SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or has Donald Trump borrowed a page from the Alinsky playbook where he's flooding the zone and just overwhelming the leftist media and liberals with action and they no longer know how to react?

I'm loving it!

Posts: 33895 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Here's a bit more on this firing from Stephen Miller. He explains it well. I'm quickly becoming a fan of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8ZrIjhr344

Thanks for posting.

Very informative.

Miller is quite articulate, and I'm becoming a fan as well.

Posts: 2268 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
If you read her resume ....

I didn’t, so I’ll defer to your judgment, but I strongly doubt that this incident has blocked too many paths that she was interested in.

She graduated magna cum laud, worked in a series of more and more responsible positions, made many contacts, earned respect for her abilities.

We'll see how it sorts out. Sometimes huge firms have a limited tolerance for controversy, although Eric Holder did not seem to have any trouble landing in a lucrative firm. Sometimes controversy reflects on one's soundness.

I doubt she'll end up on the bread lines anywhere.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Trump just fired Yates. Cool

In the immortal words of Sr. Drill Instructor Gunnery SGT Hartman, "Disappear scumbag."

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Language warning

According to the channel that uploaded the clip to YouTube, the activist saying these things is a teacher.
She wouldn't be a teacher to my children. They'd be pulled from that school immediately, and that teacher would probably be having serious difficulty speaking with missing teeth and swollen gums.

(Full disclosure: I don't have any children, and I'm not pugilistically inclined, but I'd give it a go.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Trump just fired Yates. Cool

In the immortal words of Sr. Drill Instructor Gunnery SGT Hartman, "Disappear scumbag."

Obama holdover, "YOU'RE FIRED!"

Q

Posts: 26516 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
he's flooding the zone and just overwhelming the leftist media and liberals with action and they no longer know how to react?

I'm loving it!

Their playbook is attack, dominate the media, and watch the GOP curl up in the fetal position. When they take a swing at this guy he sends Moose and Rocco from the end of Caddyshack.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Schumer:

Firing of Sally Yates underscores how impt it is to have an Attorney General who'll stand up to the WhiteHouse when they violate the law.

— Chuck Schumer (@SenSchumer) January 31, 2017

so expect Schumer to be using that against Jeff Sessions tomorrow

Maybe Schumer should have told Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch that a few dozen times during the Obama administration

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Schumer:

Firing of Sally Yates underscores how impt it is to have an Attorney General who'll stand up to the WhiteHouse when they violate the law.

— Chuck Schumer (@SenSchumer) January 31, 2017

so expect Schumer to be using that against Jeff Sessions tomorrow

Maybe Schumer should have told Eric Holder and Loretta Lynch that a few dozen times during the Obama administration

Schumer is nuts. The Attorney General serves at the pleasure of the President, as all executive branch heads and deputies do, and can be replaced any day it seems desireable. You can advise the President, but "standing up" is of limited efficacy, very dangerous.

He doesn't have the votes. Too bad, Chuckie.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of AzMikeCFD102
posted Hide Post
quote:

My exact sentiment, SDY.

Ms. Yates’s decision had effectively overruled a finding by the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel, which had already approved the executive order “with respect to form and legality.”

I wonder how Ms Yates felt after finding out about Bill Clinton and DOJ Lynch's fake happenstance meeting in Arizona. Where were MS Yates high and mighty principals at that time?

Regardless of her education or qualifications I would never trust her abilities or loyalties.

"Attorney General Lynch's meeting with President Clinton creates the appearance of a violation of law, ethical standards and good judgment," the group said in a statement. "Attorney General Lynch's decision to breach the well-defined ethical standards of the Department of Justice and the American legal profession is an outrageous abuse of the public's trust. Her conduct and statements undermine confidence in her ability to objectively investigate and prosecute possible violations of law associated with President Clinton and Secretary Clinton."

