SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stickman and other riders, gear question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stickman and other riders, gear question Login/Join 
posted
I'll be getting into riding as I inherited our son's bike. What kind of boots are y'all using? How about pants? Gloves? What do you like or dislike and why? For reference it is an Aprilia RS660. I'm not planning on track days, just protection from idiot drivers. I already purchased an Arai helmet and have a RevIt Tornado 3 jacket, back and chest protectors ordered up. Should I grab the pants to match? Is there something better? Riding jeans? I know nothing beats full leathers but I don't want heat stroke. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
A good pair of armored gloves is the only thing I didn’t see in your list. I wear a Dianese leather jacket and gloves. My boots are Sidi Vertigo. I have riding jeans, but I often just wear my regular jeans. I’m not sure what your riding experience level is, but taking the MSF course is something as important as the gear.

Posts: 2970 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will be taking the course. My riding level is novice, so the course is a must, in my opinion.

Posts: 3667 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
+1 on a Dianese jacket. That is what I wear and I LOVE it. As far as pants I wear some Kevlar lined cargo pants and icon gloves. It is definitely a good idea to wear a chest and back protector that is compatible with your jacket so good move there.

I have a pair of Forma boots and really like them.
These are the Forma boots I went with

That should be a FUN bike. Make sure you post up some pics when you go on a ride. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I wear leather on the Harley. Coat, chaps, boots, gloves. In colder weather, I will wear a leather vest under the coat.
On the Yamaha sport bike, ballistic nylon/kevlar coat with padding and armor, armored pants, hi-top leather sneakers.
I couldn't find boots with sufficient ankle flexibility for riding the sport bike.
I'm in a state with mandatory helmet usage, I buy the best I can afford.
You will likely find that motorcycle riding outerwear is a lot like buying holsters.
Some stuff is great when you try it on and/or initially use it out on the road. Then it isn't. Spend your money wisely!

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1550 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I'd go for whatever fits best for you from any major brand.

I have jackets from AlpineStars and Rev'it. Riding jeans from Rev'it and textile pants from Alpinestars. My boots are also Alpinestars SMX.
All have back protectors and elbow/shoulder/knee/hip pads.

Gloves are tricky for me, and I must try them on in person since lots of times, the finger(s) are too long or too tight.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The jacket needs to be something other than Air Mesh polyester (like a Kevlar based Air mesh material)and they will likely cost quite a bit more.

The poly stuff will not only wear through quickly, the heat generated will create terrible thermal burns, think hot melted plastic, on your skin.

You'll get that money back and much more if you ever go sliding on pavement. I live in an area where recreational riding is common along with the injuries.

I wore the Motoport brand, excellent quality and after I sold my bike I resold the gear for over 3/4 the price I paid (link below for reference).

https://www.motoport.com/produ...ort-air-mesh-jacket/

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'll recommend gauntlets over gloves.
After my first pair of gauntlets wore out I went w/ riding gloves. When you're on a 4 lane highway w/ a hornet up your sleeve repeatedly stinging you, it takes an eternity to get over to the shoulder and fully stop to rip your jacket off.

Posts: 7375 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
ATGATT. All The Gear All The Time. Even if you're just going 1 house down the street and turning around.

Boots: Lots of choices. Be sure they come up at least a few inches above your ankle bones, and have good hard protection of your ankle bones. If your leg gets caught under the bike, even in a zero mph parking lot tip-over, you can get a shattered ankle without good boots. Mine are Sidi brand Gore-Tex and come about halfway up my shins. There are a lot of good brands out there. You don't need motocross style with big shin protectors. Regular hiking boots or work boots just won't be enough protection.

Gloves: A bit like holsters, you're going to end up with a drawer full of them! Note that leather will stretch a bit and conform to your hands, whereas "textile" manmade materials will not stretch, so if you get textile gloves be sure they are not too tight. Be sure there is very good palm protection with TPU or other inserts. I have a couple pairs of AlpineStars which have a leather piece connecting the ring and pinky fingers which they say reduces the chances of a broken pinky. Hard knuckle protection and side of the palm inserts are a good idea. I also have a pair of Rukka that I like a lot, plus a pair of heated gloves which are great for heat but don't have the extra palm sliders.

Pants: I wear either Dragin' Jeans with a Kevlar liner or armored overpants, both with knee and hip protection. The Kevlar lined jeans are nice because they look like jeans for when I don't want to deal with taking off overpants and storing them when I get to my destination. They are warmer than just plain jeans, so in hot humid conditions they aren't the best. The overpants are mesh on the outside, with two liners that can be zipped in. One is just waterproof, the other is insulated. They're a bit like wearing ski pants, meaning they are bulky to walk around it. Great versatility from hot weather touring to winter sub-freezing rides.

Remember that you are invisible. I've had drivers looking right at me, or at least I could see their eyes pointed in my direction, yet they pull out of a parking lot right in front of me. I had a douchenozzle race to turn left in front of me last week.

Which reminds me, look into replacing the little meep-meep horn with something loud.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty good suggestions thus far. Consider a wearable airbag. I have been using one all riding season and so far, I like it. And hope not to use it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16123 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
ATGATT here too.

