SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Night time observation: Night vision or thermal?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night time observation: Night vision or thermal? Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted
If I just want to find and observe critters, people and things at night,
What kind of monocular or binocular devices are best?

We have visiting squirrels, opossums, cottontails, armadillos, foxes, owls,, red tail hawks, bats, whitetail deer, coyotes, gopher tortoises, gators, bobcats, burglars, etc.

This is within 20 - 150 yards, just in my neighborhood.

Night vision versus thermal: I know each technology has its pros and cons but I'm interested in what you all have found useful.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15909 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I take it by "Night Vision" you mean Infrared?
With that technology you need a light source to illuminate your objects.
With Thermal the heat of the object itself is what is seen.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
There's three types of NV.

Amplification tube

Digital IR

Thermal

Amplification is traditional NV that uses available light and amplifies it through a tube. It has a life span and then goes bad. This is where you see the Gen 1, 2 or 3 designation.

Digital IR is very cheap, but requires a light to illuminate the subject with only the field of view where the light illuminates.

Thermal does not use an amplification tube and has no life span to worry about or need an illuminator. It is light years superior to both.

I tried digital, but the requirements for an illumination source and critters can hide in the shadows led me to purchase a thermal.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34140 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have no experience with thermal ... but a fair amount w/ Army hardware specifically PVS-7s

quality (ie 3rd Gen) NV is great for seeing / general observation / performing tasks like flying / driving / etc. it's a skill you can learn like anything else. depth perception and eye strain are factors --- an infantry unit well-trained with NV suffers very little degradation of mission capability in the darkness. they can keep going pretty much full speed regardless of day / night

But a NV limitation is finding things that are hidden. that is where thermal obviously is going to have an advantage. if I'm camo'd up and hunkered down quiet and immobile -- and you have NV on -- you may not see me. but with thermal you definitely will.

head / helmet-mounted NV plus a rifle with a zeroed IR laser is an awesome combo.

really depends what you want to do with it.

an example might be -- a pilot would want NV to fly the helicopter ... but once he got to the target area and he wanted to locate / destroy enemy targets -- switching to thermal would be the ideal choice

the correct answer is 'Get Both'. Cool

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I’m deciding on getting a clip on thermal for my PVS14. That would be the best of both worlds. Modern night vision is really quite impressive, even a “budget” tube like I got.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have good night vision goggles, but I think thermal is probably better. I say that because I have never used thermal, but in theory it is better.

If someone hides in the bushes, you may not see them with normal night vision even using an high power IR illumination. My night vision goggles have their own IR illumination, but I also have a Surefire Vampire flashlight that has a IR option.

Thermal should show someone hiding in the bushes.Thermal is very expensive which is why I have not got it yet.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8669 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Here's 100 yards out with my $1500 ATN thermal in perfect conditions.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHhLwMl-hxo

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34140 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
100+ yards in humid conditions that require regular NUKing of the sensor tables.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvY0HCH9XE

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Thermal would definitely be better for shooting stuff. For just general observation Id prefer NV, ideally a Gen 3 goggle but now we are into the $8-$9k range.

A decent Gen2+ monocular can be had for under $3k and a military quality PVS14 for ~$3200-$3500

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
What kind of budget do you have??

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do any of those gizmos work through glass ?
Like a car window or patio door ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
What kind of budget do you have??

<$1500.00

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15909 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I got in to the ATN nite vision thirty years back.
The draw back is the Bloom in trees Work well for coyote work across fields and tree lines.
It would still bloom in large weeds in the field.
Started with a gen two,piece of crap ,went with the atn 7900 and it was gen 3. Great equipment for the time.
Had a friend who had money went with a gen 5.
That made mine look like a toy.
The I R made it work in total darkness at a reduced range.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the SIONYX Aurora.

Posts: 9981 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the Leupolds. But the price has put me in pause mode.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post