SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Requesting Recommendation for Car Start Booster: UPDATE, NOCO on Sale Today at WOOT!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Requesting Recommendation for Car Start Booster: UPDATE, NOCO on Sale Today at WOOT! Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
One of my wife's clients left her headlights on yesterday, which prompted my wife to ask me about one of the small starting boosters.

I did a little looking online and I see dozens of these, but I have no way to evaluate and pick a good one.

Do any of you have specific recommendations, preferably based on personal experience?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grabbed this one a while back

DBPOWER 2000A 20800mAh Portable... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D...ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I’ll never carry jumper cables again. It’s compact, holds its charge and works very well. Really easy to give somebody a jump if needed.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Battery Tender as a brand seems to get a lot of up votes. Hope these help:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/4770045254/p/1

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...090002254#8090002254

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...320000034#8320000034

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16228 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Battery Tender as a brand seems to get a lot of up votes.
Looks like those are plug-in (AC powered) trickle charger type things.

I should clarify, my wife is asking about the self-contained booster battery type. Probably a lithium cell, is my guess, that you charge, then carry in glove box or console.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30696 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

I should clarify, my wife is asking about the self-contained booster battery type. Probably a lithium cell, is my guess, that you charge, then carry in glove box or console.

Ah... yeah that's a whole other kettle of fish. Smile

My decade old AC battery charger has 2A and 15A slow / fast charging plus the requisite "start" mode. Guess it colored my thinking.... sorry.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16228 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Noco, good for the price and get awesome reviews. Pickle Rick

Posts: 2877 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Please consider using the karmanator search engine and you will find about three recent threads each having dozens of responses.

Noco gb40

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
Agree with NOCO
I'd wait for a sale.
Usually happen a few times a year

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I have DBPower 800 and 1200.

Has anybody ever tested these things? I've never tested mine and just assume they will work. I'm not really sure how well tested these things are though - for both 6L V8 Truck as well as 3L V6 car.....

Is one really better than the other? In what way? Or are NOCO / DBPower basically the same?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12733 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Here's a portable car battery jump starter comparison from Nov 2019 I found interesting ...

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN8A2nIMUWA

I don't own one nor have experience with one, but after viewing that video, I thought I'd give TOPVISION a try if I had to choose one.

https://www.amazon.com/TOPVISI...id=1595611222&sr=8-3

Posts: 4708 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a Imazing 2500A Peak 20000mAH two years ago. I don't use it a lot but I have jumped a couple cars. I jumped a old diesel generator that hadn't been run in 4 years or so.
Also have used it to charge cell phones a few times. It seems to hold a charge really well, you don't have to check very often.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Here V-Tail

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/3310001174/p/1

Looks like the one I bought is no longer available, the one that MattW listed looks good

Posts: 5334 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My son recently found his Ford Expedition dead while he was in Yellowstone. His little box started his engine a number of times before he recharged it in his cigarette lighter. He’s a believer. I’ve never used mine. I recharge it twice a year.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My wife left the dome light on in her vehicle (Toyota Highlander). It was going to be at least $50 to get a jump, so I decided to try one of those portable jump starters.

I got this one - Audew 1000A Peak Portable Car Jump Starter - from Amazon and it worked like a charm. In fact, even after jumping her vehicle, it still showed about 75% charge.

I keep it under her seat and check the charge every six months. I just price checked: It's $53 at Amazon right now. I think I'm going to get another one and put it in my car.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6417 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I can't tell who made mine, I bought it on sale on Amazon for $50 six years ago. I use it monthly at work to jump start people's cars we come across with dead batteries. It's jump started our Dodge Chargers and Ford PIs with no issues. I get about 5 jumps to a full charge.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I bought two of the Audew ones in the Youtube video above a month or two ago.

I've used one of them once, to jump someone else off. Worked like a charm.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Noco. They work great, and have very good protection against short circuit, hooking up backwards, etc. In fact, the Noco didn't perform quite as well on some tests because of the protection circuit limiting the output. But, if you really need it, you can disable the protection and get everything it has to give--just be careful if you do that.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought a Schumacher at Walmart recently for the boat as the radio got left on for days. I'm impressed! 3.5W 7"T and about 1.5" thick. When I bought it, it had a lot of dust on the box, so I figured I better charge it as it is old. When I got home i unboxed it and turned it on 100% charged it read. Wow!

2 days later my daughters Civic was completely dead, no lights in the dash, nothing. Hooked up for 2 minutes, the car started right up like a full charge.

It's Lithium, has 2 USB ports, so I think I will be very happy with it.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The NOCO line gets very good recommendations, the GB40 model seems to be the best bang for the buck for our needs. I checked prices, they are all over the place:
  • $125 on the NOCO website

• $125 at Batteries Plus

• $99 at Walmart

• $99 on Amazon
Today's email from WOOT! had them at $69, so I ordered a couple, one each for my wife's car and my car. I hope that we will never need them.
By the way, parabellum mentioned that "NOCO" sounded like a Chinese brand.

Nope. As HRK mentioned, it is an American company. The company name is the first to letters of the HMFIC's last name ("Noor") and the first two letters of "Company" or "Corporation."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

posted Hide Post
I have been researching, reviewing etc.. since the last discussion we had on these and I never bought one before I left NC for ND.

I got lucky because I stopped overnight in Fargo and upon arriving to Bismarck I went straight to the Reservation for work. When I got off the afternoon I went out to the car and it was dead. If I was anywhere else on I-94 or at the gas station on 1804 I would have been screwed.

I bought one and had it shipped to the house in Durham.

I am not sure how it will work for ND winters but the other half can use it in Durham

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post