SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RV recon vehicle...to scoot or not to scoot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RV recon vehicle...to scoot or not to scoot Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
I'm getting close to finalizing my RV retirement plans (2019 Newmar Bay Star 3401, if anyone is interested) and now I'm casting an eye at what I may use to get around if I don't want to move the RV. One of my coworkers just got back from out west in their Class C and we were discussing the roads out there and how tight some of the tunnels (in South Dakota I think?) were. That led to talking about towing a smaller vehicle when she said "We are thinking about getting scooters!"

Well....that's an idea. Cheap, light, easy to move around, capable of light grocery trips. In addition, I want something that can deal with gravel roads.

Which leads me to the Honda Ruckus or the Yamaha Zuma 125. Both seem to be very popular with aftermarket crowd, have good reviews. The 125 I feel certain would be better on asphalt roads than the 49.5cc Ruckus. I wonder about the tires though. I was told the Zuma has "fat tires" but they don't really look it. I also read that the Ruckus feels better to ride.

So, anyone have any experience with either or both?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16232 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, since you are thinking gravel roads, I would opt for a Yamaha TW-200.
Great little bike and well suited to a lot of different riding situations.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
You'll limit what you want to do if it's rainy.

I'll get plenty of grief for this, you really want to go into hand to hand combat with traffic on a scooter? If you are retiring I'll assume your not young and pliable any longer.

The UTV's are becoming very accepted around here as road vehicles. You may want to consider one of them.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5237 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
X2 on the UTV's and they can be licensed in South Dakota for on the road use. You can also license your MH there as well.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Just buy a Jeep.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The TW200 did cross my sights, but I decided I didn't want an actual motorcycle. I figure even a bike as low as that might be cumbersome to throw a leg over as I get older.

If it's rainy, I won't be out doing whatever. I suspect most of my time will be spent in the southwest, so that shouldn't be a limiting factor. LOL I also considered UTVs, but the Razor (the SF guys here in WV love those) looked to approach the cost of a car! And they would have to be trailered.

And the Jeep was my first thought, but I really didn't want to bother with towing anything. I also looked at electric bikes (QuietKat and Evelo) but their range seems kinda limited.

Posts: 16232 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I'd get a Jeep, myself. I don't think I'd enjoy riding a scooter in traffic, wearing a helmet in the weather. Particularly when it's really hot. And I've had too many close calls with distracted drivers when I'm in an immense highly visible pickup truck.

I flat tow my old CJ-7 jeep fairly regularly. It's no big deal. I just drive it up to the back of the tow vehicle and hook it up. Takes maybe 5 minutes.

Posts: 27185 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Wife and I debated this. We have a 30 foot class C daily driver is a Subaru Forester. Not going to tow bar the Subie you need a trailer to get all 4 wheels off the ground. Other vehicle is a 2016 Expedition EL. Almost as big as the class C itself! Smile So then we thought about getting a smaller travel trailer to tow behind the Expedition when we wanted to take longer trips to places where we would want a vehicle to get around in.

Conclusion we came to is we can rent a lot of cars cheaper than any of the other alternatives. You can have rentals delivered and picked up right at your camp site. No hassle and much cheaper and easier than towing around a separate vehicle. The scooter idea sounds good but rain is going to make it a bad idea. Rain days are when you are going to want the transportation the most.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
While UTVs might be road legal in some places it is likely the are not road legal in all places.

I believe it would be fair to say scooters are legal everywhere. The trend I have seen is that 49cc or less typically don't require a tag (see some vs. all statement above), but I would opt for something requiring a tag so that you remove limits.

I am not sure if you plan to RV fulltime or not. Before punching eject on stick and stone structures, please realize the RV lifestyle isn't for all. If the opportunity presents, I would suggest several long (month) outings while still having a home. You will need to sort out mail, insurance, tagging, and licensing but to mention a few. A trailer or fifth wheel changes the discussion also.

Good luck whatever you choose. Feel free to reach out, my email is in my profile. I have done full time RV in the past while working. The experience of others can save your heartache if considered. Smile

Posts: 3586 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Scooters are easy to get on and off, they typically have built in storage, good weather protection with their front bodywork and floorboards (further improved with a small windshield). They're also easy to just get on and go heck you don't even have to lift a leg over the seat just slide on, turn the key, push a button and go.
But with their small wheels and relative high rear unsprung weight they don't do so well on rough roads. That didn't stop me from taking my Honda Elite 250 on some gnarly trails. Got high centered a few times but it was light enough to push it off.

Honda's CT110 is the perfect RV bike IMO only problem they don't import them here, yet at least. A Super Cub might fit your need though.... https://powersports.honda.com/...er-cub-c125-abs.aspx

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know two couples who are RV’ing around the country. One had a Honda Ruckus that got stolen. He bought a Toyota Yaris. The other couple tows a Cooper. They like having AC here in the South.

Posts: 1989 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I have zero experience with scooters.

I think it's a great idea though. I'd have a motorcycle rainsuit just in case. A scooter, with it's ability to keep up with traffic, is probably safer than a bicycle. It would certainly have greater range in a timely manner. Easy on fuel, low maintenance, definitely easier to transport with a hitch mounted carrier vs a car or UTV and won't affect your motorhome's mileage nearly as much either.

The TW200 looks like fun, though. My dad is almost 80 and can still swing his leg over a motorcycle. Barring some sort of injury, if you do it on a regular basis, maybe it's an ability you don't need to worry about losing? You could start with a TW200 and years down the road switch to a scooter.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would consider a side by side ATV/UTV, with a roof, full windshield, doors and back windshield.

We've been RVing over 8 years and camphosted for four of those.

You'd be surprised how weather can just up and turn on you. We have a Polaris Rzr but that might not be your style. Get whatever is most comfortable and will be as you age. We think the seats in the Rzr are much more comfortable than the Ranger.

One reason (besides price) that we went with a travel trailer than a class A is that we can disconnect and go wherever without an extra vehicle. We got our Rzr when we discovered what a hoot they are. You can get toy haulers that accommodate these vehicles so you can have the best of all worlds.

Congratulations on your pending retirement and GOOD LUCK!! Smile

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Get a Jeep.

Posts: 12950 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes...lass-G/model-G550W44

you only live once

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55211 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
Get a Jeep.

You can have it all!!!
This is on my retirement "to buy" list.
So I can take the Harley along but they make all kinds of configurations if you wanted two scooters , a side by side quad , etc...

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6944 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I would like that Jeep, grumpy! LOL

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
There are several RV's with built in garages, under or in back, depends on the budget and what you want to take with you, car, bike, scooter, atv etc.

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post