SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guy shoots female cop in chest during traffic stop
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guy shoots female cop in chest during traffic stop Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Want you guys to know that i respect your opinions and understand your frustration.

I just think people look at situations from different perspectives. Especially ones they are passionate about.

I think as bad as we THINK things are here, we are still far from a sky is falling. I would wager every generation makes the same claim. And yet here we are, i do see many things i wish were different but that doesnt mean im ready to make the types of changes being proposed here.

And its my opinion that in reality neither are any of you.
I mean this sincerely Otto, I truly envy your optimism.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Going back to the incident itself. A few things great things an a few that bothered me.

First, kudos to the officer for being shot in the hands and not only able to return fire, but to keep her head, stay organized, and then resume the pursuit. She also seemed to get some solid hits on the vehicle. He's lucky he didn't catch one in the head.

She did a heck of a job driving with her primarily injured hand. Really, 70+ mph with two injured hands and managing a radio....wow. I wasn't sure why but she seemed to do a lot of maneuvering right before the final stop. That couldn't have felt very good.

It did appear after watching the video several times that when she was unable to chamber a round with her injured hands, she found an alternate solution. She was good up to where she tried to adjust the weapon. Then it appeared she hit the mag release with her trigger finger (while maintaining trigger discipline) and dropped the mag. I'll guess she was likely a little tunnel visioned managing the threat, radio, and her injuries, hence not noticing. She did have one round chambered and the shooter couldn't see the lack of a magazine. Given her injuries I wonder if she would been able to reload the mag in the well or not. Maybe that influenced her decision to leave it.

This is where things get a little hairy. I saw a white unit go shooting by in the lower corner of her camera view about the time she noticed a vehicle at her 6. Never saw where that unit went, maybe that was the Tribal police. Understandably a lot of confusion with potential threats at 180. Again she did seem to control the situation pretty well and managed the other units. Someone else probably should have taken charge given she was injured. Perhaps being a Troop kept her in charge from a routine stand point. She is definitely one tough troop.

Everyone on the scene was incredibly professional considering the incident.

A few things really bothered me.

1) They had an officer shot and bleeding, yet it took a while for anyone to offer her any aid. I don't know when rescue was called but it took a LONG time for them to arrive. I'll guess they must be in a fairly rural area.

2) Once her hands were loosely dressed they just let her wander off by herself. No one bothered to check her for other injuries or simply stay with her. You could see her start to get shocky when she squatted down and her hands started to shake. There were officers standing around, one could have stuck a little closer to her and talked to her to assure she was ok.

3) And it took a LONG time for rescue to get there. Holy cow! It's a good thing she wasn't seriously injured.

4) SUSPECT: He shoots at a female officer several times, then is "Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank you Sir" for everything and completely nonchalant about the entire incident? He acted like he was picked up on a traffic warrant. There is something not right with him. Felt for his mother, she as clearly freaking out. I wasn't sure how he ended up with a federal warrant after shooting a state trooper.

I'm not sure what relative she called, but it was awesome how the officer handled the call back letting that person know she was ok and where he was.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I think most people have no idea how bad crime is right now.

And it’s everywhere. Cities. Small towns. Violent crime follows it.

So long as crime pays, there will be criminals. So long as committing violent crime doesn't result in offenders being penalized, there will be violent outlaws. Excusing violence as "mental illness" denies the fact that most people do have have choices and know the difference between right and wrong....except perhaps many of our "mental health professionals." To these delusional folks, there is no such thing as right and wrong, only bad THINGS committed by good people. Roll Eyes

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10268 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Going back to the incident itself. A few things great things an a few that bothered me.

First, kudos to the officer for being shot in the hands and not only able to return fire, but to keep her head, stay organized, and then resume the pursuit. She also seemed to get some solid hits on the vehicle. He's lucky he didn't catch one in the head.

She did a heck of a job driving with her primarily injured hand. Really, 70+ mph with two injured hands and managing a radio....wow. I wasn't sure why but she seemed to do a lot of maneuvering right before the final stop. That couldn't have felt very good.

