SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed)
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 39

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed) Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I will take the shot as soon as possible. I am 73 and don't want to die of COVID. I was really enjoying my life before all of this hit. We got off a cruise ship (50th anniversary) the 29th of February and have been locked inside since.

I don't want folks going from place to place and continually spreading this disease. Man up and get vaccinated. Do it for your families, friends and the nation.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

I don't want folks going from place to place and continually spreading this disease. Man up and get vaccinated. Do it for your families, friends and the nation.

Well, we don't always get what we want. Me not getting the vaccine is not stopping anyone from living his life. Ease up on the Covid shaming there, bub. It's unbecoming.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Me not getting the vaccine is not stopping anyone from living his life. Ease up on the Covid shaming there, bub.

I agree. This should be completely voluntary, an individual choice. No one should be shamed or pressured.

I'm starting to come to the opinion that for older people the pluses from the vaccine may outweigh the risks, but for younger people the opposite may be true. For young, healthy people the (unknown) longer term risks of the vaccine may potentially outweigh the risks from the virus.

But it should be up to the individual to decide.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would and I will the very first second I have the opportunity to take it.

Having had that stinking virus, I'd do about anything to avoid it again.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yes I will get it as soon as I can. I am diabetic and have asthma as well. My immune system is compromised after having the betes for the better part of 30 years. I have zero desire to be in a ventilator...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
Yeah. By the time I can get it, it will be well tested.

posted Hide Post
By definition, Covid-19 is pneumonia: Novel Coronavirus-Infacted Pneumonia (NCIP). You don’t actually die from corona virus, but from pneumonia wrought on by the virus, and other complications. The vaccine for the novel corona virus won’t be available to many (myself included) until the middle of next year. Pneumonia and flu vaccines are available now, and should be used independent of the Covid vaccine. How many have had their flu shot, and a pneumonia vaccine?

I will take the vaccine when it’s available. The irony is that I’ll be busier than hell moving the vaccine for the next six months to a year, hundreds of millions of doses, but won’t have access to it myself.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm starting to come to the opinion that for older people the pluses from the vaccine may outweigh the risks, but for younger people the opposite may be true. For young, healthy people the (unknown) longer term risks of the vaccine may potentially outweigh the risks from the virus.

^^^^^^^^^
That is exactly why the Shingles vaccine is not administered until age 50.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I voted no because I will not take a vaccine until it has been successfully used on at least a couple million people under these circumstances. I will be allowed to get the vaccine early on as a first responder but I will be waiting. I will eventually get the vaccine but I want to see a year worth of follow up studies after at least a couple million people in the US have received the vaccine.

My reasoning behind this position is as follows. If I contract COVID, then statistically I’m going to be fine. I’m only 41, in good health, work out regularly and am pretty physically fit. I prefer not to risk more severe complications from a vaccine that will protect me against a disease that I will survive if I contract. I am in no way anti-vax, in fact I’m essentially the opposite. I even get the flu shot every year, even though I will survive he flu if I contract it. The difference is that hundreds of millions, billions actually, have had the flu vaccine over a period of years and it is clearly proven safe, with minimal to no weird side effects over a very large sample size. So while my gain is fairly minimal, my risk is near zero. I find that the gain from preventing COVID for me at this point in my life is not much greater, but not enough people have had the vaccine to determine what (admittedly most likely extremely rare) side effects will develop from this vaccine that may be able to be improved with larger sample sizes.

I think this vaccine development is excellent news and I absolutely think that those likely to suffer complications from COVID should get it as soon as they can. For those individuals I would think that the benefits outweigh the risk. Heck if COVID had a lethality or complications similar to Ebola then I wouldn’t be able to stick my arm out for the shot fast enough. However, that is not the case with COVID so my risk vs. benefit analysis looks very different.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
NO.
Do I believe the numbers of complications coming from the vaccine to be honest? Not any more than I believe the death rate being reported now.
Besides I heard I can wear a mask and will never get sick. Wink
I do not trust our government or there recommendations for what is good for me.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
By definition, Covid-19 is pneumonia: Novel Coronavirus-Infacted Pneumonia (NCIP). You don’t actually die from corona virus, but from pneumonia wrought on by the virus, and other complications. The vaccine for the novel corona virus won’t be available to many (myself included) until the middle of next year. Pneumonia and flu vaccines are available now, and should be used independent of the Covid vaccine.

