SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joy of Joys......Kidney stone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joy of Joys......Kidney stone Login/Join 
posted
Found out yesterday that I have a 6-7cm kidney stone. Looking for some of you that have gone through this for some advise. Thanks!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Been there and done that. Twice. Mine were roughly 15 years apart.
Both involved trips to the ER, getting hit with a shot of morphine, and letting the stones pass in the meantime. Both times, I had about 1 hour's warning via a dull pain in the lower back. That pain would ramp up quickly over the ensuing hour or so. The second time, I detected the pain and knew immediately what was coming, so off the ER I went.
The pain ramps up to excruciating in the beginning, hence the morphine.
The stone(s) passing wasn't painful at all, in my cases. YMMV.
After you have passed them, institute a plan of hydration and stick to it as best you can, every day.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
I hope you mean millimeter!
7cm = 2.76in.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1370 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I used Uva Ursi to get rid of a kidney on two different occasions.

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/...100-capsules/so-1301

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
About a month ago, I was home by myself with the dogs. The wife was on a weekend trip.

The night before, I had a pain in the left back but it wasn't a muscle pain.

I had a face to face online with a doctor who said I should check myself to ER> It turned out to be a kidney stone, less than 3 mm.

It went away that same day after the ER trip. Came back again for a day. Finally got a visit to a urologist who didn't do anything for me but checked if there was any blood in my urine.

The pain came back again a week after that, then, thankfully, hasn't returned since.

Those two days a week apart, i took a pain pill that was given from the ER.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19693 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Been there and done that close to a dozen times since high school. The bouts of pain are absolutely unbearable. I highly suggest seeing a Urologist if you haven't already. Of all the doctors I've seen for a kidney stone my Urologist is the only one (other than ER doctors that order morphine) that understood the pain level and prescribed Percocet to deal with it. What a relief knowing that you have something on hand that will keep you from visiting the ER for pain. I always keep the leftovers close for future bouts. I also experience what felt like urinating broken glass. I was prescribed Uribel to help alleviate that sensation. I've always been able to pass mine...eventually. The last one took several months but if course I wasn't hurting the entire time but I had probably 3 or 4 bouts of severe pain. The last occurred on a Friday and I made the decision to go ahead and have it removed. I was scheduled for the following Wednesday. Over the weekend I watched a video of the procedure which didn't look pleasant. Literally a few minutes later I passed the stone. Guess that video scared it out of me! Of note...I've never experienced a lot of pain passing stones I mostly see them come out. Anyhow good luck and I hope the process isn't near as bad as I've experienced. I drink a lot of cranberry juice during episodes and when I'm "due" for another stone which for me normally occurs every two years or so. Not sure if it actually works but I figure it can't hurt right.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1907 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Drink a lot of beer. It helps with the pain and helps flush to stone out. That’s what the ER doctor told me off the record. For the first one, they pumped me full of saline solution at $250 a bag. For the second one, they had me drink a lot of water. That was over 15 years ago. I do make sure to drink a lot of water every day.

Posts: 10999 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking for some of you that have gone through this for some advise. Thanks!!

I've had several acute episodes include one ER trip & follow up 'lithotripsy'.

Discovered how much otherwise healthy food such as spinach, can influence stone formation.

Read up on the dietary management & perhaps you can minimize further episodes.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Drink a lot of beer. It helps with the pain and helps flush to stone out. That’s what the ER doctor told me off the record. For the first one, they pumped me full of saline solution at $250 a bag. For the second one, they had me drink a lot of water. That was over 15 years ago. I do make sure to drink a lot of water every day.

A good friend of mine got stones every year. I told him to drink a couple of beers a day and the problem might go away.

That was around 20 years ago. He hasn't had one since, but he did put on a little weight from the beer.

It doesn't work for everybody, but it does work for some.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
some advise.

I spent 5 days laying in my tub with the shower running on me passing numerous stones.

I didn't care that the water remained cold...the vibration was all that soothed it. And that wasn't much.

I swore if I ever had to go through it again they will give me something that doesn't even let me remember my own name.

For 3-4 after it passed I was sore throughout my lower back and groin from the constant cramping of my muscles.

I do extremely well with pain, but that shit made me wish I wasn't living.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

A good friend of mine got stones every year. I told him to drink a couple of beers a day and the problem might go away.

That was around 20 years ago. He hasn't had one since, but he did put on a little weight from the beer.

It doesn't work for everybody, but it does work for some.

Completely dependent I believe on whether your stones are calcium or carbonate based. Anyone who has ever had a stone should get the test done. Will help you better avoid them in the future.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Could be many things. If it’s in the kidney and not in the middle of passing yet I’d say drink water heavy and often. If it is passing, drink water plenty and often. Dr can write a prescription for Floras which can help open the path a little better but it is no miracle drug. Oh, and good pain meds. I’ve passed so many that if they don’t have me writhing on the floor, I’ll get out and walk or mow grass and drink tons. For me, all the movement seems to help them come out faster. If that pain is too much to take, it’s been a couple weeks, or you start backing up and get sick from it, go in and let them do lithotripsy to get it out. They have external shockwave lithotripsy to break it up and make it a bunch of smaller pieces to pass or they can do the other lithotripsy where they put you to sleep and run something up your urinary tract to break it up and pull it out during the procedure. I’ve had so many of those procedures it has to be around 50 now. Afterwards, let the Dr analyze the stone and find out it’s composition to determine the best way to treat you. They will ALL say, drink more water. Don’t let your urine turn yellow. Make it clear all the time. I take potassium citrate and it has knocked my stones formation to nearly 1 or 2 every 5 years and even then, small. 7mm is approaching the hard to pass size. When you’re passing them, if you feel it in the lower back on one side, the stone is up high. When you start feeling like you’ve been kicked in the balls non stop, the stone is low and getting closer to dropping into the bladder which means progress. If it isn’t moving fast enough then you may decide to let the DickSmith throw you on the anvil and beat it out of you. It’ll go quicker.

