Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Silver rounds Login/Join 
Picture of msfzoe
posted
Want to start a monthly program to acquire silver rounds.
Looking for suggestions. ..best round to buy and preferred vendor.
Tia

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
https://americanhistory.si.edu.../object/nmah_1188465

???

I think you have to know Ranger Jim and live near his silver mine.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
why rounds over junk?

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They may have slightly higher premiums over spot, but I prefer actual minted coins such as US eagles, Canadian maple leaf, etc. over rounds since most coins have some level of anti-counterfeiting features making them easier to authenticate, both when buying or selling. As for a vendor, whoever’s been in the business for a while and reputable with the lowest delivered premium (assuming you’re buying and taking delivery). Have used Money Metals and Provident, but the latter was recently sold so not sure what that means for its future.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
SDbullion usually has the best prices...slightly. It is a very tight market so best to shop around as often as possible.

The choicest rounds IMO are Sunshine Mint. They have a good authentication feature and you can sometimes find deals on their premiums.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SD Bullion is a great place to buy, but very slow to ship. Be sure what you buy is in stock.

Posts: 90 | Registered: September 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Picked up a tube of 2023 Philharmonics in Feb. for $2/oz less than they are going for now from SD. I like to plug in 100k order to see where the inventory is and watch. The 2023 Roaring Lion Truth round special went pretty quick.

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding that this stuff is getting to be more difficult to come by, hence some of the delays.

One of the big local guys to me has nothing sitting around, and can sell whatever comes in immediately.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
A "monthly program" is a way to dollar cost average. If you are so inclined, Andy Schectman at Miles Franklin may be able to hook you up as well. He frequently mentions that he made a promise to his father to purchase every 2 weeks. However, more lately, he has stated that "the market ultimately will be defined by the inability to source product". Good fortune on the OP's stacking journey.

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Is the Lone Ranger still in the business?

When I saw the thread title my mind went to "what kind of furnace do you have to have to cast silver?" Melting point: 1,763.2 °F vs. Lead at 621.43 °F.

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for best return on your investment, look for the lowest premium product. Perhaps a 10 oz bar or basic 1 oz rounds and the US Silver Eagle. Stay away from the big bars like 100 or 1000 oz for zombie apocalypse prepping as they are going to be harder to sell or trade.

US, Canadian, and Swiss products are probably going to be easier to sell than oddball mints or exotic products. Thus a slightly higher premium is probably justified as compared to plain rounds.

US silver coins can be a decent idea for the zombie apocalypse since people will probably accept them for payment. I'm not convinced of the profitability of coins except for actual collectible rare coins.

There are electronic verifier testers which somehow verify the purity of the product. They weigh and do some kind of electro-magnetic test. If you buy locally you should be able to get the dealer to put it on their tester.

Posts: 9443 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:

Is there a werewolf in your area?
Big Grin

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Rounds. Big Grin It didn't click with me. Clever.

But on topic, quite a few years ago I got the silver bug and bought a fair amount of it....probably at high prices. I still find it very intriguing and enjoy the feel and look of the various rounds and bars I bought.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I opened this eager to read about a member with a werewolf problem.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Ahh. I wasn't the only one.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Is the Lone Ranger still in the business?
<snip>

My thought as well. Hi ho Silver! Smile

Next: Roy Rogers on channel 4. Then The Cisco Kid on channel 9!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Years ago I used AMPEX. We’re competitive on price and shipping was fast. Have no idea if they’re still that good. They will hammer you with emails though.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Some years ago one of the members here recommended a dealer in Montana and I set up a monthly buy of $100 in US Eagles. That went on for a couple of years and ended when his minimum order was raised and I didn't respond. His prices were quite competitive, as I recall.

ETA: I recall the dealer was Montana Rarities.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:

Is there a werewolf in your area?
Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
I opened this eager to read about a member with a werewolf problem.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Premiums are all over the place these days. I keep a list of 8 or 10 dealers in my favorites and scroll through when I'm ready to purchase. In silver, I prefer RCM or BRM products. US mint premiums are currently out of control. Liberty Coin, Bullion Exchanges, SD & JM Bullion, Provident and Monument Metals to name a few. Also, when you look, check Ebay listings. Some of the big dealers will discount on Ebay to draw in casual buyers. Have fun! (And be careful. Addiction is possible)

Posts: 641 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post