SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Worlds largest plane - Anatov AN-225 destroyed
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Worlds largest plane - Anatov AN-225 destroyed Login/Join 
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
Have been on several Russian Heavy's and was not impressed.
I Crewed C-5's and one time Russians came thru Dover, and I arranged a tour thru my C-5 which was parked in hot cargo next to thiers.
They were amazed and told me that it was just a plane made up to impress them, so we went to another which was parked in H/C also and I made believers out of them.
One thing that was on all Russian A/C were 2 bag 50# bags of dog food and no dogs.
As an Aviation Person may AN225 rest in piece (do not think it flew much)

Posts: 2492 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
What was the dog food for?

It is sad if that aircraft were destroyed. It should be in a museum. . .

Of course, people are dying over there, so I need to remind myself to place this event in context.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21914 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by schrack:

As an Aviation Person may AN225 rest in piece (do not think it flew much)

It was in constant use. I parked next to it all over the world.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I never realized there was just the one?

Posts: 21324 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never realized there was just the one?

Correct. Only 1 completed. Construction was started on a second aircraft but it wasn't ever completed.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4572 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of schrack
posted Hide Post
The English speaking person did not have an answer, They lived on the A/C but, had no Dogs. About a month later another one came thru and I saw them loading several bags of Dog Food. No it couldn't be what we are thinking, could it?

Posts: 2492 | Location: Delawhere??????????????? | Registered: June 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
It was in constant use. I parked next to it all over the world.

When I saw it, it had come from Canada to Pittsburgh, and then it departed for (LA?) I believe. I don't believe it will impact my personal supply chain, but the process of transporting very BIG stuff quickly has just changed dramatically.

Posts: 11431 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've read lots of discussion as to if it was really gone, extent of damage, ect.

Not really any fixing this. At least they have some good parts for #2.

Posts: 764 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I don't believe it will impact my personal supply chain, but the process of transporting very BIG stuff quickly has just changed dramatically.

Is it (was it) really that much bigger than the other jumbos out there? I'm not an aviation guy in any sort and I have no real perspective on the big planes. I've never seen a jumbo close up. The biggest I've seen was a C5 Super Galaxy, I think, as it was flying a pattern around the area, I think centered around Stockton for some reason. It passed directly overhead and while it was pretty high, I could still tell it was BIG.

Posts: 6437 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
These may help for size/scale:

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Is it (was it) really that much bigger than the other jumbos out there? I'm not an aviation guy in any sort and I have no real perspective on the big planes. I've never seen a jumbo close up. The biggest I've seen was a C5 Super Galaxy.

Keep in mind, the 747 was Boeing's entry into the Air Force's heavy lift competition, which was won by the C-5; so the planes are more-less similar in size.
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
These may help for size/scale:

Posts: 15030 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xanth:
I've read lots of discussion as to if it was really gone, extent of damage, ect.

Not really any fixing this. At least they have some good parts for #2.

C'mon, that'll buff right out... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post