SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Travelling through Chicago
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travelling through Chicago Login/Join 
posted
We are rarely in that neck of the woods but we are going through the Dakotas and down to Kentucky this summer, maybe mid-July. I know Chicago is a madhouse on the news so I thought I'd see if we had any folks in the know for day to day operations. Are we cool to just drive in, go to the field museum for a few hours and drive out? I'd like the kids to see it as we arent usually anywhere close. Might be a silly question.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. I take my grandsons to the museums on a regular basis. But I make sure I'm out of dodge by sundown. The Shedd Aquarium is right there and also worth a stop if you have the time. If you REALLY had some extra time, while not close to those two, The Museum of Science and Industry at 57th and Lake Shore Drive is our favorite. Keep your head on a swivel.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Obviously, you won't be packing heat.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Adler Planetarium is right there also.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you traveling through Iowa on I - 80 ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have any idea of what dates you would be coming through?

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be packing under leosa, i should review all that magic for Chicago. Probably coming through around the 20th or so. I'm not sure which route through Iowa but 80 sounds right. I'm open to alternate highways.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a Chicago native. There are bad neighborhoods, just like Philly and Baltimore. Thousands of people go to work and come home without incident. LSD where you will be is generally pretty safe. Just be aware. Gangbangers shooting each other is the main deal with some carjacking. CPD Sig may have something to offer.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I just spent 4 days on vacation in Chigago. Based on the press I imagined I'd be shot, but it was great. Downtown is a beautiful area. All the museums and stuff to see are in "good neighborhoods" from what I could tell. No issues at all, and I was out pretty late a couple nights and walked around a lot. I was in the Millennium Park area mostly but went to the art institute and the museum of science and industry, both of which were amazing. And took an architecture boat tour. which was amazing. Peaquod's pizza, Lou Malnati's, Giordano's, and Al's Italian Beef are worth the trouble to eat IMO. Good stuff.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
U-505 - the WW2 German Submarine, is on display at the Science and Industry Museum. As I recall you get to walk through it.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've spent a lot of time in the city and it is worse now than when I first started going there. Still, it does have world class museums and it would be a shame to miss the opportunity to see them. If you can extend your trip, I'd advise two or three days to really see them. You won't regret it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man, now you guys are going to talk me into staying the day. I am considering grabbing a hotel which will give us a theoretically safe place to leave our stuff and just taking a day or two to do museums. We'd be back in the hotel and asleep before the sun went down anyways due to the kiddos.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
You could stop by and see the German U Boat...in Chicago.

https://www.msichicago.org/pre...ses/u-505-submarine/

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is hands down my favorite exhibit there and worth every penny to get in. I don't know if you have been there recently but they really upgraded the exhibit. It's a fascinating story. One bathroom for 90 men on a three month deployment and they couldn't flush it. Hot bunking on hay filled mattresses. Their life expectancy wasn't very long. Then there is the part about how we captured it and how they brought it to the MSI. The only concern I would have is if you see a group of Amish kids running around or eyeing you and your car. Then go the other way.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Lou Malnati‘s or Gino’s east pizzerias.

Prefer Lou’s!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Uno's is better than both. But just the one at Ontario and Wabash, not Ohio and Wabash.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Uno's is better than both. But just the one at Ontario and Wabash, not Ohio and Wabash.

Hogwash. Unos is a distant 4th.

Lou‘s grows their tomatoes and makes their own cheese. Razz

I’ll eat my eyetalian beef at hippos over Portillo’s. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Lou's is amazing. Ate there back in 2018 on my last trip to Chicago.

Also some great steak restaurants in Chicago...I ate at Steak 48 on this same trip as was extremely happy. They do seafood very well also.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Steaks … Hugos Frog Bar shares the kitchen with Gibsons. (Michael Jordan‘s restaurant) one of the best ribeyes I ever had along with a terrific New York strip! Long ago …

Had an amazing meal at Charlie Trotter’s chefs table once … Alas he has long since passed.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
Man, now you guys are going to talk me into staying the day. I am considering grabbing a hotel which will give us a theoretically safe place to leave our stuff and just taking a day or two to do museums. We'd be back in the hotel and asleep before the sun went down anyways due to the kiddos.

If you don't plan to get back through there, take the time. Like I said, you won't regret it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38685 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post