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Just had one. On a Sunday morning while singing in the church choir I got pain in my abdomen. Worried it might be appendicitis one of the other Tenors drove me to the ER. I was white as a sheet and it took them a while to diagnose it as a kidney stone, and they wouldn't give me any pain meds until sure of the cause. They used a gamma ray imager to pin it down. I was given pain meds and a little sieve to catch the stone for later analysis. It was about the size of a caraway seed. Didn't enjoy the experience.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Oh man. I had a 6+mm stone. Got stuck in my ureter (between kidney and bladder).

My GP said there was nothing he could do until it moved. After my ordeal I asked the urologist if I could have just called him and had it broken up. He said "Yep".

Forget what your GP says, go see a Urologist and get that sucker blow'd up using shock wave lithotripsy!

6mm is nothing to sneeze at. Yep, drink water or whatever others are saying. But to wait for it to pass is a mistake based on it's size and my experience - including what I was told after. YMMV.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I had a very small one (2mm, I think) about 10-12 years ago.

Home alone on Super Bowl Sunday, laying on the couch just as the game was going to start when I noticed a little discomfort in my lower left side.
I thought it was just my hernia acting up. A few minutes later WHAM! The worst pain I ever had in my life.
It went away in about a minute, and as I was catching my breath I was thinking WTF was that?
I felt fine for a few minutes and the pain hit again. It didn't stop this time.

My wife got home from work about 15 minutes later. As soon as she was in the house I told her she needed to take me to the ER.
Got there and waited at least an hour in the waiting room, in very bad pain.

The ER was packed, and when they finally saw me they had to park me on a gurney in a hallway.
They started a saline IV and I waited. About an hour later a nurse came to give me some pain meds and I realized the pain had stopped.
Evidently the IV had helped me produce enough urine to flush it out.

They sent me for a CAT Scan and saw the stone. Having such pain from such a small stone, I can't imagine how bad a larger one would be.
Thankfully, I haven't had another since.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16530 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Fun times! I first had them with no warning back when I was in Law School. Had to take a leak, next thing I knew I was on the floor, writhing. So you live and you learn. Couple some of the above advice. Remember, it doesn't hurt the nurses one bit. Even those of us married to them need to keep that in mind. Yes, beer will help flush them, or at least make you laugh at the pain. Beer and Codiene will help more. Its the old formula, beer and pain pills. Ignore them when they tell you one or the other. They're ninnies and I think they enjoy watching you writhe.

Other things. Make a disturbance in the ER. If it hurts, yell. A while back I cut my hand and I clearly needed professional help. So instead of hiding the blood, I just let it drip/run out. I figured I had plenty and cold spare some. When the nurse like figure came out she gasped because there was blood all over the waiting room. I'd been there over an hour with no attention, but as soon as she saw copious amounts of the red stuff, in I went. Nothing pisses you off more than others getting taken right in but you sitting and suffering.

So if you get there and they want to ignore you, its OK. Just scream when you hurt. Trust me, it works. I came upon that solution when the door opened and I saw a cluster of them (as in cluster fuck) joking around a nurses station. At least they could provide them with comfy chairs to ignore patients in. So if you feel you aren't getting the right attention, yell in pain. Sure, it annoys the others being ignored, but it gets you some attention.

Back to the formula. Pills washed down with beer. They'll advise against it, but if they aren't giving you anything strong enough, the brewski adds power to the equation.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
No kidney stones but I had gallstones and it was the worse pain I have ever experienced in my life. Violent vomiting, violent diarrhea and the most extreme abdominal pain you can imagine. That lasted for 4 hours on my worst episode until I fell asleep from exhaustion and I was worn out for days. At the time I had no idea what it was but the ultrasound showed a large gall stone too big to pass. After that I kept anti vomiting and pain killers on hand, Eventually I had my gallbladder removed. Fortunately I have not had kidney stones and I hope I never do.

So back to your topic, a friend has had them all his life and despite drinking massive amounts of water they always come back every few years. Maybe the water drinking will work for you.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My best wishes for you. I’ve had several. I had to quit drinking sweet tea because of them. I have a glass of it maybe once a year now. Also cut out cokes….turns out mine were from calcium oxalate-the dark drinks make it.

After my second one I just go get a 12 pack of beer and pound them back to back until I piss it out. Learned that from a ER doc who was a prior army doc. Much cheaper than morphine or fentanyl and iVs

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you. I've had 3 that were to big to pass removed. The bad part is the stent they leave in you to allow all the grit to pass. 10-14 days of the stent SUCKS. Good pain drugs help, but it still sucks dealing with the whole process. Gotta drink more water. I also gave up caffeine and watch the amount of foods I eat with lots of oxalates.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi there, my name is ARman. I piss gravel. I'm what is called a super producer. I'm less then 5% of the worlds population in my making kidney stones. I'm always make, passing, and sometimes getting kidney stones busted up. I'm susceptible of four of the five types of kidney stones. So far nothing has worked.

Lots of water will help pass them, and reduce your risk of getting them. The more you pee, the better you are.

I have something like two to six episodes per year, with at least two stones each time for the last 20+ years.

Good luck.

ARman

Posts: 3156 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post