SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Worth it to probe for jobs 2 years out?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worth it to probe for jobs 2 years out? Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
We’re done with Oregon. We are now on a 2 year plan to move to Florida. My wife can find a job in days as she’s an OR nurse in level 1 trauma centers. Me, not so much. My job is very specific but I can adapt to different fields. The four fields I have experience in are aviation, semiconductor/tech and laser micromachining/marking/cutting/etching, and gunsmithing.

Will companies want to hear from me if I’m still 2 years away from moving? Is it worth sending an intro email before sending a résumé? We’re planning on vacationing in Orlando in the summer of 2022 and taking a week or two for job interviews. We’re looking to move to central to north Florida.

We’re working hard to eliminate all debt and build up a moving fund. We will probably have a about $100k in equity in our home when we sell so we’ll have some resources to work with by then.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
You start applying now and consider being a geographical bachelor until your wife is ready to move and you're ready to sell the OR home.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SE has a glut of nurses and NPs. The schools are churning them out as fast as they can. Why it’s the lowest paid region in the country for them

My GF moved to eastern OR for good pay as an NP with 20yrs trauma and ER RN

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6237 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...

if you're really stuck there like a fly in amber for the next 2 years, IMO it's too early to apply/interview for specific positions. While 2020 is in the rear view mirror, it put a lot of noise into company planning. I doubt anyone in any HR position knows what they will be doing in 24 months - hiring, firing, or treading water.

Maybe turn it around and think about it this way...

If you got that perfect offer, could you advance your schedule and accept it and move early, or is there something really hard-and-fast about Jan 2023 (vesting a pension, e.g.) ? If a perfect gig could get you there now, then going at current opportunities full bore with resumes and cover letters etc. makes sense.

Otherwise, at this point 24 months out, the best thing might be to just start networking, and doing research on skills that hiring companies are currently expecting in filling those sorts of openings, so that if any of your credentials/skills need updating you can take care of that ahead of time.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

The four fields I have experience in are aviation
Hey -- send me a note, email address is in my profile, let me know what your aviation experience is. I might be able to help, might be able to get you plugged in to the network.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30738 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Are you contractually obligated to stay for the next 2 years or be sued or give back a bonus?

If you're stuck with the 2 years, I would collect information on the companies that would be your target. See if you can build a network of acquaintances in the area, see if you can get some informational meetings (which in this case is really true since you're tied up). Depending on when you can truly cut ties with your present company, start a year or six months out with the job search.

Good luck.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19719 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

The four fields I have experience in are aviation
Hey -- send me a note, email address is in my profile, let me know what your aviation experience is. I might be able to help, might be able to get you plugged in to the network.

Thanks! Was an avionics tech in the Marines for 7 years. Collateral duty inspector as well. Haven’t worked in that field since 2001 but I’ve been in the tech industry ever since then.

We’re going to both be taking pay cuts. Combined, we make about $225k per year. I have to pay off a 401k loan that I used when we purchased options on our new home while it was being built. I also have student loans and so does she. We can clear up most of that debt in a year at our current rate which will give us flexibility to take part cuts and still buy a home.

We’re looking to survive on $150k combined.

Tony.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Tony:

I also have lots of contacts in aviation here in central Florida when you are ready. I'm working with a group that is putting a Part 135 charter operation together, and those guys know everyone, from the airlines on down.

In addition, there is significant military tech in Orlando and near by on the space coast; all of the space flight companies have a presence here, Harris Corp. is in Melbourne, Embraer has a major facility in Melbourne, etc.

In Orlando there is significant military technology at Lockheed Martin, and in any number of smaller companies clustered around UCF and the High Tech Naval Support Activity there.

Finally, there are a bunch of arms manufacturers here, including Knights, Spikes, Taurus and EAA.

There are a LOT of us here in central Florida, and between the group, I'm sure we are pretty well connected in all of those industries.

I can also say that Orlando Health is growing about as fast as they can opening new hospitals and expanding old ones. I was in a meeting with their hospital administrator before Christmas and he was praying for referrals to skilled nurses.

