...

It’s all depends on your needs.

Now, to the OP. I agree with others here the TOTO is the Cadillac of toilets, but Kholer has caught up and uses the same water delivery system as Toto....plus it’s cheaper. That’s what I’d go with.

Kholer, taller elongated toilet cause I’m 6’1” and as I get older it would make a difference. My next house will have them.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11288 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
We have a Toto Drake and an American Standard Champion and I would recommend the Drake. Both are big improvements over our old ones, but the Drake is a little better.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
All the way into the second page and no one's noted this is a crappy subject.

You slackers! Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
There are a number of good ones and a lot of not so good ones so you’re smart to ask around and go with personal preference among the good ones.

Based on recommendations from others I had Toto Carlyle II one piece models put in when I renovated a few years ago. The plumber liked the way they went in, the cleaning people like how easy they are to clean, and I like them because they’re trouble free and comfortable, which is all I mostly care about. They look good, as far as toilets go, and I believe they’re made in Georgia. Ace sells parts.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have never seen a Toto in my area, but lots of experience with new toilets.

First off, if you have large turds, go with a power flush, hands down the most reliable flusher for the "big ones" They break up the stuff and away they go.

My 2nd choice is the Gerber Avalanche, sold basically to only contractors, but I'm sure there are other ways.

Home Depot's best is the American Standard Champion IV.

After dealing with toilets day in and day out that is my take. Good luck on your choice and your flush!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When we remodeled in Maui we put in 3 Kohler Santa Rosas; they worked fine, looked great but our installer hated the 100 lbs. weight.
Our house in San Diego came with two Totos. Looks like they are the Drake II.
I really like the way they flush ("Tornado Flush"), and they have been flawless in operation; looks like they were installed around 2009.

If I were installing now, I would take the Santa Rosas in a place I was selling (as we did), and the Drake II if we were living in it.

Posts: 18070 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently found myself in the market and went with two glacier bay one piece toilets. I don't regret it and as a tall person I enjoy the height.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im impressed with the home depot glacier bay. The one with the dual flush buttons on top of the lid. Cant beat it for $100

You have to add the easy close lid.

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Kohler......elongated bowl, comfort height, 1.6 gpf.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
American Standard

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It’s not like it was 25 years ago where there were some really crappy Wink toilets on the market. Everybody makes a decent toilet if you spend at least $150 bucks.

One thing I like about some of the two piece Kohlers is the bracket that makes through-tank bolts unnecessary.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Well, you’ve given me some interesting input. I’d never heard of the Toto brand.
Does anyone have any meaningful experience with Koehler’s Aquapiston feature? How reliable is it?
Also, since we are on a septic system, would the 0.8/1.6 GPF feature be an option that works well?
Lastly, how is the 1.28 GPF working for you?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The aquapiston works great. I prefer them over any flapper type.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
American Standard optum Vormax - "nobody likes a clinger". We put 2 in when we redid the bathrooms and they work great.

I have two of these and loved them early on. They use two flappers and two floats
but started to get tangled and continued to run. The local commercial supplier
had nothing good to say except something about gremlins living in the tank.
After complaining to the mfg, they sent me a new flapper set-up but it is still
a problem.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post