SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternate parenting solutions for dealing with electronics-obsessed children
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternate parenting solutions for dealing with electronics-obsessed children Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
When my boy decided that his Xbox One was more important than spending time with his newly adopted sibling (the sibling he begged and pleaded with us to bring into our home, crying when several of them weren't meant to be) I got rid of the Xbox. It wasn't a dramatic thing like this. It it was simply... unplug the unit and inform him it is no longer his. It sold the next day.

Once he got his head back on straight he got another (the same just out of storage).

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Watching the video with subtitles often provides bonus laughs.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
These people behave like addicts. Eek

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39765 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I am surprised the bobcat could toss the Audi around like that, impressive.

As for the rest, they need some counseling, especially mean Santa.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
I was a strict dad, but that guy just lost it and gave his kids a pattern of behavior to replicate. Raising my voice was an indication the I was no longer in control and being in control was my job...

Well said.

I was also, by the modern term, a strict parent. My wife and I worked hard to model appropriate behavior, and provide our kids with thoughtful boundaries, love, respect, opportunities to make choices, and clear expectations.

Television? We all stuck to the same restriction; one hour per day after school. One hour for the kids and one for us (we all learned to make good choices and to negotiate!) No television at all for all of us during the month of July. Horror of horrors, my kids grew up during the early tech boom. They had no personal computer and could not have a cell phone until they were juniors in high school. They have done very well in life in part because they have internalized the concept of delayed gratification.

Perhaps we were odd, but raising our kids was the most rewarding experience of my life.

Silent

Posts: 1027 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post