I'm a member of a couple of chambers of commerce, and participate in a larger number of networking groups. Email is in profile, and I'd be happy to help you and make introductions for both of you as soon as you need them.

It's worth considering that growth here is very rapid at the moment. You might want to evaluate your two year horizon unless you are locked in and unable to change it.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12798 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

Was an avionics tech in the Marines for 7 years.
Similar, but I was Navy -- you know, the parent company of the USMC. Razz

All sorts of places to send your avionics resume here in Central Florida. You have all the airlines that operate out of MCO, also at MCO there is a regional Cessna Citation factory service center (I know a guy who could be helpful there). And, again at MCO, there is Flight Safety, they need to keep their multi-million dollar simulators working 22 hours a day (two hours reserved for maintenance), so if there is any sort of glitch during a training session they need a hot fix, right now.

There are many training outfits in the Central Florida area that have fleets of aircraft; they need maintenance guys.

ORL (the General Aviation airport right in downtown Orlando) has a great radio shop, they might need someone in their installation or maintenance department.

Our Little Airport -- X04, Orlando-Apopka -- had a guy just show up several years ago. He made a deal for some space in the corner of a hangar and has done very well for himself, doing installations and maintenance; he was Navy avionics.

There is a husband and wife team operating out of one of the airports on the Atlantic coast. They have a van and do a mobile service, nothing but the IFR certifications that are due every two years -- the pitot / static system, altimeter, and Mode C transponder checks. They are booked for months in advance.

There are so many different areas that a competent avionics guy could work in, around here, that I would suggest that you think about what would really interest you, and then between Artie and me, we could point you at where you might want to speak with people. Decide, among other things, whether you want to work for The Man, or do your own thing.

Let us know how we can help. Also, give us a heads-up if you decide to do an exploratory trip here.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30738 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Was an avionics tech in the Marines for 7 years.
Similar, but I was Navy -- you know, the parent company of the USMC. Razz

Chortle, chortle chortle.

Also - don't forget about Northrop and Boeing. Pretty sure they both have a big presence in FL (Northrop is in Melbourne for example).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks friends! E-mails inbound!

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
According to google maps, KAC isn’t that far away.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
According to google maps, KAC isn’t that far away.

I was looking at them, but I wonder if my skillset matches their needs. I can assemble an AR just as good as the next guy and I can lay down epoxy like nobody's business, but I have a feeling they would need mechanical engineers or CNC drivers, which I am neither. Assemblers, I'm certain, are probably paid quite low. I'd probably have a better chance of getting a job with them if I went to school for CNC operation or took a formal machinist's class.

My style of gunsmithing falls into a niche category and is more of a form of artistry within the gun industry. I'll send them an e-mail anyway and see what they say.

Tony.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't consider applying for anything two years out. To use your time most effectively, I would keep an eye on what jobs are hiring and paying in the area and seeing where your present skills fit the best.
There is also time to see if you can adapt some of your present experience or even develop something completely different to the job market where you are moving.
Having two years gives you a number of options that are normally unavailable to someone that needs a job right now.

Posts: 9549 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
2 years out it's pointless. Few companies out there will want to entertain that kind of lead out. I'd say 6 months to move. But it cannot hurt for you to start studying the local job market where you want to move. I'm always keeping track of the job market where I'm at. I'm ready for something new though so keeping mild tabs.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12661 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'd pare down my life furnishings and throw what's left into a 6' x 12' U-haul trailer and roll out. Start fresh. Don't worry about work, it'll find you. Employers cannot find qualified people who want to work.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in central Oregon. I am selling my house. The market is really hot now. I expect to loose 50% value in a year if I stay in my house.

My wife wants to stay another two years. So I am going to rent for those two years. But I will be liquid and able to move on at a moments notice.

If you own your home, I would suggest thinking about doing the same. We are headed the way of California and Washington.

Posts: 438 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post