MAGA

NRA
Gun Owners of America

Posts: 388 | Location: Tucson, Az | Registered: August 17, 2016Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Anybody else think its high time ole Mitchy McConnell pulled his thumb from his bum, organized his caucus and pushed all these nominees through? This Yates rube shouldn't even have still been employed by the DOJ at this point.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
So...she's married. Why are they referring to her as Ms. Yates? I know, I'm so old-fashioned. Roll Eyes

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
So I just read the actual executive order on this "Muslim ban" I keep hearing about. No where in the EO did I see the word ban or Muslim. It reads as though we have a temporary suspension where Homeland and the FBI figure out a new game plan for vetting. It is just for a few months, what is the big deal? I am sure several innocents will be inconvenienced, but better safe than sorry. I keep seeing posts talking about how Trump isn't even banning the countries where the 9/11 terrorists came from. That was in 2001, we are fighting a different enemy.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Report This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Yates was a thoroughly competent prosecutor in her days as an AUSA. I'm disappointed that she took a left turn into KoolAidLand since then.

Posts: 2473 | Registered: January 01, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Good bye Sally.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
Yates was a thoroughly competent prosecutor in her days as an AUSA. I'm disappointed that she took a left turn into KoolAidLand since then.

Leftism is a disease.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

For her to take it on herself to refuse to act is very courageous indeed.

Courageous? More like insolence.

I guess I read it a little differently than you do. I have often heard (and used) the phrase, "Sometimes it is difficult to tell bravery from stupidity." Courageous is pretty much a fancy way to say brave. Make of it what you will, but I interpreted the many folks calling her courageous as just being too polite to use the word stupid.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Is it just me or has Donald Trump borrowed a page from the Alinsky playbook where he's flooding the zone and just overwhelming the leftist media and liberals with action and they no longer know how to react?

I'm loving it!

I'm loving it too!

I don't think the media has seen this much government action in the past 8 years combined.

Honestly, I think the media is just in complete and utter shock and saying to themselves, so this IS HOW a President is supposed to do his job???? All those campaign promises we've heard over the last several elections that didn't amount to anything, were just lies, and here we have someone who fulfills their promises.

Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
He's not playing around. The liberals and the media are used to crying and getting their way, but he just doesn't care. Their typical playbook is out the window at this point.

He's smart enough to realize that no matter what he does, or how much ground he cedes to the left, they will still hate him with an unhinged level of delirium. Something John McLame, Mittens, and even the Bushes never seemed to grasp. So he just does what needs to be done. Let the chips fall where they may. But he fully realizes he's not going to get anything near a fair shake from the press. Heck, they published an unvetted story about him even before he was in office, then whined about not being given the first question at his press conference.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Sally Yates represents a view that has taken over the Democrats. Namely, that government service is to be politicized. Not keeping to what the law says or even what her lawyers had vetted and approved, Yates believed it was her role to use her position to make her own feckless grand political gesture.

As a lawyer, if you do not like the philosophy of the client and can't stomach it, the lawyer should withdraw without unduly marring the client in the process. Yates showed no high ethical standard in the way that she handled things.

One could argue that the Attorney General really represents the people of the United States but in our system, political direction and priorities come from the President the people elected. There was an election and the political philosophy was chosen by the people. The lawyer is to serve that administration in furthering the agenda chosen by the people whether the lawyer believes in the philosophy or not.

If a lawyer finds that his/her own philosophy conflicts with the client, then the lawyer in my view must withdraw from representing that client's interest. The attorney's conflicting philosophy either needs to be professionally detached or if the intensity keeps the lawyer from being detached, the attorney must withdraw do to having a conflict of interest that hinders zealous representation.

In Yates' case, she did not withdraw. Instead, she self indulgently mooned the President as she decided to get fired for working against the voters and the President from whom she is required to take direction. Yates' acts may win her some points with the left but it does not speak well for the high calling to public service. Yates' looks petty, unprofessional and partisan.

About now, maybe she just reflects many of the Democrats in not believing in professional public service.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Report This Post