SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The screech owls are back
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The screech owls are back Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
The trees across the way from my condo have housed a family of screechers for years. Regrettably, I have not seen (heard) them in some time, maybe 2-3 seasons. Tonight when I had Rigsby out for a walk, I could hear them calling. A quick blast from the flashlight and I spotted the parents (in separate trees) and the owlets, likely 2, way up in another tree. I'm glad they're back.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
I'm glad for you that they're back, Mike. When I was a kid in Missouri there were lots of screech owls about.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8933 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Are Owls territorial, do the tend to stay in one area?

About a month age we had an Owl in our neighborhood. We have lived here going on 24 years never had one before. Since that one night we heard and saw it we have never heard or seen one again.

We also seam to have a Hawk that comes and goes. He will be here for a few days then disappears for weeks.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never thought that I would miss the Great Horned owls that frequented our back yard.

They would train their young ones here.

Twelve nights of screaming owl kids.

Then the cemetery across the road cut down a giant tree.

Well , that was where the owls lived.
No more owls or owl babies.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
Owls are fantastic birds. All I’ve ever seen or heard around here are Barred owls. Look like a Piper Cub sailing across the back yard.

I enjoy watching the live owl videos on YouTube.

Posts: 3228 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Found a couple of owls did ya? Must've been a real hoot!

... I'll see myself out. Wink

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
We had a Great Horned Owl build a nest overlooking the neighbors patio. They stayed in the area for four or five years.

A lot of birds have disappeared probably due to the West Nile virus.

At one time, I had about eight nesting bluebirds, several Tree Swallows, and several Chickadees. Even a flying squirrel would use a box on occasion if the box was close to a tree.

The last several years, someone has destroyed nine bluebird boxes and even killed the bird in one box. I didn't know it, but it is a Federal offense to destroy a nesting box.
The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service is responsible for administering the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. While the law is not often enforced, penalties are severe – up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $15,000. Equipment used to pursue, hunt or trap can also be seized.

Before the Migratory Bird Treaty Act was passed, hunting of non-game birds was basically unregulated. Stuffed birds adorned hats and some Native birds like Bobolinks and Cedar Waxings were even served in restaurants. Egg collecting was a popular hobby. Ornithologists captured rare birds to add to their collections. When people became concerned about wholesale slaughter of certain species, the Act was passed.

EXCEPTIONS TO THE ACT

House sparrows commonly nest around human homes. Dryer and other vents, attic vent louvers, and crevices, such as around window-mounted air-conditioners, are favorite nest locations. Luckily, the common house sparrow is listed as an exception to the Act, which means it can be removed from around your house.

Exceptions for birds considered non-natives and exotics in the U.S., include:

House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)
Domestic Pigeon or Rock Dove (Columba livia)
Monk parakeet (Myiopsitta monachus – the only parrot that doesn’t nest in cavities)
Eurasian Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis – egg and nest removal without a permit, and hunting), and
for some captive-bred birds like mallards.

If a nest is under construction, that is the best time to remove it. Take precautions when handling the nest yourself, and always wear an adequate face mask and safety glasses! Abandoned nests often contain bird mites, fleas, ticks and other parasites.

https://www.robertreeveslaw.co...removing-bird-nests/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post