SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dog/puppy vaccination pros/cons how to?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dog/puppy vaccination pros/cons how to? Login/Join 
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted
Hey guys so we got a new puppy and just gave it its second vaccine (spectra 9) and she’s developed quite a belly rash. Now that we live in an era of righteously questioning “the man’s” mandates and recommendations, I’m wondering if bombarding my puppy with vaccines every two weeks for the first few months of its life and then yearly after that is a good idea.

I’m sure some of the vaccines are good and some are not necessary. What do you guys know? Should I go against the norm?

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Definitely get them vaccinated.

A good friend of mine just lost an entire litter of 3 or 4 month old puppies to Parvo, because she hadn't bothered to get them vaccinated as recommended. She was devastated, and all those puppies needlessly suffered.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Parvo is one that seems to be a good idea but do they really need 9 different viruses at the same time?

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheeze:
Parvo is one that seems to be a good idea but do they really need 9 different viruses at the same time?

is it around other dogs or will it be later? If so get all the vaccines.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Do you guys think I need to worry about the rash?

DONT TREAD ON ME

Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Is he/she scratching at it? If not I'd just watch the rash. maybe give pup a Benadryl ... And Rabies shots are a must by law.

Yes I think it is definitely worth give all shots.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Call your vet. Now. He/she knows the details of the vaccine and possible side affects.
May be nothing, may be unrelated. Ask the doc. Then decide.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
If you have a vet that you trust, talk to him/her about your concerns. We have a great vet that we've had for years and we go by his recommendations 100%.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately no. All the vets around here I’ve had experience with are basically looking to sell us on expensive treatments and tests while prescribing medication weather necessary or not.
Kinda like people doctors haha.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

More likely the food or some other source for the problem.
Otherwise, find the best vet in your area and do what they recommend. Don't overthink this.

Posts: 9512 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I love dogs. Cats, well, I used to be a take them or leave them guy, did not really care for them, but did not hate them, either. Just kind of neutral.

Then, Paragon (who no longer posts here) "stuck" me with one of her cats. My wife and the cat have really bonded, and I have to admit that that Cat has gained my affection, too.

Couple months ago, my wife took Cat to the vet, routine visit. It was a Friday, my wife's regular day off at the time. Cat got some sort of combination vaccine shot.

Friday evening, Cat was not doing too well. Saturday, we had a crippled cat. She could not move her hind legs. She could not lie on the side where she had the shot, too much pain.

It was a weekend, regular vet was now closed, so wife took Cat to the 24 hour emergency vet clinic.

Thirteen hundred bucks and several days later, Cat was recovering. That was few months ago, she is back to her normal self now.

Vet agreed that since it is strictly an indoor cat with no exposure to other animals, vaccination will not be required in the future.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Unfortunately no. All the vets around here I’ve had experience with are basically looking to sell us on expensive treatments and tests while prescribing medication weather necessary or not.
Kinda like people doctors haha.

My vet was the same way..it was like going to a used car salesman. When given the opportunity to critique the last visit. I let her hold it. (When typing I can lay out my thoughts, but in person due to my stroke I might miss something).

I got a late night call from her and I reiterated my problems.

Fast forward several months and it’s time to take in Rock for his bordatella and it was a breath of fresh air….no pushing for “senior bloodwork” no pushing for other stuff, just , “hey how’s Rock? Ok here’s his shots..if he has any reactions call me, and have a good day”

Guess she had been getting pushback from more than me..or I have a red flag on my account.

Do the puppy vaccines…get the parvo and annual rabies and bordatella if he gets kenneled at all.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Dug has one more set of shots to go in two weeks.

My vet spaced out the shots every 3 weeks.

Get the shots and give your puppy heart worm medicine too.

You should not take your puppy out for walks until they have a certain level of shots. I forgot what ones but check with your Vet.

key tester keyboard

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Space the shots out every 3 weeks. First 2 (6 and 9 weeks) get the DA2PP, second 2 sets 12 and 15 weeks) get the DA2PPL4. That last one is Lepto 4 way, which is important since Leptospirosis is zoonotic.

Rabies on the last round, booster it in a year. Bordetella on the 3rd and 4th rounds as well.

Rash could be anything from puppy pyoderma to fungus to mange to.... you get the picture.

Don't trust those vets. They know bupkis and will screw you in a nanosecond for a dime. Good luck with the pup.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Pups definitely need all the vaccinations, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with spacing them out some. There’s no reason to get 3+ shots in one visit. My vet is awesome. Doesn’t care one bit to do this.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
My miniature Schnauzers eyes swelled upon receiving her first puppy shots. The next round her vet gave her a antihistamine to prevent it from occurring again but it still occured seemingly on just one side though. Her vet said that wasn't really possible but nevertheless he wouldn't be giving her anymore vaccinations. I asked if we should just give her the shots and have her eyes swell temporarily rather than take the chance of her getting sick. He stated that she could die next time so I agreed that she wouldn't receive anymore vaccinations. I'm careful to only expose her to pets of owners that I know but even that is few and far between. I feel bad for her inability to play with other animals and I'm actively looking for another Schnauzer to keep her company. Otherwise, she is very healthy and I'm grateful for that.

It sounds like your pup is having very minor symptoms and hopefully it's determined to be caused by something other than vaccines that can be simply avoided.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Vet. ‘Course slabsides just helped you out…but in my state (and, I thought, in all) a vet HAS to administer the rabies vaccine, so you’re going to have to bring him in at some point, regardless.
May as well ask them about the reaction when you make that appt.

Reread the OP. Yes, there have been plenty of studies about overvaccinating..I remember working with cats where we were giving specific vaccines in specific locations to track any reaction at the injection site. That was years ago, and iirc, ALL the clinics were doing it. I believe many vets have switched to 3 year boosters for certain types of vaccines, but stick to yearly for others.

Initially, absolutely. Vaccinate and get the subsequent boosters. Give your pup that helping hand to her immune system for the first year. Then work on developing a relationship with a vet somewhere around you. Together you can decide what’s appropriate for your area, and your specific pup.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey guys so we got a new puppy and just gave it its second vaccine (spectra 9) and she’s developed quite a belly rash. Now that we live in an era of righteously questioning “the man’s” mandates and recommendations, I’m wondering if bombarding my puppy with vaccines every two weeks for the first few months of its life and then yearly after that is a good idea.

I’m sure some of the vaccines are good and some are not necessary. What do you guys know? Should I go against the norm?

Really not sure why you would "righteously question" the recommended vaccines for your helpless pup?? Give your dog the vaccines so it doesn't die in a terrible way one day and move on. We're not talking about covid here....

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to do right by your pup DON'T get one.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We have a new pup, too, and just went through the vaccine regimen. It was annoying to have to wait to let her with other dogs but needs to be done. Now that the wait is over it seems like it never happened, she's happy, healthy and loves to romp with other dogs.

Ours is the black one at the local dog park:

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post