It did appear after watching the video several times that when she was unable to chamber a round with her injured hands, she found an alternate solution. She was good up to where she tried to adjust the weapon. Then it appeared she hit the mag release with her trigger finger (while maintaining trigger discipline) and dropped the mag. I'll guess she was likely a little tunnel visioned managing the threat, radio, and her injuries, hence not noticing. She did have one round chambered and the shooter couldn't see the lack of a magazine. Given her injuries I wonder if she would been able to reload the mag in the well or not. Maybe that influenced her decision to leave it.

This is where things get a little hairy. I saw a white unit go shooting by in the lower corner of her camera view about the time she noticed a vehicle at her 6. Never saw where that unit went, maybe that was the Tribal police. Understandably a lot of confusion with potential threats at 180. Again she did seem to control the situation pretty well and managed the other units. Someone else probably should have taken charge given she was injured. Perhaps being a Troop kept her in charge from a routine stand point. She is definitely one tough troop.

Everyone on the scene was incredibly professional considering the incident.

A few things really bothered me.

1) They had an officer shot and bleeding, yet it took a while for anyone to offer her any aid. I don't know when rescue was called but it took a LONG time for them to arrive. I'll guess they must be in a fairly rural area.

2) Once her hands were loosely dressed they just let her wander off by herself. No one bothered to check her for other injuries or simply stay with her. You could see her start to get shocky when she squatted down and her hands started to shake. There were officers standing around, one could have stuck a little closer to her and talked to her to assure she was ok.

3) And it took a LONG time for rescue to get there. Holy cow! It's a good thing she wasn't seriously injured.

4) SUSPECT: He shoots at a female officer several times, then is "Yes Sir, No Sir, Thank you Sir" for everything and completely nonchalant about the entire incident? He acted like he was picked up on a traffic warrant. There is something not right with him. Felt for his mother, she as clearly freaking out. I wasn't sure how he ended up with a federal warrant after shooting a state trooper.

I'm not sure what relative she called, but it was awesome how the officer handled the call back letting that person know she was ok and where he was.

The white emergency vehicle was a unit from the "Laguna" tribal police department. Good to see that they were able to respond so quickly! In rural areas of NM (like other places in this country) backup can be many minutes or even hours away.

I noticed the problems the officer had with the AR and microphone of her radio as well as PA system. All these issues were associated with her injuries and the emotional trauma dumped on her as a result of the near death experience. As a whole, she did a truly outstanding job dealing with all that, and I doubt many (any?) of her male peers would have done any better.

I too was a bit concerned about how the officer was left alone so much and for so long, after having received basic first aid. She should have been checked more closely for injuries that may have been life threatening, but less obvious (like under her body armor), but I'm guessing that the omission occurred because her backup was relieved to see (believe) her injuries were relatively minor/non-life threatening. This kind of immediate (but dangerous) reaction will probably be discussed during a review of the incident by members of her department as well as other organizations.

One of the things that has improved law enforcement over the last forty or fifty years is the proliferation and degree of training that's shared between police agencies after incidents like this. When I started my career in LE in the 1970's, training videos were just becoming popular (vs film) and they included audio recordings from the call for service and radio traffic during the incident. Now, officers have the benefit of actual body/vehicle camera video of the incidents and they're released within days of the occurrence. The time span between what happened and what law enforcement professionals (as well as the public) can learn is sometimes only days. That's a boon to good survival as well as good policing.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10268 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Maybe that influenced her decision to leave it.

I don't think that was a conscious decision. I don't think she knew the mag dropped.

Year V

Posts: 2674 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
If Biden wins... The media will start to run crime / gun violence stories like crazy. They will spin it to appear there is a large increase, an epidemic of gun violence from the Trump era... And only the banning of restriction of guns can stop it

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
The primary reason that help for the officer was somewhat slow to show up is that the original incident was eastbound in the middle of nowhere about 5-10 miles west of a tiny town. The closest populated area with any law enforcement in the direction of the pursuit is Albuquerque---another 40 miles or so farther east.

She did a VERY good job and was very lucky. Hats off, Ma'am.

Posts: 4568 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I wonder if that semi has a souvenir bullet hole in the box.

Posts: 16208 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post