SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TPMS position relearn after tire rotation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TPMS position relearn after tire rotation? Login/Join 
Team Apathy
posted
I rotate the tires on my vehicles at home and it dawned on me today that my wife’s 2018 Pacifica has a feature on the dash that gives a readout of each tire pressure. But given that I’ve rotated the tires several times, I don’t know that the readouts are accurate relative to the tire position.

It’s not a huge issue as I check each tire every few weeks and top them up as needed, but now it’s bugging me that the dash readout may not match reality.

Is there a relearn procedure I should be doing after a rotation? I couldn’t find it in the manual in the TPMS section.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My Explorer relearns automatically on the next drive.
GM requires a tool to reset.
Not sure on DCJR products.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really, if you have a tire low then the sensor will transmit from that location and send the data.
The location of the transmission will be what matters.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some GMs you can hold 'reset' when on the TPMS screen on the display & it will start a re-learn. You have to lower the pressure in each tire, then bring it back up in a specific order that I forgot long ago. The horn is the signal & it's a lot of fun when you're crouched next to the front wheels.

Or you can buy a re-learn tool for ~$10 on Amazon.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
Not really, if you have a tire low then the sensor will transmit from that location and send the data.
The location of the transmission will be what matters.

You’re suggesting the system can tell which corner of the vehicle the transmission comes from… which is essentially my question. I’m don’t know if that is true or not.

I searched YouTube and some on Google but did not see results for Chrysler, mainly just for GM. If the system can auto update based on physical location, then great. But assumed it would have to be told which sensor is where.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a relearn procedure I should be doing after a rotation?

Yes and maybe.

The problem with TPMS is there is no standardization with procedures on vehicle manufacturers. On top of that the procedure can change from one year to the next year. Years ago a dealer wanted over $50 to do it on one of my cars. I bought a tool to do one of my Corvettes but only works on one of them. These days I go to a tire shop I do business with They look up year and make on one of the systems for the procedure and so far they have not charged me.

I have 5 vehicles chevy ford toyota every one of them has a different procedure. Mad

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
TPMS position relearn after tire rotation?
It depends; some vehicles do, some don't. I don't know specifically if Chrysler products need it or not. For shits and giggles, maybe you could try letting the air out (or add more air) of a tire temporarily and see if the dash readout matches up. (It will take a few minutes and possibly have to be driven a little bit to catch up.)

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yup. I have to mark the wheels every time I have the tires rotated. Then remark the dashboard accordingly. That's Toyota.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
every vehicle I've worked with had some procedure to make the TPMS know which wheel is which. And every vehicle I've ever worked with had that procedure in the owners manual. You shouldn't have to guess. Now to make life easier for pro tire shops and dealers there are electronics that know how to get this done, but usually that's not cost effective for a single individual. And if its not in the manual I would just head on over to my dealer service center and get them to tell you, but I'm betting its there in some way.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
TPMS position relearn after tire rotation?
It depends; some vehicles do, some don't. I don't know specifically if Chrysler products need it or not. For shits and giggles, maybe you could try letting the air out (or add more air) of a tire temporarily and see if the dash readout matches up. (It will take a few minutes and possibly have to be driven a little bit to catch up.)

Yes, this is my plan to confirm whether or not the current layout is accurate.

I suppose I should check the maintenance section of the manual. Maybe the procedure is there since it wasn’t in the TPMS section.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My 2015 F350 has a relearn procedure detailed in the manual. It involves letting air out of each tire in a specific order until the vehicle’s horn beeps.

I can’t think of a way that the tpms sensors could possibly know what location they are installed at.

A quick search for “Pacifica tpms reset” turned up this for 2008-2020 models:

Link

-Hold TPMS tester on left front tire sidewall next to the valve stem, use TPMS tool to activate the sensor
-Repeat for the right front, right rear and left rear sensors

This is how the vehicle’s computer learns which sensor is installed at each location.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I watched a youtube video a few years ago when I ran into this issue with my Tahoe. I picked up one of these and it worked. Maybe Chrysler has a similar item? Check youtube.

TPMS thingy

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DCJR vehicles typically auto learn while driving after rotation. Keep in mind that TPMS sensors can have a +/- of 3% so don't drive yourself nuts trying to make your dash and your air gauge read exactly the same.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It's amazing that the technology exists for these sensors to relearn automatically on their own, yet some car manufacturers still require a tool or some procedure. Infuriating.

My Jeep simply relearns the tire positions after every rotation automatically without any additional input from me. And I rotate all five tires.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post