SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Paper towel dispenser - above sink mount
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paper towel dispenser - above sink mount Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I'm looking to get a paper towel dispenser that I want to mount above the kitchen sink. I have the typical place-on-countertop style that holds the roll vertically. But it keeps getting splashed, the holder moves as the roll gets depleted, the counter gets wet when I want to use a piece, etc.

I'd like to mount something above the sink so that the counter doesn't get wet, and something automated so that I don't need to touch / hold the roll to tear off a piece.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/SofPull...+dispenser+automatic

The problem: my sink is in an island w/out a backsplash. I would be ideal if I could use one of the sink holes (2 of 3 are used; 1 still available) to mount the dispenser.

Is this a typical thing? Or rare and weird? Are there ready made mounts to do something like this? I've tried searching but haven't found anything yet.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13113 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Not tearin' your idea down, but I'd say this might fall in the "weird" category.

I can't imagine seeing something that large, essentially sitting on a "post" of some sort (you proposed mounting to one of the faucet cutouts) in the middle of a free-standing kitchen island.

Good luck.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking similar thoughts I'm afraid!

The idea might be wonderful for a Chemistry Lab, but for an island mounted sink in the kitchen? I don't think so.

On the other hand, it's your kitchen, and if you are careful with your use of the unused sink cut-out, it could easily be removed if you even need/want to...

If your sink is anything like recent ones I've dealt with, you would have to fabricate an under sink reinforcement to beef up the cheesy, light gauge metal now being used in sinks.

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea, I know it's kinda weird. Smile

Just starting to get annoyed with the current paper towel holder style.

I think we have a steel porcelain covered sink -- it's pretty heavy duty.

Ok, I'll give it up. I'll think of some other solution.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13113 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Just thinking out loud for you, Konata...

I'll bet there is a cabinet under your island sink.

What about something like this mounted to the inside door of that cabinet?
https://www.amazon.com/InterDe...ds=roll+towel+holder

Alternatively, is there suitable room UNDER the countertop for something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/InterDe...ds=roll+towel+holder

Good luck.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Yea, those are no go.

Don't want water dripping onto the floor and/or into the cabinet. Don't want to open the cabinet to get a towel. And not really much space under the sink. The ideal is above the sink somehow.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Do you have one of those hanging racks above your island from which you can hang something down for your paper towel?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Want one. But no go for the wife.