1 piece suits or 2 piece suits, I use Alpinestars and always have. Consider the Tech Air Airbag or go with the over the jacket Helite (turtle 2). Nothing beats perforated leather in the heat, nothing. My 1 piece A* suit is fully perfed as is my 2 piece A*.

Boots, one brand for 25 years, Sidi. I use the Rex, which is their top of the line racing boot but I have another pair for sport touring that also doubles for when I need to go for a state inspection or something where I’m not getting into a full suit to go down the street.

Gloves, I used Alpinestars for 20 years but got a set of Helds this year and I’m never going back.

Gear for bikes, is more or less like this: What is your brain, limbs, feet, hands, etc, worth to you? Buy the best you can afford. I’ve been down on the street and the track. Good gear, is the difference to being pissed off at having to replace said gear and fix your bike. That vs. the hospital or the morgue. Year round riding you need a number of setups. I use a 1 piece suit for most of the summer (fully perforated) and I have a 2 piece perf jacket, with the leather pants that zip to the jacket, that I use if I’m going to be on the bike all day or several days. 1 piece suits are great for local, but are a PITA on a multi-day trip. Then I have another 2 piece non-perfed fall/spring setup with liners, etc. And finally a full winter setup. That’s my Aerostich Roadcrafter that I’ve used for 20+ years but I have to replace it with Alpinestars setup that is compatible with their airbag. Best advice, is to build your rack of gear slowly. For year round riding it’s going to be a few grand. I put on a bunch of muscle last winter that caused me to go up a size in A* and it’s not a lot of fun buying new stuff. Motorcyclegear.com is your friend. Watch for the sales.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12658 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
You've got email, petr.

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I wear a Klim Marrakesh jacket most days until it gets real cold. Super comfortable and it has held up well. Klim armored jeans and TCX boots.

JC

Posts: 1273 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been out of it for a couple of years. Hope to return in the next year or so. Probably 150,000 miles in Aerostich Darien jacket and pants.
Also generally used the BMW branded zip up boots. All of the above has goretex which is very versatile. Avoid boots with laces as they WILL catch up on foot pegs at the worst possible time.
Get a tinted visor for your helmet if you haven't already.
If you're going to try to extend the riding season get yourself some electric liners top and chaps. Gerbings and Widder used to be the go to brands.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Be sure your jacket is loose. Unlike other jackets like winter coats, you need a pretty loose riding jacket. As soon as you start adding layers underneath you will be pleased for the extra room.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
My riding pants and jackets are more suited for Adventure bikes. I have Klim Badlands pants and a couple of Rukka jackets. One is a summer mesh version and the other is a 4 season Rukka Armaxis Gore-Tex Jacket. Everything has D30 armor. I have SIDI Gore-Tex Winter Road Shoes and Dianese gloves.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the suggestions and information. Which Held gloves and why do you like them?

I know the gear is dependant on how much you value your life/ body and that it will be trail and error until the right gear is found. This is why I asked here. I can now go to the local shops and ask for specific gear to try on instead of making multiple purchases. I will also be able to tell if a salesman is on the right page too.

When I bought the helmet, the salesman was up front about some of the helmets I was interested in. I ultimately chose the Arai for the fit and safety reputation they have. I initially went for an AGV helmet and he steered me away from them as they are not Snell rated. Something I did not know. I snagged the Arai Regent X in the jungle 2 pattern. A little "loud" color wise, but I like the graphics on it. Paint won't save my brain though.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Arai Regent X in the jungle 2 pattern. A little "loud" color wise, but I like the graphics on it.

Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13520 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I have an Arai head as well. My last two helmets have been Schuberth, so I guess I have an Arai/Schuberth head. Shoei helmets don’t fit me well at all.

One thing about riding for me personally. I don’t ride tired or when I’m mentally distracted. If I’m not 100 percent focused on riding I do not ride. There have been many great days where I thought about riding but had a weird feeling that I shouldn’t go out. Maybe I’m a little superstitious, but I listen to that inner voice. I have gone down once in my life and was super fortunate to walk away with a minor scrape and gear that needed replacing. I don’t want to go down again. I hope you get the connection and enjoyment from your son’s motorcycle that you deserve. I’m truly heartbroken as to how/why you inherited it. Feel free to email me if you have any questions that you want to take offline.

Posts: 2970 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
If you think guns can be expensive, get a bike... Smile

I bought a Ducati Panigale V2 in March. I added the Ducati Speed Evo C2 Leather jacket made by Spidi and an Arai Corsair X Ducati Corse Helmet. The dealer gave me 10% off because I bought the bike too. The Leather and Helmet were about $1500.

If you have not addressed the visor on your helmet yet, there is a pinlock insert that is photochromatic. I highly recommend it. Arai does not make a lens that changes. You have to go either smoke, dark smoke, or clear. The Pinlock works great but only gets about as dark as the light smoke. If you want darker, you will have to be changing your lens frequently.

Alpinestar Boots and gloves. I like their gloves for my short fingers.

I have armored Jeans I picked up at Cycle Gear. They are great for the daily riding.

My first track day was last week. Of course, I needed full leathers. I got a good deal on a one piece suit at Cycle Gear. It worked really well. I cant imagine wearing it on the regular though. The jeans and Ducati Jacket are great for the street.

Find some back roads, riding in traffic is not much fun. Drivers dont look out for you and too often have their phone in their hands.

Good luck and stay safe.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post