SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coming to San Antonio next week
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coming to San Antonio next week Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Is Rubys really as good as I keep hearing?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6333 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about Jeff Rubby's steakhouse?

Posts: 2229 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Preemptive welcome to San Antonio, but as for Rubys I've never heard of it. What suggestions are you looking for?

Posts: 1990 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Or did he mean Rudy's?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15358 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Or did he mean Rudy's?

I was thinking that, but there are so many BBQ joints to choose from, the only Rudy's I'd go to is the original in Leon Springs (best creamed corn I've ever had). If BBQ is on the menu, head up to Gruene and go to Blacks (its actually in the old Rudy's building and the original Blacks ships the Q from the Lockhart location). Or Texas Pride on loop 1604 near St Hedwig.

Posts: 1990 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I have never had Rudy's BBQ, but my favorite was always County Line BBQ. It's been a while, so it may not be as good anymore, or maybe there is something better.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Rudy's is chain BBQ. It's good but not great. I like their breakfast tacos better than their lunch or dinner offerings.

Why settle for good when you can eat at one of the Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas? Last time my GF and I were in San Antonio we dined at Pinkerton's (107 W Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78205) and really enjoyed their BBQ. It's walking distance of all the touristy stuff in downtown.

Most non-chain BBQ joints are open Wed to Sun or Tues to Sat (e.g. Pinkerton's) so plan accordingly.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I have never had Rudy's BBQ, but my favorite was always County Line BBQ. It's been a while, so it may not be as good anymore, or maybe there is something better.
Several dozen better BBQ joints for the food itself in the area bounded by San Antonio, Lockhart, Austin, and Fredericksburg.

County Line is more for the experience with the famous open pit, the live oak shaded outdoor area, occasional live music, and the winery next door.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Several dozen better BBQ joints for the food itself in the area bounded by San Antonio, Lockhart, Austin, and Fredericksburg.

County Line is more for the experience with the famous open pit, the live oak shaded outdoor area, occasional live music, and the winery next door.

Thanks for the heads-up, tatortodd.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I used to frequent the County Line on FM2222 in Austin, lived just a couple miles from it.
Good not great. Same with Salt Lick, better than good, but not amazing.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15358 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Maybe the OP is thinking of the first original Rudy's BBQ in Leon Springs outside of San Antonio. My brother in law took me there maybe 10 years ago when I was visiting and I remember it being very good, supposedly better than the other chain stores. I have been to a few other Rudys and they were decent BBQ, I have no problem eating the food. The best? No, I've had better in Lockhart and other places throughout the state, but Rudys is better than other places as well, especially other states.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16712 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always liked Smitty’s BBQ in Lockhart.

The original Rudy’s in Leon Springs was good, much better than the franchise locations.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
Definitely go check out the River Walk. We did the boat tour at night and it was beautiful! A very convenient parking garage is at 849 E Commerce St, San Antonio, TX 78205. https://maps.app.goo.gl/hUwwPfSwPEJMEUT49

One of the best deserts I've had came from Baklovah Bakery & Sweets and it's called custard warbat. We found the place last summer by accident and that was the first place we went when we were SA a few weeks ago. Here's a pic:
https://ibb.co/BrbsNdF

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Otto, you can’t throw a cat and not find some bbq down here. If you’re in the mood for some good Italian, give this place a shot.

https://www.aldinos.com/

Posts: 3598 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We lived close to Aldino’s for 20 years, up Blanco Road.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't miss out on the Texas Bushman! Big Grin

Posts: 197 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Sorry gentlemen,

I was sleeping all day. It is indeed Rudy's that was recommended as great BBQ, but if its a chain I'll find somewhere else. I've got 4 days there and only working 2 so looking for some good places to sit and grab a bite.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6333 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
San Antonio is known for a Tex-Mex dish called puffy tacos. It's in between a chalupa and hard shell taco. Brothers Henry and Ray Lopez Invented them in the 50s. Henry's restaurant is Henry’s Puffy Tacos and Ray's restaurant is Ray’s Drive Inn.

Last time my GF and I were in SA we went to Ray’s Drive Inn. It's the opposite of fancy but it's been there since 1956, the food is good, and reasonably priced. It's west of downtown and the neighborhood is a little rough (cars on blocks, lots of pit bulls, etc).

I've never eaten at Henry's.

Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I live between SA and Austin, but my goto big town is SA. I’m a lifelong Texan, and I LOVE good barbeque and TexMex. Even though Rudy’s is a chain, they do a really good job with their food and with their Texas decor.

My wife always gets brisket while I stick with the half chicken and a green chile stew. Black’s is alright, but i didn’t jump for joy after eating there. The Black’s i go to is in New Braunfels, and it happens to be in an old Rudy’s since Rudy's moved a little down the road to larger digs. Between the two, I like Rudy’s, ESPECIALLY because I LOVE their green chile stew.

Smokey Mo’s BBQ is my local goto. It is your standard good barbeque. Salt Lick BBQ is another really good one., but they’re in the Austin area. If you want atmosphere, go to the Driftwood location.

Whatever you do stay away from Bill Millers! Some love it, but I will never ever go there again. If I had to describe it, it is what I would expect in a northern city by cooks who’ve never eaten Texas barbeque.

There are other places who have barbeque to die for here in Texas, and I can name some. However, they aren’t in the SA/Austin area.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

Why settle for good when you can eat at one of the Top 50 BBQ Joints in Texas? Last time my GF and I were in San Antonio we dined at Pinkerton's (107 W Houston St, San Antonio, TX 78205) and really enjoyed their BBQ. It's walking distance of all the touristy stuff in downtown.

Ok, Pinkerton's is DELICIOUS. I had the best restaurant briskit I've ever had in my life there. However, it is bloody expensive. They sell by the pound, and I believe the briskit was $29 per pound. Wife and I got briskit sandwiches. Hers, with just the bun and meat was $15. That did NOT include any sides - just the sammich. Mine was $16, but it had bacon, bbq sauce, cheese, and onions
It was an AMAZING sandwich. I got duck and sausage jambalaya as a side, and that was $7. Good, and a novelty (I don't often eat duck), but I will likely never go back unless it is for an event (we went there with my wife's business off-site thing).

Also, they got really busy. Oh, and we had to pay something like $15 for parking (there was no free on site parking that I know of). . .

Rudy's is good. Bill Miller's (another franchise) is ok, but not my first choice.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21851 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post