SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Trump Presidency
Page 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 ... 522

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Trump Presidency Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...rne-florida-weekend/

Donald Trump will hold his first rally as President of the United States this weekend at Orlando-Melbourne International Airport

President Trump tweet:

Join me in Florida this Saturday at 5pm for a rally at the Orlando-Melbourne International Airport!

Tickets: http://bit.ly/2lQarqaFLORIDA
2:45 PM - 15 Feb 2017

Got two tickets! Smile

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I think I just heard Catherine Herridge say that these leaks fall under a criminal statute that specify an automatic 10-15 year penalty.

I hope they catch these bastards.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Today, the President was lobbing Hell's Hand Grenades at the press.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Bravo!!

Posts: 5319 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
It is hard to imagine how and for what purpose this ruling might be cited in future cases.

More to the point - if the original EO is rescinded, there ceases to be a case or controversy and without such, SCOTUS kind of loses jurisdiction. Unless he goes after the ruling through a request for an advisory opinion, but that wouldn't exactly be kosher.

-Rob

That, too. The opinion is already in the books, but where might it be cited, and for what?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
For anyone who couldn't catch it live, I highly encourage you to watch. Putting those media leeches in their place is just awesome.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-3ARo5g8KQ

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
It is hard to imagine how and for what purpose this ruling might be cited in future cases.

More to the point - if the original EO is rescinded, there ceases to be a case or controversy and without such, SCOTUS kind of loses jurisdiction. Unless he goes after the ruling through a request for an advisory opinion, but that wouldn't exactly be kosher.

-Rob

That, too. The opinion is already in the books, but where might it be cited, and for what?

The next time a president issues an immigration order? Couldn't a lower court point to this ruling and issue an instant nationwide halt using the ruling as justification?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
That was fun to watch, he just keeps spanking these assholes relentlessly and it was fun to watch.

They are getting called on all of their BS by someone who refuses to back down and it's great to see

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
President Trump just said he will appeal the 9th circuit decision and issue a new order next week

I'm not sure what the legal strategy is on this.

Why do both? The ruling on a rescinded EO isn't important.
I believe the logic in pursuing the court challenge is to set back the idea that the court can indulge in stepping into the field of Foreign Relations, an area clearly set aside for the Legislative and Executive branches.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Da Preezy:

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
I don't think there's been anything like it before?

Talk about breaking the mold.

This town ain't ever seen the likes of Trump before.
I don't know. Somehow, I can see a little of Harry Truman there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:
quote:
quote:

-Rob

The next time a president issues an immigration order? Couldn't a lower court point to this ruling and issue an instant nationwide halt using the ruling as justification?

Not necessarily. It isn't that general. "You issued an EO barring immigration from these countries abd we told you not to do it, and now you've done it again."

The rational behind the decision was the Constitutional rights of some categories of persons assumed to be affected, green card holders for example. If the new order expressly excludes those, what's the beef?

Hypothetically..... If the order applied only to those not holding a visa as of the date of the order, they have no rights and the statute can be applied according to its terms.

The present opinion would have no impact to the new order. In theory.....

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

I understand your reasoning here.

I'm guessing at this point President Trump just wants to be proven right.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not necessarily. It isn't that general. "You issued an EO barring immigration from these countries abd we told you not to do it, and now you've done it again."

The rational behind the decision was the Constitutional rights of some categories of persons assumed to be affected, green card holders for example. If the new order expressly excludes those, what's the beef?

Hypothetically..... If the order applied only to those not holding a visa as of the date of the order, they have no rights and the statute can be applied according to its terms.

I think the admin's position is that the ruling is based on a bogus premise. What if in the future it's learned that country XYZ has been intentionally misleading our immigration officials and a president needs to revoke all green cards from that country? The statute and intention of Congress is for the president to have that unilateral power for national security reasons and the courts have illegitimately inserted themselves into a realm where they should have no say.

- John Adams

I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
Excellent press conference today, and done on the spur of the moment. Even his closest circle was not aware until this morning.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
quote:

I think the admin's position is that the ruling is based on a bogus premise. What if in the future it's learned that country XYZ has been intentionally misleading our immigration officials and a president needs to revoke all green cards from that country? The statute and intention of Congress is for the president to have that unilateral power for national security reasons and the courts have illegitimately inserted themselves into a realm where they should have no say.

As I explained the other day, the statute is clear, unambiguous and, as all statutes, subject to the US Constitution which affords certain rights to persons depending on your status. Citizens have them all. You can't deprive us of rights without due process. Green card holders have most rights, those within the US have a great many rights, those persons not here have none or very few.

No statute can obviate these rights unilaterally. For example, Congress can pass a law authorizing the President to deny counsel to some group when he decides it is necessary. Nun-uh. Of course, these rights are subject to interpretation, free speech, establish religion, RKBA. You have to check all the cases cited to understand the limitations and exceptions to the exceptions, etc. very complicated.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I explained the other day, the statute is clear, unambiguous and, as all statutes, subject to the US Constitution which affords certsin rights to persons depending on your status. Citizens have them all. You can't deprive us of rights without due process. Green card holders have most rights, those within the US have a great many rights, those persons not here have none or very few.

No statute can obviate these rights unilaterally. For example, Congress can pass a law authorizing the President to deny counsel to some group when he decides it is necessary. Nun-uh. Of course, these rights are subject to interpretation, free speech, establish religion, RKBA. You have to check all the cases cited to understand the limitations and exceptions to the exceptions, etc. very complicated.

I understand that position, what I'm saying is that the administration does not agree with that position and thinks the statute does apply to green card/visa holders, as they are immigrants. I'm pretty sure that is the crux of the issue and why they want this overturned.

- John Adams

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

... he just wants to get shit done.

The left on the other hand, have another agenda all together.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
quote:
quote:

... he just wants to get shit done.

Let's not kid ourselves. He doesn't like being told he's wrong when he knows that he's right.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Oh man. I've got to go watch this later tonight on YouTube, it sounds like he really laid the smackdwon on these MSM assholes!

Big Grin
I saw this on ZeroHedge:

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Report This Post