SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is adopting a female puppy with an existing young female dog a good or bad idea?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is adopting a female puppy with an existing young female dog a good or bad idea? Login/Join 
posted
We are considering applying to adopt a female BT and I need some advice whether it’s a good idea or not. After losing our female boxer, Gracie, last weekend we have three dogs now. A 2.5 year old female boston terrier/english bulldog mix, a 2 year old male english bulldog, and an 11 month old male boxer.

I’m not terribly concerned about either of the two males, neither of them are very dominant. Zoey isn’t exactly dominant but you can tell she wears the pants in the family now as far as the dogs are concerned. She tells the boxer puppy off every once in a while if he gets too rough or steps on her. But she’s never met another dog she doesn’t like.

I’m told the female BT (6 months old) isn’t dominant or submissive....but rather go with the flow. So I’m not exactly worried about her so much...but rather Zoey. I don’t want her to think that we can’t love them both...and of course I don’t want to run into any issues that can happen between two females that are kind of around the same age.

So should we apply to adopt or no?

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
We've adopted young and old female Border Collies into our mix over the years. They usually figure things out and mostly it is pretty calm. We have a variety pack of 8 right now that all get along fine 4 girls and 4 boys. My big Rottie/ Burmese Mtn dog does not get along with any of them but he is my big buddy since I lost my dear Benji girl last Monday .
I'd say adopt! Puppies usually love having older roll models.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with NFrame - adopting shouldn’t be a problem and the younger will learn, by some observation, from the older dogs. They all just need to know and see that you are, and always will be, the Alpha male.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
If you’re being told she’ll go with the flow, then I agree with the others.
I have 4, 2 and 2, and it’s pretty easy peesy. Occasional argument, but no different than any other family.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
You’re the boss. If the new one or the ones you already have try to assert their dominance you step in and correct them to put them in their place.

I had a female GSD already and brought a female pit into the fold.
Within about 10 minutes of bringing the pit home my GSD went for her. I snatched her up and put her on her back. I told the GSD the new pup was good and petted the new pup and gave her a treat. The next morning the GSD went for her again. Did the same to the GSD with a bit more force. They were best buds from then on out with no further issues.
I sure do miss those girls.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. Might run into this somewhat this summer. We have a 10 year old female pit bull and 4 year old female poodle/maltese/shih tzu mix. Wife's cousin is looking to gift us a male American bully puppy.

Posts: 13128 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They will figure it out, even quicker with your help. Make sure she is spayed first too.

Posts: 9523 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC Boston Bull Terrier is the first all American bred dog. We just acquired a 3 month old female Boston Terrier puppy. Hoped to be a playmate for our 2 year old high energy beagle/terrier/other mix spayed female.

First a lot of jealousy from the older dog. Growling, teeth bearing etc. We make sure to give the older dog lots of attention and assure her she is the main bitch.

After about 3 weeks she came around and now the two play vigourously and nap together. They are becoming inseparable. We continually treat the older dog with alpha status.

Boston’s are great dogs. Think long legged quick terrier with powerful bulldog head and jaws. Laid back, great with kids but protective of family.

Originally in the 1800s bred as pit fighters around 40#.

Now much smaller and very docile but protective. Protective of babies and small children. Brave. Very affectionate

My paternal side of the family has had them as family dogs for over 100 years.

Current generation of cousins have them as did uncles, aunts, grand and great grandparents.

Enjoy your Boston.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
You’re the boss. If the new one or the ones you already have try to assert their dominance you step in and correct them to put them in their place.

I had a female GSD already and brought a female pit into the fold.
Within about 10 minutes of bringing the pit home my GSD went for her. I snatched her up and put her on her back. I told the GSD the new pup was good and petted the new pup and gave her a treat. The next morning the GSD went for her again. Did the same to the GSD with a bit more force. They were best buds from then on out with no further issues.
I sure do miss those girls.

^^^^^^^^^^^. This, times 10,000.

If your dogs understand that YOU are the alpha and what behavior YOU will tolerate, you’ll have no trouble. We have four, two five year Australian Shepherds, (one male, one female), a three year old Queensland Heeler male, and a 1.5 year old Great Pyrenees / Anatolian Shepherd x International Man of Mystery female. All play grabass with each other, but they know better than to take it any further.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys, it’s much appreciated. I’m fairly confident that I could make it work, and if needed I could always hire a trainer for some help...but I doubt that would be necessary.

Now I just have to get my wife onboard to a boston terrier pup. She has french bulldogs stuck in her head...so I’m not sure I’ll be able to get this girl the rescue told me to apply for.

Really sucks because there’s nothing wrong with her...the previous owners were intending on using her for breeding and gave her vaccinations themselves that were likely old and she had a reaction to the shots. That’s why they dumped her at the rescue.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post