SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why would the Navy Tolerate getting Buzzed like this
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why would the Navy Tolerate getting Buzzed like this Login/Join 
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted
This seems absurd. I see no reason in the post USS Cole era, we would ever allow another military aircraft this close to one of our vessels. Shoot the Fucker down, ask no questions. There is no potential upside to allowing this to occur. Thoughts from people smarter than me are appreciated.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ira...d-for-unsafe-conduct

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5136 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...

Just read that the effective firing range of a Phalanx CIWS is about 1500 meters

How about this...at 3000 meters from the ship, you get a warning burst. At 1500 you get lit up.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I'm not gonna say too much, I could talk about it at length, but let me just say, from someone who does this for a living, the "shoot em down" response is silly.

Don't let FOX NEWS make a daily occurrence into a headline.

It's standard practice.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6345 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
let's see. Maybe because the current regime lacks the spinal fortitude?

should have Marine vehicles on deck - then they can toggle off the proverbial "shot across their bow" (or nose) and get the message across to them.

When the IOWA was in the Straits of Hormuz, we had M60, M2 and Mk19 positions sandbagged in along the deck. Then could select up to CIWS, 5" 38, or 16" 50. But a line of tracers would do the trick for a helo...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In that locale, you basically gotta take some rounds before the ROE allow you to release batteries.

Fly-bys happen like that all the time by our enemies.

The Russians did it to US ships in the Black Sea…they still do it.

Nothing new. They are trying to provoke a response. If the US absorbs some rounds, then all bets are off. But if we splash one before they shoot-then we are the bad guys and it plays into their politics

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11306 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
If incidents like this have indeed become 'daily occurrences', perhaps the headline should question why such incidents have been allowed to become daily occurrences and regarded as standard practice.

Posts: 7322 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very curious, as such a close fly-by would not have been allowed with a carrier strike group.

The Navy (and this admin) puts its ship captains in no-win situations. If they shot down this helo, the Group Commander and Captain would have been courtmartialed and blamed for causing an international incident. If they let it go and the helo intentionally crashes into, say all those nicely parked Osprey's, again, they'd get courtmartialed for negligence and not taking all necessary precautions to protect the ship & crew.

SO, they're left with just watching and hoping that the Iranian's don't do anything stupid. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
They know we won’t do shit.

Look back at all the USNavy guys at gunpoint from a few years ago in the bottom of a Iranian boat.

Iran is unafraid and weeks away from a nuclear weapon.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I guess those ships don't fly their own planes or to protect their air space like aircraft carriers do.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19708 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I guess those ships don't fly their own planes or to protect their air space like aircraft carriers do.
I don't think LHD's typically fly FONOP or CAP flights.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6220 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This is NOT an issue of the capabilities of the weapons systems. This is an RoE issue.

No one seems to want a shooting war in the gulf. If we wanted one we could easily start it. Splashing that helo might do the trick.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Hmmm...

Just read that the effective firing range of a Phalanx CIWS is about 1500 meters

How about this...at 3000 meters from the ship, you get a warning burst. At 1500 you get lit up.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Fly-bys happen like that all the time by

everyone, since forever.

Sometimes it goes terribly wrong.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Its a game played out by both sides.
We do the same things to them.

I remember being close enough to a soviet AGI off the east coast that I could have almost pissed on it from the flight deck of an FFG. We harassed them for hours.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3854 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

I remember being close enough to a soviet AGI off the east coast that I could have almost pissed on it from the flight deck of an FFG. We harassed them for hours.

Yep. Somewhere is a pic of sailors mooning a soviet ship.

Posts: 7022 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
When I was Navy off Vietnam we had several incidents. we sailed very close to Hainan Island, PRC. Every now and again we got buzzed. Twice by our own F-15s(?) and once by the PRC. They all pulled the same trick. Each event came from aft at incredibly low height, like just off the deck. You could look over the side and the plane was below you. We had a lot of freeboard. This was an ammunition ship, an AE of Suribachi class.

Believe me, it sounded like hell had opened up. Being we carried an enormous amount of ordinance, everyone thought we were about to explode. And while we were all very relieved it was nothing more than jackass stick jockeys having fun, there were no good words spoken of them.

As I recall, nothing ever happened about any of it. I do think the command was on the phone to the nearest carrier about the PRC but I don't recall anybody coming to take a look though there might have been a fly-over to let them know we had help. We carried 2 mounts of old WW2 twin 40mm AA, useless in the modern-day. Even if they worked reliably which they did not.

The Cap did get "even" by showing off the guns to visitors in Hong Kong harbor. He traversed them pointing at Mainland China, a very forbidden act. No one noticed and that was that.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are used to the old Navy.

This is the new "built back better" Navy.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Good point.

How close does an non-friendly aircraft have to be before its seen as a threat?

quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
This is NOT an issue of the capabilities of the weapons systems. This is an RoE issue.

No one seems to want a shooting war in the gulf. If we wanted one we could easily start it. Splashing that helo might do the trick.

quote:
Hmmm...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good point.

How close does an non-friendly aircraft have to be before its seen as a threat?

Its all about context, if the inbound aircraft is on an aggressive course and all sensors & intelligence is pointing out that they've got some bad intentions or, the battle group has something going on that they don't want to be seen, then it'll get intercepted and highly encouraged to change course.

Soviet aircraft buzzing our carrier groups happened however, they also communicated and made an effort to at the very least adhere to some accepted 'ground rules'. These Iranian flights are not your local Navy taking a joy-ride but, they're IRGC: basically the SS of Iran. They're the die-hards, true-believers, Allah's gift to humanity, etc....suicide bombings and reckless intimidation displays are their MO.

Posts: 14692 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
Climate change is a bigger threat to the US Navy than Iranian aircraft.

Posts: 10824 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

Yep. Everybody rattles the sabers.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post