SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need suggestions for seized oil filter removal on a 7.3 powerstroke. **UPDATE, filter off**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need suggestions for seized oil filter removal on a 7.3 powerstroke. **UPDATE, filter off** Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
What I would be saying (not to be mean) is yup use an aftermarket filter and all will not be good. Why anyone does that I have not a clue.
I race stuff and whenever there is an incident with oil on the track 99.9++++% of the time an aftermarket filter is involved.

It's an Amsoil filter,they are high quality.

Posts: 4222 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Lots of bad advice in this thread from people who obviously have never owned a Powerstroke. I had this problem once and destroyed the filter with a screwdriver trying to remove the filter. Get a rubber strap wrench and attach it as close to the filter housing as possible (I got mine from Lowes). The filter is stronger there so it should come right off. Worst case you can pull the filter housing off the oil cooler to remove the filter. Depending on the miles on your truck the orings will need replaced eventually anyway. That's a last resort though since it would involve a lot of labor and you would have to drain all your oil and coolant to remove the filter end cap of the cooler (plus the gaskets are about $70). I run the Amsoil filter and HD oil on my 7.3 so I feel your pain.

Posts: 4222 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Not intended as an insult, but are you turning the correct direction?

Is there any chance its left-threaded?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
If you take it to someone to break the oil filter loose, just let them change the damn oil and provide the oil and filter.....geez, it's not that expensive, even on a diesel. How much time are you going to waste with this. To do it yourself costs 80% of what you'd pay to have someone just do the entire oil change.

Obviously you've never owned a diesel, he is using Amsoil synthetic so an oil change with 17 quarts of synthetic oil is probably around $200.

Which is probably why the oil filter is stuck so hard on there, it's been on there for 4 years and a forever most likely.

I do oil changes on diesels all of the time. The difference is, they hold a heck of a lot more than a measly powerstroke. Some take full synthetic mobil 1 as well at $45 per gallon x 15 gallons per engine. 1300 HP, 12 cylinder MAN common rails. I did miss his synthetic comment, well regardless just take it to someone with your oil and filter and pay them to get the oil filter off and change the oil if you can't do it yourself. Having the oil changed on a vehicle is about the cheapest maintenance expense that a mechanic charges.

In vehicles that don't see a lot of miles in a short period of time, switching to synthetic and longer drain intervals is much more detrimental than dyno oil and shorter (sooner) intervals. Oil doesn't really break down, it gets contaminants in it (fuel, carbon, wear metals, AND condensation), so if you don't drive the vehicle a ton of miles, doubling the length of time the oil is in the engine, causes more wear. Every diesel manufacturer I know recommends changing the oil annually regardless of time.

On a side note, a good buddy of mine is a good diesel mechanic and drives a powerstroke. He pours drain oil, up to 10 gallons into a tank with 10 gallons or so of diesel and simply filters it with a paint funnel. No changes to the engine at all. The engine runs great on it and he's been doing it for 10 years now.......He does an oil change on a yacht and walks out to the parking lot and pours the drain oil directly into his fuel tanks. LOL

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
If you take it to someone to break the oil filter loose, just let them change the damn oil and provide the oil and filter.....geez, it's not that expensive, even on a diesel. How much time are you going to waste with this. To do it yourself costs 80% of what you'd pay to have someone just do the entire oil change.

Obviously you've never owned a diesel, he is using Amsoil synthetic so an oil change with 17 quarts of synthetic oil is probably around $200.

Which is probably why the oil filter is stuck so hard on there, it's been on there for 4 years and a forever most likely.

I do oil changes on diesels all of the time. The difference is, they hold a heck of a lot more than a measly powerstroke. Some take full synthetic mobil 1 as well at $45 per gallon x 15 gallons per engine. 1300 HP, 12 cylinder MAN common rails. I did miss his synthetic comment, well regardless just take it to someone with your oil and filter and pay them to get the oil filter off and change the oil if you can't do it yourself. Having the oil changed on a vehicle is about the cheapest maintenance expense that a mechanic charges.

