SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone with experience with Krav Maga for a 10 y.o.? ...UPDATE P2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with experience with Krav Maga for a 10 y.o.? ...UPDATE P2 Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
None of the fights I have been in ever went to the ground. And I wasn't scared of the ground because I wrestled 5 years in high school and was decent at it - it just always seemed the fights were stand and punch each other (or try to) type of fights.

Of course, my last fight was decades ago - it may be that kids now watch MMA and deliberately want to "go to the ground" because they see it on tv a lot...

I would agree - don't teach a young child to hit windpipes and eye gouge etc. You'll end up in court and being sued by the other kids parents...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Don't do Krav, do BJJ!

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
Good thoughts. I agree that maiming his opponent is a bit harsh for elementary school. My concern is that he does not train to follow a "system" that does not work in the real world where there are no rules,

For a kid, Check out Tang Soo Do. My kids all took it and it looks to me to build the confidence and effective moves. None of them have had to use it, but I can tell you I wouldn't try to tangle with their teachers, even the fat guy. So that is indicative IMO.

When he gets older, you/he can decide if it's effective enough or you need to scale up for a back alley brawl in Philly.

Posts: 11388 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I would seriously consider Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for several reasons. It works in the real world, it doesn't take years to master and it also is less likely to get you sued if he needs to use it to defend himself.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Also could try a variant of Krav with Commando Krav Maga which is far less striking and more conflict avoidance and defensive techniques.

Our local dojo combines this with BJJ for a win win effect.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
Update for those that may be interested, or perhaps useful for some others that are in the same situation as I.

I found an IKMF-certified school that trains both Krav Maga and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and has classes geared for kids. After having some discussions with the instructors, I decided to enroll my son in both the kids KM class, immediately followed by a no-gi BJJ class, and he has been doing this twice a week for almost 3 months now. For the kids KM classes, clearly they do not teach the most violent techniques of KM, focusing on escape strategies, avoidance, and some basic blocks/strikes. At each technique the instructor goes into great detail on when is it appropriate to use a technique, and drills them avoiding a fight, if they can. They also incorporate a fair bit of basic BJJ skills so the kids have a rounded self defense skill set. I have been very happy to see a significant increase in my son's self confidence, as well as his skill development. It has made a huge difference for him.

On Saturdays, they offer a Family class, open to any family that has a participant in one of their regular classes. In line with my philosophy of setting an example, I started attending the Family classes last week, and again this week. Due to various conflicts, I am unable to take a regular class, but at least I am doing something. Today I was gratified, in that we did BJJ techniques, and I had a partner of similar stature as myself, but about 40 years my junior. We had a warm up to essentially do take downs from a kneeling position, and within 30 seconds, my sparring partner stated, "you wrestled in high school, didn't you?" It's not much of a compliment, but I am gratified to know that I didn't forget everything I learned in high school! Time to go soak in a hot bath for my poor old sore muscles.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that soak, DrDan! You are likely going to feel the hell out of that tomorrow.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I haven't done either, and have heard good things about both. But I thought KM was the ultimate practical martial art, and would be very applicable to real world situations. And why would one be more likely to get you sued than the other?

quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I would seriously consider Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for several reasons. It works in the real world, it doesn't take years to master and it also is less likely to get you sued if he needs to use it to defend himself.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I haven't done either, and have heard good things about both. But I thought KM was the ultimate practical martial art, and would be very applicable to real world situations. And why would one be more likely to get you sued than the other?

BJJ works in the real world without you getting sued because your son severely or permanently injured a bully with Krav Maga. KM is very effective, but it is also a life or death defense, not appropriate for the schoolyard bully at all.

Gracie BJJ combatives program can be learned proficiently in a relatively short amount of time. It can be devastating to the attacker, but it doesn't have to be. And it will work against bigger, stronger opponents.

EDIT: I see what DrDan wrote above. That sounds very intriguing. I guess if you can find that sort of hybrid training that takes out the more violent aspects of KM, it is possibly very effective.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Consider Judo. I just wish it had been available to me when I was younger, and for my son when he was getting started. IMO, a great base art for a lifetime of MA training.

“I hit him with the biggest thing I could find, the Earth.”

Plenty of time for him to get into pure combat arts, like Krav Maga or Kajukenbo, later in life.

This. My buddy who knows far more about this stuff than me also recommended judo for my grandson who has the same problems Dr. Dan's son has. He has attended two classes now and loves it.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Here's an expert on the subject, former SEAL Jocko Willink. This is just under 8 minutes, but very worth it: