SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed)
Page 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 39

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The COVID-19 vaccination thread (thread name changed) Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
My biggest issue in getting one is will it really protect me that much better than I am now?

Yes, I believe the virus is real. I've had friends lose family members, and others who have respiratory issues months after catching whatever is going around. The vaccines don't even fully protect against the one they were designed for, let alone the mutations. A medical friend told me last night that wasn't the case, that it does shield you from the mutations as well, but I'm not sure I believe it.

Roll the dice and possibly catch it now vs rolling the dice and possibly having the vaccine make things worse. I'm honestly not sure what to do, but I'm sitting on the sidelines for a while.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Roll the dice and possibly catch it now vs rolling the dice and possibly having the vaccine make things worse. I'm honestly not sure what to do, but I'm sitting on the sidelines for a while.

Yep... that about sums it up for me as well.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The vaccine itself, the delivery method is all new, and I don’t mean the physical shot. I’m holding off for now. I’ve been absolutely militant about this since the beginning. I will get tested for antibodies in the next few months because I honestly think I got it in December of 2019 as it was the worst flu of my life. I’m not an anti vaxxer but I want to see more data before I inject myself. If I was 60+ I’d definitely get the vaccine asap.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12638 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
For anyone interested, there is significant information on the Internet pertaining to how well it’s believed the current vaccines will protect against the variants. And of course there is even more information available about how well it’s believed the current vaccines will protect against the original, most common virus. In short, though, the consensus I’ve seen is that the current vaccines will probably protect against the variants, but that they are highly effective against the common form. I nevertheless urge anyone who is concerned to do the easy research for themselves.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Well gee Sigf. That is great news. I am so glad you posted this in this thread for all to see far and wide. I feel so much better now that you informed us of this great revelation on the topic. Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
You are welcome, I am sure.

Many, perhaps most people would of course not need to be reminded that additional sources of information are available, but when some people state that they are debating with themselves whether to believe something they were told by a “medical friend,” it’s obvious that at least some of us could benefit from such a reminder. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
For the Colorado folk, if you haven’t heard, the Governor reportedly ordered that K-12 teachers would now be in the 1b category (no, not Group W) along with LEOs, fire fighters, and other “essential” workers. The priority age has also been lowered to from 70 to ≥65.

The only problem is, as I understand it, was the lack of sufficient vaccines for the previous categories even though many of those previously eligible had thus far elected to not take the shot.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
It's a risk/reward type of decision, based on a leap of faith that the numbers you hear are somewhat accurate.
We don't have enough reliable information right now to make a truly well informed decision. That makes it a seat of the pants call.
I had it a week ago based on several reasons. I'm in the age group where the bad outcome rate goes up. There are a number of people around me that have been getting it and several have died. Most are older and have some preexisting health conditions, but a few were younger and seemed to be fine.
The reactions of the younger victims got my attention. Maybe they had something like cardiovascular problems that hadn't yet been diagnosed. Maybe I do too. I have had good testing results on my annual physical so not much has been done beyond that.
With all that said, there have been few negative reactions beyond feeling bad for a day or two and tens of millions of vaccines given so far. Long term, who knows.
I got mine and am scheduled for #2 March 1.
I'll let you know if things go bad, but so far all is well.
Everybody has to make their own decision.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I just am not sure about all of this. The wife and I were watching our local news channel after dinner this evening. They had a segment about the locals getting the shot. We switched channels just in time to hear some public health official talking about his concerns over it all. We just looked at each other and both said, "lets wait a bit".

I'm 73 and she is 70. We are both in pretty good health.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes and we actually had the 1st injection today. Some initial shoulder/arm soreness, but not as much nearly 12 hours later.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Report This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Hell yes. Getting the Moderna shot on Tuesday. Just as I got the shingles vaccine and the flu vaccine and the Hepatitis vaccine and the tetanus vaccine and the measles vaccine.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Here's one physician's point of view. Mind you, much of my career was devoted to clinical epidemiology, that is the science of looking for the strength of evidence of scientific studies. I used to do this as the representative cardiologist on a national panel of a large multispecialty group practice organization with millions of members nationwide.

