SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I made heads explode today. (I liked it!)
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
I made heads explode today. (I liked it!) Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
I attend a Baptist Church. I am not a Baptist (never will be). After church we have a men's gathering to sit around and talk about "stuff". Somehow we ended up talking about great/important inventors and entrepreneurs of our time. You know, like Henry Ford, etc.

My turn: JACK DANIEL

Next Sunday, if they let me back in, I'm going to discuss the marvelous works of one JMB.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Report This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO! This is rich! hahahahahahahahahaa

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16236 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Baptist's, they don't smoke, don't swear, and don't recognize each other in the liquor store. Big Grin

Posts: 5742 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Baptists, where they don't allow having sex while standing up.

Apparently that resembles dancing, and we all know how they feel about dancing.
Big Grin

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"...and that leads to beer!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You're evil, just like me. Smile

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
For a short time, I left the Catholic Church and attended a Baptist church with my wife (then fiance) and her family. While I appreciate and attempt to have a virtuous life, I always chuckled at how differently the guys acted at church and how they were against drinking at church, but drank occasionally but were secretive about it. I should mention that I don't drink at all, so I don't have a dog in the fight.

Fast forward a few years, and my wife and I are happily back in the Catholic Church where we belong. When they have social gatherings they serve wine or beer and it's free. My father in law got a big kick out of that. Virtuous men van still have a beer from time to time. Smile

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Report This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
… we ended up talking about great/important inventors and entrepreneurs of our time. You know, like Henry Ford …
You should mention how he was a nazi sympathizer and Hitler kept a picture of him in his office. Big Grin

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Raised as Southern Baptist...After high school (1967) was employed by small family owned cabinet shop which did a lot of custom cabinet work for the local Catholic Church Dioceses at multible churches and rectories (pastor/ priest residences). On one of the 1st time going out on a job site with the shop owner had hardly got inside a rectory upon arrival was totally shocked and blown away when the priest/pastor was asking and offering cold beer or wine to both of us eventhough I was not of legal age yet. This was not a one time event with multible offers over time.... But have been known to have a cold one or a highball once in a while. ..................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I am a Methodist and a non-drinker. I've been told many times that the major difference between Methodists and Episcopalians is that the Episcopalians will recognize each other in a liquor store. (The UMC "Discipline" is against both smoking and drinking.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
It’s worth noting Elijah Craig was a Baptist minister.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Report This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Its a mighty fine line between Saturday night and Sunday morning!

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Know why they don't make love standing up?
Afraid someone will think they are dancing!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I've heard it said that when 4 Baptists gather there is often a fifth Wink

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Recovering Baptist here. There is no formal dogma prohibiting dancing or drinking.

My family has 4 generations of preachers, the last 3 Southern Baptist. I married a S. Baptist preacher’s daughter. I went to a Baptist elementary and jr high school.

I briefly. attended a Baptist college where I took theology classes, until they kicked me out.

I say this to illustrate that I have some exposure to their ways.

As to drinking, dancing etc, there is nothing in their “creed” or “dogma”forbidding it. The convention issued a statement a few years ago voicing opposition to it but it has no authority over members.

My family, preachers included, had no problem with it. They drank and danced.

The Baptists have no creed. No pope, bishop or central authority has authority over any member or church.

A church on one side of town may tend to attract anti alchohol fundamentalists while another may attract a more liberal set. My grandmother once told me she chose the religion because it allows her to choose her own path according to her conscience and “no damn preacher has the authority to dictate dogma.”

The denomination encompasses a wide ranging group with differing views on scripture and beliefs.
That being said, the SBConvention is changing as the fundamentalists attempt to establish control. The denomination seems to be tearing itself apart.

One family member, an uncle, preacher with a theology doctorate left in the 1970s. I last attended church at age 19 (74 now).

Only a few family members of later generations (mine), have continued with the church.

All the baptists I know have no issue with drink, dance etc. And they have no trouble hanging with a non believer.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Report This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I got roped in to cooking BBQ for a Apostolic wedding at the father of the brides beautiful homestead out in the woods. I knew nothing about them but I found out quickly that was no drinking of alcohol on the premises. I've never cooked a all day BBQ without a few or more beers. So my iced down cold beer sat in the cooler while I sweated cooking all day. So I got through it and they paid me very well.

The ceremony was held under a large tent with about 125 people in attendance sitting quietly while the ceremony took place. When the couple were introduced as Mr. and Mrs. so and so everyone remained quietly in their seats while the newly wed couple walked out of the tent. No clapping or cheering allowed. What was strange is nearly all of them smoked. The women were dressed to the nines with many in short skirts and spike heels and knew how to apply make up to achieve that sultry look. Several of them flirted heavily with yours truly taking interest in more than just BBQ apparently.

Religions can be confusing.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8535 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:

As to drinking, dancing etc, there is nothing in their “creed” or “dogma”forbidding it. The convention issued a statement a few years ago voicing opposition to it but it has no authority over members.

My family, preachers included, had no problem with it. They drank and danced.

The Baptists have no creed. No pope, bishop or central authority has authority over any member or church.

A church on one side of town may tend to attract anti alchohol fundamentalists while another may attract a more liberal set. My grandmother once told me she chose the religion because it allows her to choose her own path according to her conscience and “no damn preacher has the authority to dictate dogma.”

The denomination encompasses a wide ranging group with differing views on scripture and beliefs.

This is all undoubtedly true. But you must admit, surely, that Southern Baptists as a whole and for some period of time have a decided slant toward no drinking, no smoking, no card playing, and no dancing, etc.

In other words, they are hardly a bunch of Unitarian Universalists.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There's a very good reason I am an apostate.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34128 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Try talking about the incredible job President Biden is doing. Some suggested areas for focus:

The price for energy (gasoline, electrical)
His getting us out for foreign military interventions
His record in the Supreme Court
Wage grow vs. Price Growth
Rising interest rates
Rising housing costs
Rising cost for a new car
Gun Control

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Try talking about the incredible job President Biden is doing.

WTF? 29k posts since 2006?

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Report This Post