SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are battery powered chainsaws worth a damn?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are battery powered chainsaws worth a damn? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Do you already have a battery and charger for other power tools? This could save you a lot of money up front if you got a saw compatible with your present system.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
Do you already have a battery and charger for other power tools? This could save you a lot of money up front if you got a saw compatible with your present system.

I do, lots of EGO batteries. So I’m giving them a hard look.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8799 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is why I went with the Kobalt saw - I had several Kobalt 40V items already that we used so it made my choice easy.

I also have a 55cc and a 36cc Husqvarna saws in my shop that I have not used since buying the battery Kobalt…..but the 55cc has an 18” bar on it so it is designed for bigger jobs/trees….

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I’m in the exact same boat as the OP. I looked long and hard at the 40 and 80v models from Horror Freight. About $250-300 for saw, battery(s) & charger. Less if you stalk a sale. Reviews and videos look legit. (imo the only risk is 5-10 years from now; Chances of parts are slim and doubtless HF will have changed battery/charger platforms. But I guess that’s the same for any brand maybe).

FWIW, last 2 times I was THIS close to pulling the trigger. But, the local Grand Rental Station guys are really great and for <$45 I can get a nice nearly new gas Sthill, with a freshly sharpened blade, even gas and oil for the weekend.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...tool-only-56937.html

Posts: 504 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two years ago a storm came through and took off the top of two trees and dumped them in my yard.

Tree companies were talking thousands and waiting for weeks there were so many trees down in the area.

Went out and bought an Ego battery chain saw and filled a pickup full of wood.

I had to stop and recharge the battery once.

I am not sure I would try to take down a tree with it but it worked great cutting up all the downed pieces.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I have the EGO 16” bar and chain (chainsaw) and had to cut up two fairly good sized maples last year, and a small oak this year.

Works great. I haven’t had any issues with small odd cutting jobs, or the 3 trees I’ve had to cut up.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used my friends Kobalt.
WOW! Does that little puppy WORK!

The DeWalt is hard to beat too.

Here's the big question-
What battery powered tools do you already have? Think about going with that. No real reason to have a few tools that are one brand (read battery) and just a chainsaw in another (read battery). Especially if you're only using it a handful of times.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:
Are battery powered chainsaws worth a damn?

Just don't buy a 12-incher and expect it to cut down an oak tree, and you'll be fine. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26423 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I have a drpower 16" 62v chainsaw that I have used a few times, never long enough to drain the 2.5ah battery. I also a few other of their tools so I have 3 batteries if I ever have to do lots of cutting.
They have a Labor day sale going on right now.
Just be aware the prices quoted are just for the tool, battery & charger are separate items but are also on sale.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4137 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
I carry a 12" battery chainsaw in my jeep. We go into the national forest weekly for trout fishing, hiking and exploring. I have used mine many times to clear trees and heavy brush from the road and it has worked great. The only issue I have seen with them is the bar oil holders all leak. I know of 4 different makes where this is the case. All my buddies have the same problem.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3813 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I've had the Ego 16" for 3 or 4 years & it's GTG. The 2.5Ahr batteries are enough, but you get a lot more runtime out of a 5Ahr.

My only complaint is that it leaks bar oil constantly. I believe they have corrected that on newer models as it was a major complaint.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Have the pole saw EGO with the extension, does great when needing to prune limbs, I've cut down some thick ones as well, it doesn't have any issues, plenty of speed.

That made me pick up the EGO chainsaw, got a deal on it as it was the floor model, works perfectly and will cut some pretty thick branches up easily.

I'd say unless you are felling trees for a living then a normal home owner will do well with both, no more mixing fuel, it starts every single time when you want it.

You still have the same oil for the chain bar and keeping it adjusted issues that all chain saws experience, but the ability to slap a battery on it and go is excellent.

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 16" Powerworks 60V chainsaw that has been adequate for me. It uses the same battery as the rest of my yard tools (weedeater, hedge trimmer, pole saw, edger, blower). I have cut down and / or pruned multiple crepe myrtle trees using a single battery. No more 2-stroke gas mixing. I had a Craftsman (Poulan) 20" gas chainsaw, but I had to work on it every year to run, probably because I used it so sparingly. Battery power has proven to be better for me.

Posts: 492 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by florida boy:
I carry a 12" battery chainsaw in my jeep. We go into the national forest weekly for trout fishing, hiking and exploring. I have used mine many times to clear trees and heavy brush from the road and it has worked great. The only issue I have seen with them is the bar oil holders all leak. I know of 4 different makes where this is the case. All my buddies have the same problem.

Not hard and fast rule of thumb. Many chain oilers are gravity fed and storing the saw in its side -- probably with right side up -- will fix the leaking on some saws. Not as convenient and some arrangement may be needed to store a saw on its side.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8351 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Many chain oilers are gravity fed and storing the saw in its side -- probably with right side up -- will fix the leaking on some saws. Not as convenient and some arrangement may be needed to store a saw on its side.

This is exactly how I store my EGO. Big Grin

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caribouhunter
posted Hide Post
Have the Makita tools, so got the Makita. These electric saws are the best for 5 inches and under. It is the go to for getting ready for deer season. Big tree, the Stihl comes out for the trunk and my wife cuts the branches, tree is gone quickly. The blades may be small, but are just as sharp.
I now have a pole pruning saw by Greenworks, I am very impressed by the battery life.

Posts: 420 | Location: White Lake TWP. - Michigan | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the battery powered Milwaukee saw and it works great, I have a gas powered Echo chain saw for large tree cutting but the Milwaukee is very handy.

The Milwaukee was a touch pricey but my home and work tools all use the same battery, I also have the Milwaukee pole saw and it too is very handy.

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I guess it depends what you need a saw for. My neighbor has a battery powered saw & it seems pretty handy for trimming or clearing small saplings from the creek bed, etc. But when a tree comes down, or he's cutting firewood, the gas powered Stihl comes out.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54657 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post