SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Postal service tracking
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Postal service tracking Login/Join 
posted
Anyone else have trouble with the USPS package tracking? I have a Registered package out two days and the tracking # won't show where it is. Going to the office tomorrow to see what's going on.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Funny you should mention that. Just last month I sent a package 90 miles away. No updates until it was delivered at the front desk of the repair biz. Ok, ok. So the guy fixed my part and sent it back priority...from 90 miles away mind you. The tracking info sez 1 day service. So nothing on Friday, nothing on Saturday ( weekend, what the heck). Nothing Monday... I’m starting to worry. So the package shows up at the station 50 miles away at 3:52 am. Wednesday, nothing in the mail...hmmm. But a new message sez it was delivered to the front desk of the repair biz again late Wed pm.

So I called USPS CS line and waited 1hour and 40 minutes on hold. Finally I talked to the lady; she looked the package up and said there is probably something damaged on the label. Everything is automated now, it will read the bar code but not the written address. Mmm ok.

The next morning I called the repair company, and the gent said he just sent it off with the post man again. So I drove to my local USPS and the site manager told me she had been contacted by the CS person, and sent an email to the closer station to keep an eye out for it again. Short story, the package showed up at the repair shop again.

I was surprised to see it arrive back at the closer station 2 days later. One more day, and it got closer, and finally the next it wound up at my house—-10 days to go 90 miles PRIORITY. I looked at the label carefully, and it was perfecto; even the bar code was ok. No other bar codes on the box. And between all this the only updates I got were that the package arrived at the nExt station. After about 7 days, they started putting a city name next to the latest location.

I don’t know what to think; label was fine, my part was not damaged, but it sure has a lot of new mileage on it.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been a frequent topic in the past. The long and short of it is that the USPS does not have the technology of the private companies. In addition the mail carrier may scan all the packages at the beginning of a route which saves time. Calling the Post office or going by to visit is generally unproductive.

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I can't recall in the past decade even once when the 'postal service tracking number' actually reported anything on my own packages until after the delivery

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
USPS Tracking is mostly useless. On a rare occasion it will show you something in an almost timely manner.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody who responded. Suspicions confirmed.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greco:
I don’t know what to think; label was fine, my part was not damaged, but it sure has a lot of new mileage on it.

Was the original label that you used to send the package to the business still on the box?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4637 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
This has been a frequent topic in the past. The long and short of it is that the USPS does not have the technology of the private companies. In addition the mail carrier may scan all the packages at the beginning of a route which saves time. Calling the Post office or going by to visit is generally unproductive.

We have new scanners, with new scanning procedures and a package sorting system that is completely scanner based. We have the same scanners Fedex has (unless they got new ones recently). I scan every single package into my truck when I'm loading now, and we have way points that time roughly when the parcel should be delivered.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4637 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I placed an order with WOOT! on Friday (two days ago). It was shipped via USPS and delivered today (Sunday).

Tracking information, step-by-step through the package's journey, appeared to be accurate and up to date.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31448 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent tracking results with USPS. Depending on the shipper, I get an email when it's delivered to my cluster box. When the tracking information shows the package leaving the hub before 6 pm, I can count on delivery the next day.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I had a guy in California send me a USPSMO. It went to New Hampshire, and came back to Ohio. The PO was as puzzled as we were.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post