In vehicles that don't see a lot of miles in a short period of time, switching to synthetic and longer drain intervals is much more detrimental than dyno oil and shorter (sooner) intervals. Oil doesn't really break down, it gets contaminants in it (fuel, carbon, wear metals, AND condensation), so if you don't drive the vehicle a ton of miles, doubling the length of time the oil is in the engine, causes more wear. Every diesel manufacturer I know recommends changing the oil annually regardless of time.

On a side note, a good buddy of mine is a good diesel mechanic and drives a powerstroke. He pours drain oil, up to 10 gallons into a tank with 10 gallons or so of diesel and simply filters it with a paint funnel. No changes to the engine at all. The engine runs great on it and he's been doing it for 10 years now.......He does an oil change on a yacht and walks out to the parking lot and pours the drain oil directly into his fuel tanks. LOL

I think those filters are made for yearly changes

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Good excuse to install a remote filter setup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13986 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

Definitely agree with this Smile I run the Amsoil dual bypass on my new Duramax. Cleaner oil is never a bad thing IMO.

On a related note. My last two vehicles, Cadillac CTS-V and a Sierra 2500HD, had the stock filters on so tight it took a full turn with a large screwdriver pounded through the filter using a hammer to pound on the screwdriver to get it to move before I could turn it by hand. HAND TIGHT 3/4 of a turn after gasket makes contact. Never had a filter fall off in my 53 years Wink

Posts: 1823 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Not intended as an insult, but are you turning the correct direction?

Is there any chance its left-threaded?

Good question but nope, they are right hand threads.

If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

All that would gain him is having a stuck filter he could reach versus being under the truck.

Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I contacted some shops today. Will be going to one that a friend recommend (knows the owner personally and they have 5 star ratings on Yelp and Google) in the morning to get this filter off. I had to put the old oil back in after I did filter it even though I drained it into a clean container. have good oil pressure and no leaks. the shop is less than 5 miles. hope all goes well and it is just stuck like hell and they are able to free it up to get it off without any major other work needed.

jimmy123x - I get what your saying. but like a lot of folks I do my own oil changes. always have. there has been a few new vehicles I let the dealer do during the warranty period strictly as a CYA on my part for any warranty claims related to the drive train. I do run amsoil oils so there is no shop in my area that stocks the oil for an oil change at will. I haven't wasted a bunch of time. I have my setup and can do an oil change in less time it would take to go to a shop and wait for it and then drive back home. I didn't spend all day on this. used the wrenches at hand and they didn't work. and its not my primary vehicle at the time, so having it down for a day or two doesn't hurt. hence asking for a suggestion or two before heading off to a shop. since I do all of my own work I don't have a regular shop I go to for repairs. so before I head off to an unknown shop I figured I would ask the question here since there is such a huge amount of knowledge within our members. I have yet to see a subject matter mentioned in any thread throughout this forum that there wasn't at least one member with first hand knowledge on the matter. the oil has to be ordered, whether by me, a local distributor or a local shop. I can order it as needed with a 25% discount as a preferred customer. so its actually less expensive for me to order it to my door and do the change myself. believe me with 17qts of oil to change I have shopped around and priced local shops to do it. but its just not cost effective to do so, using the amsoil products. and doing it myself I know that the $200 oil was actually poured into my engine and not replaced by shop oil and now sits in a techs vehicle. I have worked in the auto service industry for many years, have an older brother that was a technician for 30+yrs, so I am very familiar with good and bad techs. I'm the type that if I can do it myself then I will. unless it involves some sort of expensive specialty tool then I can do the repairs at home. I do change the oil once a year per amsoil. yes they have a certain extended life oil filter for this application that I do use and is designed for annual oil changes. some folks even just change the filter out keep the oil going using oil analysis reports for a couple of years. I have done the math and its less expensive to do it this way then to change it myself or at shop/dealer 3-4 times a year. amsoil is an excellent product with an excellent reputation. I did call amsoil and the tech dept said they have never had a complaint about a filter not coming off, even ones that are a year or two old. like I said early in the post, this is the first time in a few decades that I have personally seen a filter this damn tight. even in the years I worked in shops I never had one that wouldn't come off with traditional oil filter wrenches. but there is a first for everything. if I had a million dollar plus yacht then I would let you change the oil on it.

