SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about some aftermarket wheels for my 2013 Tundra
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about some aftermarket wheels for my 2013 Tundra Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I'm not the sort to add bling just for the sake of bling, but the stock steel rims are looking pretty nasty.

Thinking something basic, painted/powder coated that won't require a lot of maintenance, so no chrome or polished aluminum. Also like to keep it under $200/wheel and reasonable shipping.

Stock side/width/offset, will be using stock tire size.

Suggestions as to brands and sources appreciated.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Talk to Black92LX. I hear he's done some research into aftermarket wheels.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Talk to Black92LX. I hear he's done some research into aftermarket wheels.

Yeah, but this ain't a Mom Van. Big Grin

Posts: 15201 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Black Rhino wheels has some decent looking options in that price range.
I recall a couple F150 guys using them & dont recall any complaints.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have TSW wheels on my 2014 Tundra and have no complaints. TSW makes the Black Rhino wheels mentioned above^^.

Posts: 868 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
If you want to keep it very basic there are no shortage of companies that make basic black steel wheels that look good and are significantly cheaper than your $200 budget.

Edit- Maybe not for a Tundra, so disregard.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of factory wheels myself. See if you can find some factory Toyota wheels someone took off to add custom wheels. Does Tundra have a nice aluminum OEM wheel?

Posts: 5754 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I'm a fan of factory wheels myself. See if you can find some factory Toyota wheels someone took off to add custom wheels. Does Tundra have a nice aluminum OEM wheel?

IIRC, there's a factory BBS option & they look great, but I imagine they're $$$ even 2nd hand.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Any factory alloys as "take-offs" around? (Probably a long shot in your area.) Or can the steels be fixed up? Take the tires off and sandblast and powder coat or paint them. I dislike aftermarket wheels that have deeply recessed lug nut holes that you can't get a normal socket - and sometimes even a thin-walled socket - into.

Posts: 27914 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Call around and see if you can get a set of OEM alloys from a custom tire shop where they are turn-ins on fancier rims, or from a junk yard.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
On a serious note, are you unhappy with the condition or design of the stock wheels? If the former, perhaps you could take some time to Plasti-Dip them in the color of your choice.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Oh come on, admit it.

You want a set of those gangsta 36 inch wheels and also a Carolina Squat.

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
On a serious note, are you unhappy with the condition or design of the stock wheels? If the former, perhaps you could take some time to Plasti-Dip them in the color of your choice.

Condition, primarily. If I could afford to have the truck down for a week or more, I'd do that.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Oh come on, admit it.

You want a set of those gangsta 36 inch wheels and also a Carolina Squat.

Only if I can get them with some of those bitchin' 16" spinners sticking out of 'em.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Buy a junkyard wheel that will fit so you can swap one wheel at a time to recondition?

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Plenty of factory take offs on EBay and FB marketplace.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F273879366117

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25403 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Condition, primarily. If I could afford to have the truck down for a week or more, I'd do that.

You can plasti-dip with spray cans. Sounds getto but it works great. I did my Jeep wheels. 4 or 5 coats on a warm afternoon and they will look like completely different wheels. Holds up great. I’d recommend that, if you don’t love it you can peel it off and drop the big money.

I think I paid $60 and had a can left over.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
For $200 a wheel you could probably find a powdercoater in your area and have them powdercoated any color you want.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

You can plasti-dip with spray cans. Sounds getto but it works great. I did my Jeep wheels. 4 or 5 coats on a warm afternoon and they will look like completely different wheels. Holds up great. I’d recommend that, if you don’t love it you can peel it off and drop the big money.

I think I paid $60 and had a can left over.

Hmmmmm. Just mask off the tires, sand/scrape of the rust and coat?

Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Hmmmmm. Just mask off the tires, sand/scrape of the rust and coat?

http://www.dipyourcar.com/coll.../wheel-kits-by-color

Make sure to watch their Youtube videos on preparation and application. It's a pretty simple process. I'm doing the matte black trim on one of my cars, this weekend, due to sun fading and residue damage. Next up will be wheels in Titanium color Plasti-Dip.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post