SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Revolutionary War Musket confiscated after being fired during re-enactment in Massachusetts
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolutionary War Musket confiscated after being fired during re-enactment in Massachusetts Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted
Police confiscated musket, after discharge during a practice. Utterly ridiculous.

https://www.boston.com/news/lo.../?p1=hp_featurestack

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I hope that they do continue to do the reenacting because I think I enjoy seeing the reenactments. I think it can be fun for children to see and really bring history alive,” Howard told WCVB. “I just hope that it doesn’t bring it too alive.”

Just without the Muskets... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8892 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... maybe this bit from the linked article might give a bit more background...
quote:
A musket was fired inside a Massachusetts museum Sunday, accidentally sending a projectile into a wooden pole and ceiling beam. No one was injured.

As might this, a bit later in the article...
quote:
The muskets were not supposed to have live ammunition

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Hmmmm... maybe this bit from the linked article might give a bit more background...
quote:
A musket was fired inside a Massachusetts museum Sunday, accidentally sending a projectile into a wooden pole and ceiling beam. No one was injured.

quote:

Seems to me it is almost impossible for a musket (ESPECIALLY in a museum) to 'just go off.' It looks like somebody was either GROSSLY negligent or loaded the gun on purpose.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
It looks like somebody was either GROSSLY negligent or loaded the gun on purpose.

Where's Baldwin?

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If a period firearm, it is possible that the gun was loaded in the 18th century, placed in storage, where it has sat since, until some unlucky renactor didn't make certain it was unloaded using a ramrod or suitable device.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:

quote:

Thanks Joel.

"OMG!! The gubbermints took their guns!!! It was just a reenactment!!!1"

is very different from

"Man has musket confiscated after negligently discharging it inside a museum."

quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
If a period firearm, it is possible that the gun was loaded in the 18th century, placed in storage, where it has sat since, until some unlucky renactor didn't make certain it was unloaded using a ramrod or suitable device.

It was a not a period firearm held by the museum. It was a reenactor's personally owned musket. The reenactors were not affiliated with the museum. They had been given permission to hold drill practice there. The drill practice was supposed to be held outside, and they weren't supposed to have any live ammunition.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Then the reenactor is an idiotic, irresponsible, negligent twatwaffle.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Besides, I doubt that loose Revolutionary War-era gunpowder that had been sitting inside a musket barrel and flash pan for nearly 250 years would have been able to ignite anyway.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Clearly this needs to be thoroughly investigated. It was likely lucky that this happened as it did. Imagine if this musket, loaded with a live round, made it on the reenactment field and was fired at a 'enemy soldier'?

This is more than just having a loaded musket and forgetting it had a round in it and taking it to a meeting. This is a Revolutionary War group so this is a flintlock musket. That means there had to be a flint in the lock and powder in the pan. Who allows a musket in a building with out checking the pan and barrel first?

Honestly, how hard is it to have everyone who brings a musket or piston into the building to open the pan and drop the ramrod down the barrel?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
Not enough info. I'd like to talk to the guy who did it.

Posts: 2771 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:

I disagree.

In the law, we use a phrase - res ipsa loquitur - literally, "the thing speaks for itself". It's a standard of negligence that requires only circumstantial evidence. Relevant here are the first two of three prongs - that whatever happened typically wouldn't without negligence, and that the cause of the negligence was solely in control of the defendant.

Call it an accidental discharge, a negligent discharge, or whatever. But either way, the guy holding the weapon didn't make it safe before playing with it. It went off. Therefore, he was negligent.

Feel free to hypothesize some reasonable facts that would change that logic.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea this doesn’t seem like you need SCOTUS to portion out blame. What a knob.

Posts: 7502 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I once witnessed a re-enactment group "execute" a guy by firing squad. They put him up against a wall and 6-10 of them took aim at about 10-15 yards and fired. It made me very uncomfortable, and I didn't like it at all. All it takes is one dude screwing up his load or one guy getting a foreign object down the bore and now we've got a dead dude to deal with.

GarandThumb had an interesting video sometime in the past year about wound ballistics from black powder muskets...pretty devastating stuff Eek!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:

I disagree.

In the law, we use a phrase - res ipsa loquitur - literally, "the thing speaks for itself". It's a standard of negligence that requires only circumstantial evidence. Relevant here are the first two of three prongs - that whatever happened typically wouldn't without negligence, and that the cause of the negligence was solely in control of the defendant.

Call it an accidental discharge, a negligent discharge, or whatever. But either way, the guy holding the weapon didn't make it safe before playing with it. It went off. Therefore, he was negligent.

Feel free to hypothesize some reasonable facts that would change that logic.

-Rob

Whose firearm was it?

Posts: 2771 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who gives a shit? If I hand you a gun are you going to verify it’s unloaded or just trust me?

Posts: 7502 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Who gives a shit? If I hand you a gun are you going to verify it’s unloaded or just trust me?

FYI, a muzzle loader that is charged but not primed or capped is not considered loaded, at least in my state.

The lack of curiosity as to the facts, especially by one purported to be an attorney, is interesting.

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

FYI, a muzzle loader that is charged but not primed or capped is not considered loaded, at least in my state.

The lack of curiosity as to the facts, especially by one purported to be an attorney, is interesting.

A muzzle loader that is not primed or capped cannot fire. This one fired. It is logical that it was in fact capped or primed (likely as it was pre civil war era). The fact that it discharged proves this.

The question is how and why was it primed/capped AND loaded inside a building and who was responsible to make sure weapons capable of firing were not present?

1. Weapon owner
2. Group leader
3. Facility director
4 __________

If any of the 3-4 above would have taken a simple step this would not have happened.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37966 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Was Alec Baldwin anywhere on the property? Smile

Posts: 9519 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Loaded, the pan charged, and the hammer in cocked position. This guy needs to become the regimental drummer.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post