SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Attention BGE, Primo, Kamodo Joe, and Other Ceramic Kamodo Owners
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attention BGE, Primo, Kamodo Joe, and Other Ceramic Kamodo Owners Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Tonight, I was grilling beef fajitas at about 650 degrees. My process is to cook with the lid closed, open to flip, close lid, open to flip and measure temperature, close lid, and open every minute or so to flip and check internal temp.

I was quite surprised this evening when I opened the lid for the 2nd flip, and the ceramic top half goes sailing into the lawn. Fortunately, the ceramic top half didn't break and the lawn didn't catch fire. Upon further inspection, the bolt that holds the steel ring tight around the ceramic and connects to the hinge hand backed its way out.

I finished cooking and ate as the lid cooled for about 20 minutes. Then, I grabbed my 900 degree bbq gloves and set the lid back on the base. Everything is back sealed up and I was able to smother the blazing hot charcoal (kind of worried about that).

The reason I'm sharing is to suggest everyone who owns a BGE, Primo, Kamodo Joe, or other ceramic kamodo to inspect their bolts for tightness. I'd hate to have someone have the same thing happen, but break their top half or start a fire.

I'm going to use this opportunity to change out the gasket between the top halves, and when I reattach the lid hinge I'm going to lock-tite the bolts.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23399 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
when I reattach the lid hinge I'm going to lock-tite the bolts.

Heat breaks up loctite. Don't know if the part in question gets hot or not, but you may be better off with a mechanical means like lock washers.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15759 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up. I recall my Kamado Joe manual recommending periodic checks of all bolts, but your story drives the point home. Haven’t checked them in a year, but I will now.

Posts: 1187 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
I recommend a high temp gasket, nomex I think. They last a lot longer, at least in my case.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have heard of this happening, and the others weren’t so lucky. The lid landed on concrete or pavers. Always important to double check the torque of those fasteners every now and then.

I should re-torque mine.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17368 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Good thing it didn't land on your foot. Or the dog. Seriously, no joke.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Thanks for the heads-up. I recall my Kamado Joe manual recommending periodic checks of all bolts, but your story drives the point home. Haven’t checked them in a year, but I will now.
Mine were last checked July '16.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23399 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
I recommend a high temp gasket, nomex I think. They last a lot longer, at least in my case.
I already had a gasket waiting for installation - it's a Gold Standard High Heat Gasket with Adhesive for Large Big Green Egg with Kevlar and Nomex.

I'll order another one once I install this one as I like to have a spare gasket on hand.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
when I reattach the lid hinge I'm going to lock-tite the bolts.

Heat breaks up loctite. Don't know if the part in question gets hot or not, but you may be better off with a mechanical means like lock washers.
Good suggestion. I don't have any high temperature (450F) lock-tite so I'll go the lock washer route.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Nyloc (sp?) nuts would be useless, but the steel (crushed top part of the nut) would probably be ideal if you could get them in the size and thread pitch you need.

Posts: 6951 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
I already had a gasket waiting for installation - it's a Gold Standard High Heat Gasket with Adhesive for Large Big Green Egg with Kevlar and Nomex.

I'll order another one once I install this one as I like to have a spare gasket on hand.

Do you order that from BGE? Mine is two years old and perhaps I should replace the gasket. Thanks for the heads up to tighten the bolts.

Posts: 3254 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

Do you order that from BGE? Mine is two years old and perhaps I should replace the gasket. Thanks for the heads up to tighten the bolts.
Amazon .

posted Hide Post
While we are on the ceramic grill subject, has anyone had experience with the Vision Series sold at Sam's Club? Had my car there today and loaded up, but if I would have had my van, there would be one on my patio right now!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Maybe get a longer bolt and double nut it?

Posts: 11133 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reminder! Sorry for way it happened.

BTW, I changed my bands and handle out yesterday to the new style. My egg is about 8 years old I believe, and I had the small wooden handle. The new bands are VERY nice, wish I would have changed a long time ago.

I have the large egg. The new bands don't open the egg as far, but, they make it easier to open and close, no more possibility of slamming closed. There are also tabs that prevent the top from coming out like yours did if it loosens. At least an early warning system. :-)

Also, one huge benefit. My base cracked last year. The new one would not line up with the top no matter what. Had an overbite... But, the new bands... allow it to line up easily.

Also, paperwork says to tighten all hardware, every 90 days..... I have never done that, but will now.

Bought from the Ceramic Grill Store. $133 ish I think.

CGS is an awesome store BTW.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Also, I have the gasket you bought, it does hold up very well, even with the overbite I had.

I did clean the heck out of the surfaces. Grinder and acetone if I remember right.

Then I sprayed adhesive on grill, and gasket even though it has adhesive already. Let sit till became tacky. Then applied.

Also, offset your gaskets so gaps on ends don't align.

This worked very well for me.

Good luck!

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Yes I have had my current BGE for 8 years and cook on it about 3x a week. I have replaced the bolts one and am on my 3rd set of gaskets.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've had mine 13 yrs and changed the gasket once. But I think I'm due to give it a once over.

Aside from the gasket, in 13 yrs the only thing I've had to replace was the fire grate (the thing at the bottom that holds the charcoal. $20)
I'm quite pleased.

Posts: 7416 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I over heated mine and the gasket has now bonded the two halves together.

Any ideas?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17486 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I over heated mine and the gasket has now bonded the two halves together.

Any ideas?

I have heard of them freezing together, but not melting together.

If it were mine, I would carefully use a putty knife / scraper, and tap it in around the gasket line. Take your time and go slow.

Don't hit the ceramic, but the area between the lids.

Keep egg supported depending on what it is sitting in while you are tapping in scraper.

Good luck!