Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hearing Aids Login/Join 
Picture of JPD217
posted
Just got hearing aids fitted for bilateral hearing loss. I've not been hearing well for so long I'd forgotten how much noise there really is out there.

I gotta remember to keep reminding myself that this is a good thing. It is nice to hear birds again.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
It IS a good thing! I just got hearing aids about six weeks ago, and I'm taking to them like the Bionic Man! They have Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, and not only can I adjust the levels, but I can stream phone calls and audio directly.

I can sit and eat lunch listening to the radio without disturbing anyone. They're great!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind my asking, what kind and roughly how much?

I need them, but can't bring myself to spend $7k for a set.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15305 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe last year Congress passed legislation permitting OTC sales of hearing aids to bring down the rip off prices but so far, I have not seen much effect.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
It IS a good thing! I just got hearing aids about six weeks ago, and I'm taking to them like the Bionic Man! They have Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, and not only can I adjust the levels, but I can stream phone calls and audio directly.

I can sit and eat lunch listening to the radio without disturbing anyone. They're great!

Picked up Mine on Dec. 29th, and have the same features. Took a few days to get used to but love them now.

PHPaul, I got mine at Costco for less than half of that.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6497 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sadly, no Costco in Maine.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15305 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a neighbor in Pennsylvania who bought a very expensive Hearing Aid. Claimed sounds were so clear he could hear a mouse wearing sneakers running across the parking lot.

I asked him what kind is it.

He looked at his watch and said: "It's a quarter to three".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
(thought this was a thread about the dangers of phone sex)

Posts: 21144 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Go to Costco! I used to wear Miracle Ear aids. But when the seller wanted nearly $8K for a new set I decided I could live with the old ones.

One the way home we decided to stop at Costco and see what they had. Best set of Phonak aids was less than the cost of ONE of the Miracle Ear aids.

I hate having to wear them, but at least I can hear, even if I sometimes turn them off. Big Grin

11 years in the 3AD with all the tank gunnery, artillery fire, 10s of 1000s of small arms fire, grenades, etc etc etc and no ear protection.

Mine have a remote as well as the adjustment on the aids themselves.

I think I said I hate them, but hate not being able to hear more.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25645 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I believe last year Congress passed legislation permitting OTC sales of hearing aids to bring down the rip off prices but so far, I have not seen much effect.

Not sure what OTC for hearing aids means but Costco has been selling them to the public for years. And they have a new "house brand" that their technician tells me is pretty damned good, too.

AIR cost about $1600 for the set.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25645 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
quote:

These are Starkey Qi i2400 Micro RIC, cost was just under $2600 per ear.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe there are only three manufacturers of hearing aids, regardless of the marketing name. I have molded, in the ear aids by a company called Audibel. I think the parent company is Starkey. Mine have Bluetooth for the phone and even streaming for the TV. I had Blue Cross Blue Shield for health insurance. They paid a large portion of the cost.

Posts: 160 | Location: Los Lunas, NM | Registered: November 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Might be worth a drive! Email/call the one nearest you and see what they have to offer!

Helluva lot cheaper than miracle ear stuff.

Not to mention that service on aids is free at Costco, too.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ride that motorsickle to Vermont or New Brunswick or one of them places.

Posts: 26994 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be sure to schedule them on your homeowners policy in case of loss. Can save you lots of $$.

Posts: 174 | Registered: February 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Get the test and see how much the locals will charge you. Decide if a road trip to Costco makes sense. The audiologist wanted $7k. Costco gave me close to the same setup for $1800.

Posts: 4288 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Does Costco give hearing tests to see if you could use an aid?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19751 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

Yes they do. I had my hearing tested by an audiologist at DR. office. Costco tested me again in house (free of charge) and got the same results on the test. The hearing aids were less than half the price the other place wanted.

The hearing aids have, I think a 3 year warranty and a two year you lose or damage them they replace them at no charge as well. Thanks

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6497 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
Yes. They do a complete test, no charge.

The audiologist then fit (fitted? What's the past tense?) me with a test pair of hearing aids and told me to wander around the store, do my shopping, etc., and report back to him.

No charge for any of the audiologist services.

No charge for normal maintenance of the hearing aids, putting in new domes, etc., for as long as you own them.

The only cost is the hearing aids that you buy, and batteries. Speaking of batteries, even if you don't buy your hearing aids at Costco (you'd be a fool not to, if you have the opportunity), you can buy your batteries there. $8.49 for a card of four dozen batteries. You can't beat that!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30809 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I have some Resound Linx2 that I got from the VA in Aug. I can adjust them with my iphone. They gave me the phone clip for phone calls and the TV streamer to hook up to my TV.
I hate them when I'm talking to someone, sounds like I have ear plugs in ears can't really tell how loud I'm talking. I don't wear them too much but I make sure I have them when we go to the movie

Posts: 13029 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post