SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Outdoor Rotisserie Users Here?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Outdoor Rotisserie Users Here? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Been wanting a rotisserie for awhile. I just like cooking outdoors in the summer and always looking for other avenues to do it. I have my wood fired smoker, dutch ovens, a 36" griddle and a Weber charcoal grill so it's not like I need a rotisserie it's a want. They have ones that go on top of a Weber kettle but I'd really like one for a open fire pit.

Here's my problem. I don't like poking holes in meat especially before cooking. I have never once injected a piece of meat prior to cooking. I don't even temp probe anything until I know it's close to being done. I watched a You Tube video of that uber popular Sam The Cooking Guy prep a 6lb. prime rib for a rotisserie. He shoved a 5/8" rod through the middle of that beautiful and expensive prime rib roast. And then a four pronged fork was jammed into each end to secure it to the rod. Damn that was hard to watch! Eek But damn food sure does look good that comes off a rotisserie!

I'd be interested to hear hands on experiences from some of the outdoor cook guys here and what they are using? I've seen baskets that go on the spit rod but I don't think the are made for whole chickens or roasts.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Here's a rotisserie basket that says it's for chickens, so it would hold a pretty good size prime rib.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I use the rotisserie on my Weber Grill center frequently for Roasts and chicken.
I have never thought I was losing any moisture from the perforations to the meat.

Posts: 4635 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Hey Lastman, I don't have any good advise for you. I am however planning to add a rotisserie to my new Santa Maria grill this spring.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Hey Lastman, I don't have any good advise for you. I am however planning to add a rotisserie to my new Santa Maria grill this spring.

Santa Maria's are nice. I had a trailer mounted one for four years or so and then sold it. So I got that out of my system. Smile I'm also considering just upping my dutch oven game. You can do so much with dutch ovens and a fire. I've done some dutch oven cooking but have just barely scratched the surface. I'm just so ocd about mangling the meat to get it on a rotisserie spit rod I think I'd have buyers regret investing money in a good open fire set up and wouldn't use it enough. Frown

My ocd came from my Dad slapping me in the back of the head when he seen me turning a steak with a fork on the grill! Don't poke holes in that damn steak!! Big Grin

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
looks like a decent option, read good things about the Napoleon basket as well...

https://www.bbqguys.com/napole...e-grill-basket-64000

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
I picked on up for the KJ last fall and the results have been outstanding so far. I also have a wireless temp probe in there too.

After resting:

I wonder if an open pit would lose some moisture?

ETA: lastmanstanding - just ignore that big ol fork poking holes in the roast Big Grin

Posts: 1805 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ You are killing me with those pictures in a good and bad way! Looks incredibly delicious but all that hardware sticking in that beautiful roast drives me nuts!! Eek

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
There is no issue poking holes in cold meat before cooking. The issue is poking holes in hot meat that has contracted Poking holes in hot meat leads to juices squeezing out.

ETA: I rarely use my rotisserie on my gas grill. It’s a pain to set up and to clean.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12445 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
all that hardware sticking in that beautiful roast drives me nuts!! Eek

Other than the probe, I probably didn't need to stick the rotisserie ends in so deep.

I've been waiting for Costo's price to come back down on prime rib roasts. That one pictured above was probably the best I've had and I think I can improve upon it a bit by taking it off a little earlier. I was expecting leftovers, but my dang relatives polished the whole thing off.

Posts: 1805 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Yes, my gas Weber has a rotisserie, just like the last gas Weber I had.

I do ribs, chicken and roasts (prime rib) on it.

Money well spent.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Weber charcoal kettle rotisserie ring, and love it for chicken, turkey, pichana, and a few other things. There's something about fatty cuts constantly basting themselves!

I've only used it once or twice for prime rib, and it irked me, because of possibly introducing baddies into the middle of meat that wasn't going to ever get anywhere near 140 in the middle. I guess if I wanted, I could kitchen torch the spots on the meat that the rod/forks go thru, to "sanitize" those areas before piercing!

I think they're worth the price of admission, and if mine ever fails, I'll replace it. For reference, I'm a meat/food geek thru and thru - kettles, gassers, stick burner, Blackstone, drums, and a huge stainless cabinet build pending. Not your average weekend warrior - same vibe I get from your cooking posts!

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
I've made this a few times on my Napoleon grill, the balsamic vinegar glaze is really good.
I cook it with a tray of potatoes, mushrooms and carrots under it.

https://youtu.be/iwrYThQ2rtI

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I was always intrigued by Santa Maria grills and I love to do whole bone-in standing rib roasts. Once I watched this video I knew I had to get a Santa Maria grill. Hopefully mine will be here in April.

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1736 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Any idea if the Joetisserie will fit on BGE as well?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12436 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will love that Santa Maria Xantom. I used mine to do 80lbs. of chicken wings for a high school grad party once. Yes 80lbs. Eek There were nearly 300 people there and the grad was the star quarterback for the HS team so the entire school pretty much showed up. And you know how teenagers can eat! Any how all I can tell you from that experience is if anyone ever asks you to grill 80lbs. of chicken wings just run like hell!!

This is the unit I had at the time.

But we digress. As has been posted here there are baskets out there that will hold a chicken or a smaller roast with out having to do all the piercing of the meat. But the prime ribs and chickens I do in my stick burner are hard to improve on. I do this all the time where I get a itch that needs to be scratched and I talk myself in and out of things then eventually wind up buying something. Gee kind of like guns, knives and flashlights! Big Grin

teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have one for my Weber and use it for chickens and pheasants. I brine the pheasants, marinate and baste with Italian dressing.

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, well, well after mucho Duck Duck Going I may have found my answer. Made in Minnesota none the less although it does say the motor is imported.
I figure I could buy this and either source the stand online or have something fabricated.

Link

ETA: I see they haven't posted on their FB page in almost two years. Maybe not around anymore. No phone contact listed just messaging. Don't have a FB account so I can't do that. Sent them a note through their www site.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lastmanstanding,