SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Zipper repair YKK Vislon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zipper repair YKK Vislon Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Thought this would be easy but I can't find the parts I need.

I have a jacket that has a Vislon zipper. It's plastic and white in color. It's missing the slide and bottom box. I can find the slide but not a bottom box. I believe it's a #5.

This video shows what I need to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLbk8C42HHI

No, my jacket is not from the manufacturer in the video. I have contacted the company that makes the jacket Voormi and they will repair it but at an insane cost.

I've google companies that sell zippers and parts but can not find a bottom box that is correct.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I have hauled 53' trailers of card board barrels filled with YKK zippers out of Macon, GA. You can get parts, repair kits or whole zippers on Amazon. Your specific zipper I am not sure if. Good luck to you.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
There is a chain of sewing material stores around here, JOANN Fabrics. I bet that a store like that would have what you need.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
There is a chain of sewing material stores around here, JOANN Fabrics. I bet that a store like that would have what you need.

You would think JOANN's could help but nope. Been in there and talked to a few different employees. Entire zippers yep. Parts not really. A few generic pulls but nothing else.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Can you buy a whole one and disassemble to get the parts you need?

Posts: 15157 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Some manufacturers use zippers that are semi-custom, and you many not be able to find an exact duplicate. (Or, it is out of date.) In which case, you may have to replace the zipper, which might explain why it is expensive.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Some manufacturers use zippers that are semi-custom, and you many not be able to find an exact duplicate. (Or, it is out of date.) In which case, you may have to replace the zipper, which might explain why it is expensive.

This is very relevant to a point. Zipper-track sizes aren't terribly different or, unique however, their components like the slider and pull-tab can very much be unique, along with matching colors.

If you can DIY the repair or, jury-rig something that'll work, good luck. You can try to contact various outdoor gear repair places, they can likely sell you the needed component or, perform the repair:
https://rainypass.com

https://www.yelp.com/biz/narai...and-repairs-berkeley

https://www.ruggedthread.com

http://www.sczgr.com

As for Voormi, they're a small company, their 'warranty dept' is likely one of their prototype/sample sewers who works on the Return for Repair pile once, every two weeks or, when the bigger projects have been dealt with.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I zipped one side into two other jackets that had the same type and size zipper so I know it is just a standard YKK.

I can find the pulls and top stop but not the "bottom box" which stops the slide from coming off.

When I was in JOANN fabrics the lady didn't think you could remove the bottom box from a new zipper without damage or I would have just bought an entire new zipper and used the parts. I may still try this.