SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police with AR's at entrances to baseball games
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police with AR's at entrances to baseball games Login/Join 
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I seem to recall often hearing if you change what you do in your daily life in response to terror, they win. So did they, at least in some small measure?

The TSA exists. What do you think?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I seem to recall often hearing if you change what you do in your daily life in response to terror, they win. So did they, at least in some small measure?

They win if you stop doing it all together.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
Security theater.
What are the chances that a fully armed cop is going to be at the scene of some nefarious action?
They would have better luck getting hit by lightning.

Yeah, deterrence.

Terrorists look for soft targets. By hardening a target, you discourage random idiots with machetes and hi-points.

Now, you can't deter EVERY act of terrorism. History has shown that if they are really well-equipped, determined, well-trained, etc, they will still carry out their carnage even in the face of armed security. Unfortunately, the nature of the threat today is that there is an entire *spectrum* of terrorist threats out there. There are trained and organized cells; there are also idiot 'lone wolves' who bought their first gun yesterday and want to go on jihad for allah.

Just like I can't prevent a European jewel thief or an "Ocean's 11" team from robbing my house, either. I still lock the doors and take other precautions, as the biggest threat to me (as I see it) is the average street punk looking to jack my flat-screen to sell to support his drug habit. Just because I can't prevent ALL theft doesn't mean I stop trying. This is the same thing.

The bad thing about this kind of deterrence is we never know when it works. Who knows how many acts of terror (from an organized Paris night club-style attack to some raghead with a machete) were stopped by posting rifle-armed police. . . We never know, so it's easy to dismiss it and claim it was all a waste of time.

I like the reference to the Texas gun show 'attack' where both dirtbags were plugged BEFORE they got to the crowds. This was a text-book example, IMO, of how effective such common-sense precautions can be.

I was in Europe in the early 90s. It was common to see police roaming the cities carrying MP5s. I saw it every time I went to an airport. I never saw this in the States. I think it's a very good idea. If anybody thinks that armed security isn't an effective (not perfect; effective) deterrent to terrorism, then I don't know what to tell them. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post