SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police and Fire Scanner Help.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police and Fire Scanner Help. Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
I am thinking about getting a Scanner. I can get the local police on my phone via an app. I was listening to a suspect in a house call and SWAT was deployed. Once everyone was in position they went to channel three and I could not find them on any phone app. The channels they use are these. The channel for Channel 3 is .155.130 and 155.490 for channel 4

What scanner should I consider buying and how does one program the channels into them? Maybe one that could also be portable use in a vehicle. One that is not too expensive.

I would like to monitor all the local Police channels, Fire, Sherriff, and California Highway Patrol, possible Coast Guard channels
also.

I know I am asking a lot in a package that is priced affordable.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon has a few offerings for less than $75, this a walkie talkie size scanner for public service bands which will work for the frequencies you listed plus the marine ( coast guard) channels.

Nowadays most police are going with 800mhz which requires a different scanner than vhf/uhf, at a cost of about $150 for just a hand held scanner.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
That channel 3 is likely encrypted and you won’t get it no matter what you do.
Pretty much all of our channels are encrypted. We have a few radio to radio channels that are unencrypted.
But all of our main dispatch channels are not available to the public via scanner any longer.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Uniden Bearcat BC55XLT. Little high price wise, but worth it. The Close Call RF Capture Technology is really nice.

https://www.uniden.com/shop/co...el-handheld-scanner/

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
A Bearcat scanner should be good. They have portable radio type or ones designed to be on a desk or installed in a vehicle. A lot has changed in the last 20 years with frequencies and scanners. Most systems are now using digital trucked systems with many jurisdictions sharing the same system. Setting a scanner up today is a little harder than in the past, but it can be done with some research. When Radio Shack was around, they would program a scanner for you.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once you get your scanner http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/ is a good resource for frequencies. You can search several different ways.

Posts: 882 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Uniden Home Patrol. Plug it in. Turn it on. Type in your zip and you're good to go.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5688 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=230

Should show you the range of freq you need and if anything is trunked that you might want to listen to.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
You may want to check your local laws regarding police frequencies. In KY it’s illegal to have police frequencies programmed in a scanner in your vehicle.

And I agree with Black. The channel they switched to was probably encrypted so bad guys can’t listen in on their operation.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks Everyone

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
They are encrypted and you can not hear them. Especially a channel used for house entries... wouldn't want bad guys hearing the radio traffic.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, the apps often work better than a scanner. Reception on a scanner depends on a lot of factors and for the expense and the fiddling required, for most people internet streaming is a more logical proposition. The other thing is that digital systems are becoming the norm and encryption is gaining popularity. Once they start encrypting, your scanner is worthless.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The frequencies you listed are for the county sheriff. According to what I can see on the FCC database, they have other frequencies other than what is listed on the RadioReference site.

It is entirely likely that encrypted, short distance, frequencies are used by entry teams.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
You may want to check your local laws regarding police frequencies. In KY it’s illegal to have police frequencies programmed in a scanner in your vehicle.

And I agree with Black. The channel they switched to was probably encrypted so bad guys can’t listen in on their operation.

Having police channels on a scanner in a vehicle is illegal in Minnesota too.
In fact, I believe you need a permit or a Ham licence just to have a scanner in your vehicle in MN.
There are several states that have similar laws.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Our radios are encrypted and frequency-hopping. I don't think any scanner can handle the data, but would be interested to learn of one.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
I agree with the others who suggest that the tactical channels are likely encrypted.
When I moved to my present town years ago, I took my old Bearcat 250 and loaded it up with all the local frequencies. It was nice to be able to keep tabs on what was happening in town, especially during storms and such.
A few years ago, the town upgraded to a digital radio system that uses P25 protocols. They encrypted everything from animal control to senior citizens transportation, including the stuff I was interested in - fire, police, public works and rescue. The only things they broadcast in the clear anymore is page out for fire and rescue.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post