SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why Would A Grand Jury Indict After A Prosecutor Already Brought Charges?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Would A Grand Jury Indict After A Prosecutor Already Brought Charges? Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
I'm involved with a local criminal case where the perpetrator was charged towards the end of 2019 with felony stealing.

Covid threw a monkey wrench into the court system, then the guy never showed up for court. He was arrested sometime later elsewhere, arraigned in the county where this crime took place, and released on his own recognizance. An additional court date was then set.

Now it appears that he has a new arraignment on the docket because he's been indicted by a grand jury for the same crime/same matter.

Does that make sense to anybody?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15733 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
That is generally the way it works here for felonies.

Arrested/charged if taken into custody a probable cause hearing is held within 10 days.

If probable cause is found it is sent to the Grand Jury if they are indicted by the Grand Jury and they are out of custody a new warrant can be issued or a summons to have the arraignment to set future proceedings or plea.

Some cases are direct indictments to the Grand Jury here but the vast majority are charged/arrested and sent to the Grand Jury at a later date.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25452 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grand Juries enjoy ham sandwiches...

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Please correct me if I am wrong!!! What does a it mean when someone is indicted by the "grand jury?? IIRC it means that there is Probable Cause to bring charges against someone by issuing a "true bill" of indictment. If a "no true bill" is issued then no futher prosocution can go forward. This is a tactic used by some DA"s to not charge or go forward with charges either or for against public opinion by saying due to the "grand jury findings' his hands are tied and that is the route he has to follow be it to drop the charges or go forward. . AS far as I see it the "grand jury" can be a tool if not used properly. ....................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2028 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post