SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another interaction with my daughter.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another interaction with my daughter. Login/Join 
posted
Last week I praised my daughter here for being a blessing while Mom was out of town.
So this week, our senses of humor kind of clashed. Daughter sends me a video of her classmates dancing to a Katy Perry song that was played over the intercom for teacher appreciation week. She says in the text. "Public School, Am I right?"
So I jokingly respond: "Katy before Calculus!"
She responds: "Stop it Dad! Why do you have to be negative?"

Honestly, our sense of humor just missed each other by a mile.

I'm going to hang back for a bit and respond with emojis instead of words.

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't get the joke either, so . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I don't get the joke either, so . . .

There's a whole genre called "Dad Jokes" for a reason. I'm no Dave Chappelle.

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
My response to her rebuke would have been something like, “Do I have to come down there in your mom’s robe?” With a devil and rofl emojis.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^ LoL

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Having two adult daughters ... I understood your joke and have gotten the same reaction.

Found joking with my daughters ends up about 50/50 hot and cold. But in the end, all is well and part of the experience.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Step daughter shared her recently taken senior pictures. Her mother replied “those are cute”. I replied “who’s that? They are smiling…..”. Didn’t go over well lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I got it, but, I'm old

My sense of humor is a bit off-kilter, anyway, so I don't even try to joke with young people.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When does a joke become a dad joke?

When it becomes apparent.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My daughter is 15 and my sons are 16 and 12. I don't get why "Katy before Calculus" is funny or negative. Frown

Posts: 10940 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Sorry. I'm old, too, and have no daughters. I didn't get either joke.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Could it be possible that the OP meant: listen to Katy before going to calculus class, or "music before math", or rock on, sweetie? just light hearted comment to connect with said daughter?

But to the OP, keep in mind that if you are going to do comedy you have to take chances. Smile

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have learned to follow my joking with either an LOL or an Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I am semi-old and got your joke. I figured she was dissing the fact a public school was wasting time playing Katy Perry music and dancing. Your reply to me seemed to support her statement by saying they are doing Katy before actually teaching. So dunno how there was some translation lost.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You didn't get penetration
even with the elephant gun.
Picture of cheeze
posted Hide Post
Women don’t always respond to humor like you respond to humor. Sometimes they only laugh when they like you, can have personal gain from keeping you happy, or are attracted to you. Sometimes they also know exactly when you’re joking and respond with things like “don’t be negative” specifically to make you feel foolish.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Posts: 2246 | Location: AZ | Registered: January 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cheeze:
Women don’t always respond to humor like you respond to humor. Sometimes they only laugh when they like you, can have personal gain from keeping you happy, or are attracted to you. Sometimes they also know exactly when you’re joking and respond with things like “don’t be negative” specifically to make you feel foolish.

Huh? This is his little girl we’re talking about. Could get the same attitude from a teenage son..

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
When does a joke become a dad joke?

When it becomes apparent.

he will be here all week folks!

try the Veal,, tip your Waitress!

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I got it, but, I'm old

My sense of humor is a bit off-kilter, anyway, so I don't even try to joke with young people.

I'm old also but I didn't get it.

Still don't.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post