SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Foreign Visa to work in the US?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foreign Visa to work in the US? Login/Join 
I'm older than I look
posted
I have a cousin in her 40's who is interested in being sponsored to come to the US to work. She was trained as a nurse and worked as one for a while but is currently in shopping mall operations. She asked me about how to apply and I'm not sure so checking to see if anyone here is in HR and may know?

I imagine nurses are in demand right now.

Also, she has tried to apply for a tourist visa just to visit her mom and siblings, but constantly gets turned down with the reason being she is single and is a nurse.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are agencies that specialize in bringing in nurses under H1B or similar visas. I know there are a shitton of filipina nurses working in the country, presumably brought in that way.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I'm sure there are agencies that specialize in bringing in nurses under H1B or similar visas. I know there are a shitton of filipina nurses working in the country, presumably brought in that way.

Yeah, I was hoping someone knew specific groups or agencies I can point her to that wouldn't try to take advantage, etc.

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've known a couple of Canadian nurses over the years. They just got green cards.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be more difficult than it should be. I know some nurses from Costa Rica who speak perfect English working in restaurants because they can't get the nursing license. Immigration lawyers might be some help. Good luck

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're eligible to work in the US if you're a Registered Nurse in your home country. Contact the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) to see if you're qualified. When you know where in the US you'd like to work, you can apply to that state's Board of Nursing and take the NCLEX-RN.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://nurse.org/articles/wor...se/#edu-requirements

Here are the requirements.

Not easy or cheap, but if they jump through the hoops, there are plenty of open jobs at the moment.

It is cyclical.

The country needs nurses, the country floods with foreign nurses. As the vacancies fill, the foreign nurses stay and the jobs dry up.

They retire or go home the cycle starts again.

I worked for someone that was billing millions a year in contract nurses.

Over 18 months his business dried up as the contract positions were replaced with cheaper full time nurses, many from other counties.

Covid has kicked off another nursing shortage.

This is a good time to do this.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
Thanks, these tips are helpful and I've forwarded to her.

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
My advice is to reach out and find a job first with a company that has experience with the H1B process. She will need them to sponsor her visa.

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post