Today I listened to a podcast hosted by Dan Senor, previously a Bush 43 spokesman, talking to Dr. Scott Gottlieb, President Trump's first FDA commissioner.
Here is the link for those interested: Post Corona Part 2: Turning the Corner

Takeaway messages:
1. Those in charge of vaccination priorities should loosen up and not be so restrictive in categories and subcategories--it's critical to get the vaccine into as many arms as possible.
2. The current supply shortage will be caught up with soon, the people who are demanding vaccination-mostly older people--will soon be done to a very high percent of the group; there will come a time in the spring when supply will exceed demand if more is not done to inform the public of the benefits of very widespread vaccination.
3. The mutant variants, such as the UK and South African variants, are present in pockets in the country (San Diego is one), but will be expected to double in prevalence each week until they comprise a large percentage of the virus in the country. We're racing against time to get people vaccinated in order to prevent more widespread prevalence of those more contagious and potentially more deadly variants.
4. We don't actually know how much protection the vaccines will provide against our own infection, or our infectiousness to others. So it makes sense--until we know more--to continue to use mitigating practices to help avoid getting others sick.

Gottlieb's discussion of these issues changed my mind about a number of things, including #4 above.

For those open to persuasion, I think listening to the podcast would be worthwhile. I doubt I've persuaded anyone, but feel compelled to at least make the attempt to change the minds of some of you anyway.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sjtill, did you watch this podcast by chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vF9mb3Dm8

Not sure if you are still in SD. If so I can understand the influence you are under.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Report This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

Mrs. Cooker. She went out to the couch to watch TV and sleep out there. I woke up at 5:00 and she was laying on the couch under a mountain of blankets

OK, what was the blanket count? Mountain isn't descriptive enough. I'm under 2, but I've got an emergency 3rd next to me, and 2 more over on the beanbag. But then I'm kind of impoverished and only have the 5 out here in the living room. I'm just taking a count to see if I need to rob the bed for more. Smile Never have enough blankets, at least in the living room where I'm tempted to add or fold up depending on circumstances (like a freeze inducing covid shot).

Two thick fleece blankets from Costco, and the comforter from the guest bedroom. With a 12”x24” heating pad set to high. Any one of the three blankets is too warm to sleep with and I like to be really warm at night, but those three are just too damn hot. The heating pad, I set to medium at the hottest. “Mountain” of blankets was used, because it was hard to find her on the couch. I should have called it a blanket avalanche. That would have been more accurate.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you recall my post in early November when I got out of the Hospital, having had the stinking virus.

Sickest I have ever been and I've had some doozies as far as sicknesses, malaria, pneumonia, heart attack, cancers (good thing I ain't a dog or my wife would have had me put down long ago).

So when the vaccine became available thru the VA, I took it.

First shot-nuttin' to it, just a slight head ache and some itching at the site of the shot. Second one, kinda knocked me back, 101.5 temp, headache, generally sick feeling but only lasted a day.

So, would I do it again?

YOU BET! As I said, the virus made me feel sicker than I ever felt before and I don't want it ever, ever again.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
I just am not sure about all of this. The wife and I were watching our local news channel after dinner this evening. They had a segment about the locals getting the shot. We switched channels just in time to hear some public health official talking about his concerns over it all. We just looked at each other and both said, "lets wait a bit".

I'm 73 and she is 70. We are both in pretty good health.

Wife and I are both in our 80s. No plans to take the shot. When I see stories of the "tests" for a new vaccine that was "developed" in 4 months and released to the public I have to wonder who is making those decisions. And AIR, some of those tested died. No thanks folks.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

Wife and I are both in our 80s. No plans to take the shot. When I see stories of the "tests" for a new vaccine that was "developed" in 4 months and released to the public I have to wonder who is making those decisions. And AIR, some of those tested died. No thanks folks.

Yeah, I hear that. I recently read that if this virus mutates, and it has, then this vaccine may not be as effective against the new strain. Much like the flu. They prepare each year a vaccine that they hope will be effective against whatever variant they believe will be going around. Worst case, you may still get the flu but it won't hit you as hard. I get the flu shot every year.

I don't know. I'm still gonna wait and see.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Received my vaccine (Pfizer) in downtown Seattle today at the Amazon HQ (Supervax site). Well organized and took about an hour or so start to finish. I'd registered with Virginia Mason 3 weeks prior, was notified by e-mail I'd be eligible to receive it once I made the appointment on the site. The appointments filled up fast.

Happy to have received it.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This piece just published this morning, may (or may not) help some of you who are on the fence about getting vaccinated.

Vaccine News

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

I saw that earlier this morning. This is the key section of the article for me:

"The data
By those measures, all five of the vaccines — from Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Novavax and Johnson & Johnson — look extremely good. Of the roughly 75,000 people who have received one of the five in a research trial, not a single person has died from Covid, and only a few people appear to have been hospitalized. None have remained hospitalized 28 days after receiving a shot.

To put that in perspective, it helps to think about what Covid has done so far to a representative group of 75,000 American adults: It has killed roughly 150 of them and sent several hundred more to the hospital. The vaccines reduce those numbers to zero and nearly zero, based on the research trials."

Posts: 8957 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Report This Post