The available pneumonia vaccine protects you from bacterial pneumonia. It would do nothing to prevent your lungs from filling with fluid, pus and dead epithelial cells due to Covid. The term "pneumonia" is general and does not specify the causative agent.

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Nope, still have antibodies as of 12/8. Knowing what I know about this virus and immunology, I am unlikely to get reinfected despite what the media Chicken Littles say.

To this point, here is an article with a substantial section devoted to immunity to C19:

https://www.justfacts.com/news...d-19_essential_facts

Tigereye, thank you for this reference. I am about to go visit family in a different state and have other family coming from yet another state. Both sets are concerned, whereas I am fairly ambivalent. This article citing respected scientific journals and original research will be something I will request they all read so everybody can settle down a little bit.

I had a shock the other day when I was working with someone - they indicated they had had Covid and when I asked whether they had considered donating plasma, they stated they were worried that would decrease their immunity. The shock: they were in the health care field.
I couldn’t even come up with a response right away because I was so surprised that they believed that. We all have a reservoir, or “memory” so to speak. This is what our immune system does. Interesting that they compared it to a “firewall” in the article. I’d never considered that.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Agree completely.

Please read the above referenced article and share. It is probably THE BEST article on the subject I’ve read so far.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Report This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Yes -- and the sooner the better. Mrs. Tinyman has many health problems and Doctors recommend it for us both.

And yes -- there may or not be any adverse reactions.

And yes -- it's OUR decision.

Any finally -- have a great holiday of your choice.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I realized many years ago I am not immortal and will eventually die of something. If it's the Covid so be it. I've survived at least a half dozen pandemics worse than this one and I suspect I will survive this one as well without the aid of a vaccine.

My last doctor visit she asked if I had a flu shot to which I responded no. I've never had one and I've never had the flu. Well then let's not mess with a good thing she said.

We have been fed so much bullshit about this virus from the start the truth is nowhere to be found. I will not allow them to stick me with a vaccine for something they have as of yet been able to develop a accurate detection test for. If you can't tell me with any degree of accuracy that I have the virus you are not going to convince me you have a vaccine for it. At this point it is a political football. At best.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm not looking to be the first person on my block to get it. But I'll wait a month or two, and if there aren't huge reports of negative reactions, I'll look to get it at that point.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Tigereye, thank you for this reference.

It was about the least biased, most well documented reference I've found. It allows everyone to see all the data to this point and decide for themselves. Smile

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
These new mRNA vaccines (Pfizer and Moderna) aren't like any vaccine that has ever been created. Safety testing doesn't take 5 years for no good reason. Now I understand the speed pressure here. COVID-19 is a threat, to be sure, but it isn't a death sentence.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I will take the shot as soon as possible. I am 73 and don't want to die of COVID. I was really enjoying my life before all of this hit. We got off a cruise ship (50th anniversary) the 29th of February and have been locked inside since.

Might I suggest you've been far more screwed over by government corruption and their bloodlust for power than by a disease. And forgive me, but from your comments, you seem to have been ingesting too much BS from CNN and other media morons.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Please—?

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Your reasons for yes or no are welcome if you wish to explain them, but please do not use your post as an excuse to cast aspersions on the people with whom you disagree. That includes ascribing supposed motives to people about whom you know nothing and thereby merely demonstrates your willingness to show your own ignorance. That sort of thing has been largely avoided in this thread thus far, but it seems to be something a few members here always have extreme difficulty in exercising the self-discipline to avoid. I realize it may be hard, but try, won't you? Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post