SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need Welding Advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Welding Advice Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
I had new SS headers, mufflers, cats and tailpipes put on my truck (had cracked exhaust manifold).
It was done at a 4wd shop not a muffler shop.

I want to eliminate where they used clamps and have it welded (has some exhaust leaks albeit minor on the clamps).
I am thinking it should be a TIG weld but I am no expert.
I want it to seal well and look decent if possible.
I have a MIG welder but no lift anyway.
Also I am a shitty welder. Frown
Maybe some day I will learn. Smile

Is this the best type to 'request' (TIG) or something else and will a muffler shop be able to do it or some other place?
Also do they have to take it down to weld ~ not that hard to take down but does take some time and I assume it will cost more.?

Posts: 23186 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Tig will look the best but you can mig SS if you are a good welder but it likely won't look as good. They will need access around the welds. The Tig welders I have seen were much smaller and easier to access tight areas.

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Take it to the muffler shop the local muscle cars go to and call it a day. I’ve mig welded a lot of thin stainless tube. It’s extremely easy to burn through. Tig is probably what they will use.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find someone competent and let them pick the method.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11159 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
TIG needs very clean metal and is best done on new stuff.
A good MIG welder can make a nice weld and do it much quicker on less clean parts.

Posts: 9790 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
You have a mig. Buy some shit steel and learn. Try again and again until you succeed. The only reason you can’t weld your exhaust is because you don’t try. Exhaust is the easiest thing to weld. There is no engineering or code to follow.

Go buy shit steel, weld, beat with hammer to check strength. Try again until your beads don’t suck.

Then weld your exhaust system.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4317 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Find someone competent and let them pick the method.

Good advice.

But I couldn’t help but post this also:
Big Grin

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1986 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
There are welders and there are grinders, your looking for a welder. mig weld will be easier and most good muffler shops will have no issues making it look nice the key here is for them to use stainless steel wire in the mig welder and not mild steel , you can weld with both on both types of metal but welding with mild steel wire will rust and look like shit. same with tig welding but most will know this. tig welding dirty material doesn't make the job easy the heat from the tungsten will draw all the dirt and crap right into it. if it was brand new ss it would be no issue. tig welding needS to be super clean

Posts: 5677 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Take it to the muffler shop the local muscle cars go to and call it a day. I’ve mig welded a lot of thin stainless tube. It’s extremely easy to burn through. Tig is probably what they will use.

This, they generally won't charge that much to weld exhaust that's already installed.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
This guy has all sorts of advice and videos to learn or just learn some new stuff.

http://www.weldingtipsandtrick...ig-welding-tips.html

Posts: 9790 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
You have a mig. Buy some shit steel and learn. Try again and again until you succeed. The only reason you can’t weld your exhaust is because you don’t try. Exhaust is the easiest thing to weld. There is no engineering or code to follow.

Go buy shit steel, weld, beat with hammer to check strength. Try again until your beads don’t suck.

Then weld your exhaust system.

I definitely DO need to learn this.
The other problem is the awkward part of no lift.
Of course I could just take it off in incremental parts at do those.
No doubt my welding inexperience needs to be corrected.

Posts: 23186 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post