SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Idaho eclipse-alypse
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho eclipse-alypse Login/Join 
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I heard of a farmer in Madras Oregon who sold 3000 camping spots for 1000 each.

Wow, 3 million dollars for no cost to him except the cost of cleaning up the mess they'll leave behind. That's impressive if true.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:

My neighbor paid $100 for his own 10x10 piece of land in some guys yard. But it includes a brunch, so, it's all good.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I got me a pretty nice spot picked out on my back deck. Not in the path of totality but close enough for my interests.

I do hope it is a sunny day. No need to shit on everyone else's fun just because it isn't your thing. For every one person packing up and driving there are probably ten or more families chilling at home with the kids hoping to show them a pretty rare celestial event.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Good for him!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone from Utah thinking of heading up to Idaho to view the Eclipse? Consider this:

IDOT is expecting about 300,000 to 500,000 people to try and drive south towards Utah as soon as the eclipse is over (some Utahns and others heading to the airport to fly back to their homes).

There are estimates that gas stations in the region will run out of gas and the tankers won’t be able to get through to fill their tanks back up for possibly days. Locals are being encouraged to make sure their cars are topped off before Friday and to avoid all unnecessary driving.

People will idle their cars in traffic to keep the air conditioning going and then they will run out of gas, making the traffic jam worse.

Others will have full bladders and need to tend to nature’s call. There are porta potties all along the freeway, but eventually, they will need servicing. The pump truck will not be able to make it through the traffic, so the porta potties will become unusable. You may want to bring along a “Plan B” method of addressing this situation.

Restaurants are ordering up to 10 times the amount of food they normally keep on hand, but some feel that may not be enough to handle the hungry crowds, so you may not be able to get a Big Mac on your southbound drive. Make sure you have several days worth of food in your vehicle in case you have an unexpected camping trip on the way home.

Locals are being encouraged to purchase several week’s worth of food this week as grocery stores may be picked clean by the out-of-state visitors.

Cell phone providers are bringing in portable towers to cope with the additional cell phones in the area, but it is anticipated that the networks will be totally saturated and cell phones will become almost unusable; especially data. Make sure you have physical maps in case your phone can’t reach the Internet.

ATM machines only hold so much money. Make sure you bring along plenty of cash for your purchases. Don’t count on your card working as retailers are expecting the card network will be overwhelmed and go down. .

I wonder if we explained.....

it'll be on TV.... from somewhere without cloud cover, for your viewing pleasure snacks-in-hand, DVR ready,.....would there then be a run on new TV's? .. will there be brownouts from everyone turning on the TV's to watch, and all the septic systems will overflow when the event is over and everyone runs to the bathroom at same time...GEEZ!

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
for your viewing pleasure snacks-in-hand, DVR ready,.....would there then be a run on new TV's? .. will there be brownouts from everyone turning on the TV's to watch,

...just as totality approaches & Baileys Beads begin to appear....

...."but first this word from Our Sponsors".....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
I hope there's some wind blowing, the past few days the sun has been red from smoke originating from Canada's wild fires.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have a first cousin with a big open farm in the northwest corner of Missouri (on the upper edge of totality), and I'd love to give him a visit to view the eclipse. However, it's a 3-day drive from Dallas, Texas to his farm and I'm scheduled to make that trip just 2 weeks later for other purposes so don't want to do it again. (Exigencies prevent me from just combining the events involved.)

I will be watching it on the TV.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I really think/hope this turns out to be another Y2K scenario....
Hey--don't discount the Y2K situation. The potential situation was very real, and the only reason bad stuff didn't happen is that thousands (millions?) of folks worked for several years to fix what was wrong in the software. Just because the country didn't grind to a halt is not a reason to think Y2K was over hyped--it was a definite problem with possible very dire consequences. Fortunately, enough attention (and hype) was applied to it that the problems were addressed (successfully).

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Bad news. The eclipse was cancelled in Wyoming.

Sorry
OK, just how does Wyoming "cancel" a solar eclipse? Is it something like when one of the Southern states decreed that Pi would be exactly 3.0000... (and all the wheels changed into hexagons)?

flashguy

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
These are actual, serious social media posts:

"Most kids go back to school that day. Can it be done on the weekend?"

"The sun is so bright during this time of the day. Can we please do this during the evening hours instead?"

"Does anyone know if there's a rain date?"

"I work during the day, could you re-schedule it for the evening maybe around tenish?"

"I live on the other side of earth, does that make it a moonar eclipse for me?"

"Please reschedule. My cat's quinceañera is that day." (Quinceañera is the celebration of a girl's fifteenth birthday.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16357 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neel:
I hope there's some wind blowing, the past few days the sun has been red from smoke originating from Canada's wild fires.

Effing Canucks

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My SIL and her daughter are flying to KY for this. Living in UT, you could easily just drive to WY or ID. Apparently, my niece rented a spot 8 years ago in KY because Hopkinsville was where the aliens were the last time in 1955. Roll Eyes

I said, "Yep, the aliens have FTL ability, but they're no match for a few rednecks with a wash tub full of Pabst Blue Ribbon and a couple of Remington 870's. Probably thought they'd better wait for the next eclipse."

However, now that I think about it, with FLT travel, they could've just taken a little jaunt into space to reload and then right back again. With relativity and all, it might be the same fight for the little green men. Hmmmm....

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I'll stay put and take my 62%. That was a passing grade when I was in school.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I am in Utah and planning to go.
I was hoping to camp in an obscure mountain location to avoid any crowds. I am from Idaho, so I am comfortable poking around the wilderness areas.

We'll see!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
We're getting about 2 min of totality, so I'll put in a half day and come home. If it's cloudy there's TV and it'll still get darker. And I'll be home when all the idiots hit the roads to go back where they came from.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
Our house is in the path of totality as it was for the total eclipse in 1979. Back then, I was driving down the street and pulled over for a minute or so. There was no 24 hour news media hype or internet back then, so no crowds.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I plan to watch from my patio. Really surprised we haven't had anyone ask to come stay with us. I keep hearing estimates of upwards of 250k visitors to the county.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
I live about 90 miles south of the dead-center line of totality.

We'll have three adult daughters, a SIL, and a couple of granddaughters arriving mid-week.

We plan to drive north to Rigby (on the center line of the path of totality) early Monday morning, hang around for the event, then filter home in however long it takes to cover those 90 miles, over 60 of them on I-15.

As to all of you who'd rather watch it on TV: guess you never go to a live game, or a live concert? Why would you stay home when it's so close, so rare, so unique? My young granddaughters will remember this for all their lives! Get out there and live a little!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
These are actual, serious social media posts:

"Most kids go back to school that day. Can it be done on the weekend?"

"The sun is so bright during this time of the day. Can we please do this during the evening hours instead?"

"Does anyone know if there's a rain date?"

"I work during the day, could you re-schedule it for the evening maybe around tenish?"

"I live on the other side of earth, does that make it a moonar eclipse for me?"

"Please reschedule. My cat's quinceañera is that day." (Quinceañera is the celebration of a girl's fifteenth birthday.)
Gives one a good impression (confirmation) of the poor quality of education these days. Such ignorance is simply abysmal. No one today should be that uninformed. No one should be that incapable of clear thinking. (No one that stupid should have survived infancy.)

flashguy