SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dash cams.. Info please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dash cams.. Info please Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Looking for one for my wife's car, maybe mine too. Looking for something easy to use, we are not techie people.

Recommendation?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I've been rear ended 3 times and side swiped once in the last three months. Two different vehicles and my dash cams caught none of this. They did at least show I was driving appropriately when hit.

Also, due to the long hood and height of my truck relative to regular cars, the dash cam in it doesn't get license plates all that well.

I'd look at front and rear cameras. My dash cams are two years old now and there's newer models out I have no experience with. I have a Street Guardian in my Focus ST and a Viofo 119S in my F350.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Blackboxmycar.
I have Thinkware for my Tacoma- front and rear.
Rio for Prius.
Check out website. Very informative.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Second nod for Blackbox my car. I’ve given them a fair amount of business. Thinkware and Blackvue are the two best IMO. I’ve had good luck with both.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7077 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Front and rear needed IMO.

I put the Viofo 129 in the wife's car. Hardwired, after reading previous advice on the forum here. It is set to run even with the car is parked... it monitors the car battery voltage and if the voltage drops enough to endanger starting the car it shuts it self off. With a big healthy battery in her car I don't think it ever shuts off.

Just last week as she was picking up a grandkid at school another kid ran up to him unprevoked and punched him right in the side of the head! He wasn't hurt, just kid play it seems, but I wanted to see if it was caught on the dash cam as my wife said it it happened right in front of her. It didn't... she had driven the truck that day instead of her car Roll Eyes

I guess I need to buy a couple more!

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Street Guardian. Get it off amazon. I’ve been very happy.

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My Garmin DriveAssist 50 has been flawless.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
For ease of use the Garmin dashcams are hard to beat.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Street Guardian fan here.

Posts: 466 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I ended up with Thinkware in my work trucks. Aside from video quality, I was also looking for a few specific features. I'm sure others do it as well, but I can transfer video to my Iphone in seconds. This allows me to save it separate from the camera, e-mail it, etc.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15862 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have the Viofo A129 GPS Dual Lens Dash Cam. It's the #1 recommended budget dual camera on DashCamTalk.

One of the reasons that I upgraded to a unit with both front and rear cameras (previously had a StreetGuardian front only camera) was to increase the chance of recording someone sideswiping me (other is to record someone rear ending me).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Viofo here as well. Mine are older so don't have front/rear coverage.

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Street Guardian. Get it off amazon. I’ve been very happy.

https://dashboardcamerareviews.com/

+1 for Street Guardian.

It's not the cheapest dash cam around, but I've had several now and it is, by far, the best.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Another vote for BlackBoxMyCar

Been using Blackvue dual camera dashcams for about 10 years with good results. I have an extra bettery backup installed so mine will run 48 hours after you turn the key off without tapping the car battery. Keeps recording when I am parked.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
I just helped my buddy set one up in his car. He bought a Nextbase 522 from Bestbuy. We set it up on the temporary mount and wiring just to get a feel for it. It worked fine. It shoots one minute incremental videos until it fills the SD card. It then overwrites the oldest files. It synced with his iPhone and will also work with Alexa but we couldn’t get that set up correctly. It has a few other features but I’m not sure how it compares to some of the others mentioned here. The video looks good when played back on his MacBook. ETA: It supports an optional plug in rear facing camera.

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a few models over the last few years. I finally decided I really wanted to have a dual camera setup front and rear but not the rear that looked into the interior but rear out the back - and have been using the Rexing V1P Front and Rear and am loving it. The app works like a champ and you can even connect and see the camera from the app real time. Its wide angle as well for the front so I had to move it away from the bulky rear view mirror mount in the Grand Cherokee but other than that its working well. The rear view camera has an excellent picture in the day but night time unless its pretty well lit doesn't pick up much (and I'm okay with that based on where I drive)

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiwimon:
I've had a few models over the last few years. I finally decided I really wanted to have a dual camera setup front and rear but not the rear that looked into the interior but rear out the back - and have been using the Rexing V1P Front and Rear and am loving it. The app works like a champ and you can even connect and see the camera from the app real time. Its wide angle as well for the front so I had to move it away from the bulky rear view mirror mount in the Grand Cherokee but other than that its working well. The rear view camera has an excellent picture in the day but night time unless its pretty well lit doesn't pick up much (and I'm okay with that based on where I drive)

Just goes to show you... I loved my Rexing V1 too... until it failed. Then I loved the replacement unit they sent me.... until it failed. Then I loved the second replacement unit they sent me... until it failed.

They were very friendly and responsive - great customer service each time, and just as quick (although disappointed) to refund my original purchase price when I told them I wasn't interested in trying a 3rd replacement unit.

That's when I bought my Street Guardian (for 3x the price) and haven't looked back.

YMMV.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16317 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by tiwimon:

Just goes to show you... I loved my Rexing V1 too... until it failed. Then I loved the replacement unit they sent me.... until it failed. Then I loved the second replacement unit they sent me... until it failed.

They were very friendly and responsive - great customer service each time, and just as quick (although disappointed) to refund my original purchase price when I told them I wasn't interested in trying a 3rd replacement unit.

That's when I bought my Street Guardian (for 3x the price) and haven't looked back.

YMMV.

-Rob

Yikes! I sure hope that doesn't happen to me as I just bought another one recently for wife's car. Hopefully, your two were just back to back bad luck cause I really do like these. Besides it has a good rating on amazon right now and that is the only real measure these days for a purchase, right?! Razz

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I have a Rexing V1 on my truck, have it set up to come on and go off with the ignition. Easy install, and so far has been dead reliable. I would buy another one if doing it over.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Tagged.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7517 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post