SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tax question, filing status and claiming dependent 18+
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tax question, filing status and claiming dependent 18+ Login/Join 
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted
Good day, question here. I scoured the IRS site but seemingly cannot (or unable to) get a straight answer for my situation.

I've been a single Dad, mother of child deceased, (other than 2 years of a marriage since dissolved)and thus have filed as Head of Household other than the years married.

My son turned 18 this year. For most of the year he has not worked so I plan on filing as head of household and claim him as a dependent (AFAIK it deducts $500 for kids over 17, not the child tax credit).

However, he will start work this week. Basically an entry level job paying $10 per hour ~ 40 hours a week (maybe some overtime, too).

So, for next year (or this too?), do I still file as head of household? Do I still claim him as a dependent or will that mess up his tax filing status regarding refund/credits and what not? He is sure to get credits given lower pay.

Everything I search deals with children/tax credits, etc. but little regarding adult children.

Any guidance appreciated.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4363 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
The only answer I can give you is I believe that if you claim him as a dependent, he cannot claim head of household on his income taxes.

I'm pretty sure I was still a dependent when I was in college. Heck, my Dad did my taxes until I went in the military.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
THanks, I plan to file as head of household not him. I am just wondering if claiming him as a dependent messes up his filing (he will file as single).

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4363 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Either you claim him or he claims himself. I'm sure some tax guys will verify.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't it still the 50% rule? If you provide more than that, then you should be able to claim as head of household.

It isn't just the income - it is the all-around (housing, transportation, etc..) to consider.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Rather than recite all this, go here and read it.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/ta...-household/L4Nx6DYu9

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post