SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone lost your firearms recently flying through Austin-Bergstrom International Airport?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone lost your firearms recently flying through Austin-Bergstrom International Airport? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Ja’Quan knows where they are. Roll Eyes

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/...hecked-firearms.html

Texas airport baggage handler charged with stealing multiple checked firearms

Published March 03, 2017 FoxNews.com

An airport baggage handler formerly employed at Austin-Bergstrom International Airpor has been arrested after authorities said he stole handguns from checked luggage to trade for marijuana.

According to a press release issued Wednesday by the U.S Attorney’s Office, Western District of Texas, 25-year old baggage handler, Ja’Quan Johnson of Austin, Texas surrendered to FBI agents based on a federal criminal complaint charging him with theft from an interstate shipment and possession of stolen firearms while working at Austin's main airport (ABIA)

The complaint alleges that Johnson stole numerous handguns from inside passenger bags at ABIA between Nov. 29, 2016 and Feb. 2, 2017.

The complaint also claims that Johnson traded some of the stolen firearms for marijuana, which is illegal to possess in Texas.

Austin police have since recovered seven stolen firearms and seized an unspecified amount of illegal drugs in warranted searches, which led to the arrests of two of Johnson's alleged accomplices.

Should he be convicted, Johnson will face up to 10 years in a federal prison for theft from an interstate shipment and for possession of each stolen firearm.

Johnson was released on a personal recognizance bond following his initial court appearance on March 1 before United States Magistrate Judge Andrew W. Austin.

No future court dates have been announced but the FBI, Austin police and the Transportation Security Administration are currently investigating.

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Johnson was released on a personal recognizance bond following his initial court appearance on March 1 before United States Magistrate Judge Andrew W. Austin.

That sucks,what the hell is wrong with that judge!

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Was he only stealing firearms? How would he know what luggage, out of thousands of pieces, contains them? I thought they weren't supposed to be conspicuously marked.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
At least in the 'older days' they were marked as containing firearms. That may of changed, maybe not.

There are also various ways now that look at the content of checked luggage, at least looking for nefarious items.

Stealing firearms isn't smart, cameras & chain of custody often trails the luggage. Then when it comes up missing, it's sort of a higher profile crime which brings the spotlight.

Posts: 6386 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
^
I havent flown in years but I have in the past flown with firearms and the airlines make you put a big red tag on the luggage
Came back from Frankford to atlanta and had my bag ripped open.
Was lost the first day,got called the next day to pick it up.
The joke was on the tool here in atlanta as I had taken the receiver .
The stock and barrel was all that was in the bag.
H left me a message on my cloths in the bag [A big greasy shoe print]

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stealing firearms isn't smart ...

Neither is Ja'Quan, or his parent(s) who gave him that name. I'll bet this apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Was he only stealing firearms? How would he know what luggage, out of thousands of pieces, contains them? I thought they weren't supposed to be conspicuously marked.

More than likely he was stealing other stuff too. But the Feds don't care about that, the locals can prosecute after the Feds are done with him. But why bother as he is facing at least 10 years on the Federal charges, the local theft charges are unlikely to get that long of a sentence.

But if he was indeed targeting firearms, I think that due to the way at some airports where firearms are screened at a special terminal screening area, to target those bags as there is a high likelihood that a bag will contain a gun.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I havent flown in years but I have in the past flown with firearms and the airlines make you put a big red tag on the luggage

Tagging bags with a firearms tag is against Federal law, for that exact reason. Not even international carriers can do it for the US departing and arriving flights. Spent about 15 minutes convincing an foreign airline agent in Houston on that point.

OTOH a declaration form is required, but that should be inside the case or bag unless the case is being put inside another bag. Then it should be places inside the bag near the case.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Stealing firearms isn't smart, cameras & chain of custody often trails the luggage. Then when it comes up missing, it's sort of a higher profile crime which brings the spotlight.

Bags containing firearms don't get any special treatment beyond the initial screening at some airports. In fact giving the bags special treatment is counter intuitive as that indicates to a rotten baggage handler that the bag contains a gun. And the handlers have plenty time in the belly of the plane (which is out of sight from cameras) to go through the bags.

-------

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
How are the victims of this theft treated when they make a claim?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34390 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

For many federal district courts the default assumption is personal bond, unless there are extreme circumstances. Even for crimes much more serious than this. Here is one example:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-e...urns-guilty-verdicts

(Sorry for the thread drift).

Posts: 1172 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
How are the victims of this theft treated when they make a claim?
I was wondering about that, too. Do the airport take any responsibility?

"We're very sorry for your inconvenience. Please fill out this form. We'll place it in the circular file."

Posts: 4822 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
quote:
quote:

For many federal district courts the default assumption is personal bond, unless there are extreme circumstances. Even for crimes much more serious than this. Here is one example:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-e...urns-guilty-verdicts

(Sorry for the thread drift).

Don't be sorry, I'm really glad you answered. I was wondering why such a serious crime would have a PR bond.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Chased a guy thru 3 states. Judge released him on an OR bond because "He wasn't a flight risk". I got two days in the can an contempt charge for my "outburst".

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I hope ol' Ja’Quan gets a little Texas justice. Piece of shit.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 996 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
There are many matches that I'd love to shoot, but I'm so paranoid about flying with a gun due solely to a-holes like Ja'Quon. Many thousands of dollars and year plus build times on a replacement. So I'm curious as to what the airlines do, if anything, when a gun is stolen as well.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PPGMD:
quote:

Tagging bags with a firearms tag is against Federal law, for that exact reason. Not even international carriers can do it for the US departing and arriving flights. Spent about 15 minutes convincing an foreign airline agent in Houston on that point.

OTOH a declaration form is required, but that should be inside the case or bag unless the case is being put inside another bag. Then it should be places inside the bag near the case.

I recently flew from DFW to Salt Lake City and back with a checked pistol in my bag. They put a big ass red tag on the outside of my bag. Had to pick up my bag at baggage claim office in salt lake but at DFW it ended up on the belt carousal with the rest of the luggage.

Posts: 846 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:

I recently flew from DFW to Salt Lake City and back with a checked pistol in my bag. They put a big ass red tag on the outside of my bag .

That ain't kosher. What airline was that?

quote:
Had to pick up my bag at baggage claim office in salt lake but at DFW it ended up on the belt carousal with the rest of the luggage.

Under normal circumstances, the bag should come out on the carousel like any other.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30896 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
ATL to DFW and back. I put a cable through the pelican case and the bar in the suitcase. Gun tag from airlines inside suitcase. No problems except ATL made me go to over sized luggage to drop it, don't know why.

Posts: 5536 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
so let me get this straight. He breaks into a gun store and steals weapons to sell for drugs

and he gets let out on a PR bond?

I'm in the wrong business

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53785 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post