and I don't understand the whole running used oil or 2 stroke oil in diesel engine. I might be wrong but I have never seen a manufacture or shop manual recommend this. I have read where folks do this but its not a normal thing. most diesel owners I have known in person or talked to on the internet forums don't do this. I'm glad it works for your friend. but not something I would ever do. when I first got into owning a diesel I came across this procedure. further investigation I found a few reports that showed it didn't help anything at all. not that it ruined anything but it didn't help either. but to each his own. again if I had a million dollar yacht I would probably try it out. because if I did screw something up I would have the $10-15K to replace the engine.

Sig2340 - yep I have seen that happen. ha ha, yes I'm turning it the right way. I have double triple checked that and it is right hand thread.

mrvmax - yes its Amsoil and yes its a $200 oil change. it retails for $11 qt and the filter is $20-25. its the 10w-40 HD/marine oil for pre-2007 models. thanks for feeling the financial pain on this particular style of oil change. I have used a nylon strap wrench with a 1/2" drive. I even placed a piece of bicycle inner tube wrapped around the filter under the nylon strap to add more grip. and used a second wrench at same time. all that did was break the square tubing attached to the strap. I did eyeball the filter housing but that would definitely be a last resort at a shop. and yes running a remote filter doesn't guarantee a non sticking filter. the placement of the filter is not why it is stuck.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Running used motor oil or 2 cycle oil. My buddy runs the used drain oil because he gets tons of it for free.....and well a gallon of diesel = $2.50 a gallon of drain oil is free.

People run the oil because prior to recently, diesel fuel was low sulfer. Sulfer is a lubricant. Now it is ultra low sulfer so people say it's best to add a lubricant to replace the extra sulfer that was in the fuel previously.

Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
First, thanks for all the suggestions.

Went to shop this morning and was able to break loose filter. Owner had to man handle it a few times, let out a few grunts doing so, with a heavy duty wrench. Owner went ahead and swapped out with my new filter. I had the oil also and was going to pay him to change. But he is an Asian repair shop and said that was ok, he just wanted to get the filter for me. I offered to pay for the filter replacement and he said no charge and have a bless day. He wouldn't take payment even after offering a couple more times. Fist time I met the guy. This was a reference through a friend that is the father of one the girls my daughter is friends with. So all is good.

As a side note I know around here we all like to here about "good people". This guy was that, good people. His shop is a two bay single lift old shop that his dad started many years ago. Him and 3 other techs all about the same age. All friendly. Very limited parking due to a small lot full of work. He said he has been working there since he was 8. Evidently his father passed a few years ago and he has kept the business going since. He appeared to be in his early 30's. He mentioned in conversation. He is a gear head and a big Chevy fan despite making a living repairing Asian autos. His "shop" vehicle with obvious mods was sitting out front, a previous gen Vette. He does 1/2 mile runs. Does a click over 150, wants to get to over 200. We talked about the TX mile, which I used to attend when in TX, and he has plans to go one of these years. His shop has 4.8 and 5 star reviews on Yelp and Google. He came across as one of the good ones. I know we are constantly bombarded by all the messed up crap and evil in this world. But it's nice when you actually get to talk in person to one of the good ones.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I love the "good guy" stories. World needs more of them.

Glad you got the filter issue handled.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's good news.....maybe send some pizza's over there for lunch one day as a thank you.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Great story with a great ending. Sounds like you found a real garage for future problems. Honest folks and shops are hard to find.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10988 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked out.